The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
chopttop

Lowering a C30 motorhome.

Have had a C30 w/motorhome on frame for 4 years now, 350/400. Took it to Sturgis first year, ran well but stopping was a b'itch, would like to use it more. Been reading on swapping crossmembers from newer truck to get disks. Found a donor truck, '80 C30, w/mid 80's , low millage, 454. will remove engine, front suspension, 6 newer michelin tires, newly reduilt 4 speed w/granny gear? and what ever I need and scrap the rest, paid $700.
I have a '71 w/dropped spindles/springs and shocks front and dropped leafs in rear. I would like to do the same to the '70 and should not have a problem w/the '80 suspension, what is the best thing for the rear w/the springs?
Would love to dropmember and bag it, would be the shts to lay frame w/a big old classic motorhome But have to many classics needing different mods.
'90 Harley FL, 127 Ultima engine w/6 speed, Blk & chrome
chopttop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Lowering a C30 motorhome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopttop View Post
Have had a C30 w/motorhome on frame for 4 years now, 350/400. Took it to Sturgis first year, ran well but stopping was a b'itch, would like to use it more. Been reading on swapping crossmembers from newer truck to get disks. Found a donor truck, '80 C30, w/mid 80's , low millage, 454. will remove engine, front suspension, 6 newer michelin tires, newly reduilt 4 speed w/granny gear? and what ever I need and scrap the rest, paid $700.
I have a '71 w/dropped spindles/springs and shocks front and dropped leafs in rear. I would like to do the same to the '70 and should not have a problem w/the '80 suspension, what is the best thing for the rear w/the springs?
Would love to dropmember and bag it, would be the shts to lay frame w/a big old classic motorhome But have to many classics needing different mods.
C30 drop spindles for the front & shackles/hangers or flip kit for the rear. Add some helper air bags to ensure adequate capacity when necessary.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 11-20-2010 at 06:00 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
stomper

Did you ever get this accomplished? I am exploring doing something with my Winnebago.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

When I worked on a 72 Beaver Tail camper, it actually had a modified crossmember from the builder that contained (and this is true) a 215lb ingot of lead held to the crossmember with 3 huge lags. It was designed to balast the overhang of the rear body off the frame.

I'm not sure if you'd run into anything like that, but removing that peice of lead meant the camper was a wheel stander....

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote