The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
SactoJim

Broke!

Number of weeks ago I was beating on my truck a bit and pushed the oil dipstick out and sprayed oil everywhere.....it puzzled me a bit but I didn't think too much of it and cleaned it all up. Truck sat for a week or so until I drove it next...upon starting it up I noticed it was pushing alot of air past the breathers....something wasn't right.

Leakdown test revealed 2 bad cylinders..DAMN!...nothing wrong with the top end...cylinder heads look fine. Motor has to come out...DOUBLE DAM! 3 pistons with broken ring lands.....forged SRP's....TRIPLE BACKFLIPS DAMN!. Luckily the cylinder bores look perfect and no further damage was done.

DETONATION is not your friend!!!

I suppose now would be the best time to do a LS swap, but as much as I envy a lot of you guys building some way cool LS motors, I can't help but like the "old school" feel of having a traditional small block in my truck, not to mention my combo has worked really well (until this "little" hiccup) and is a kick to drive on the street.

So have to order some new pistons, rings, bearings...blah blah blah......basically refresh the motor. I am going to go to a hydraulic roller cam so I don't have to worry about the lack of zinc in oil these days, not to mention I should pick up some hp with the right cam and not change the truck's street manners. Might as well freshen up the tranny too!!!

Currently the truck does have a MSD 6A with an adjustable timing unit added so I can adjust timing from the cab. I am upgrading to a MSD BTM that backs timing out as boost comes up. Also seriously considering water/meth injection system for some additional wiggle room. Anybody have any experience with water/meth injection?....feedback appreciated.

Thanks for reading my long post......it serves as therapy!!!!!!

- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
rcrahn

Re: Broke!

Sorry to hear....Detonation does suck! It hammered the bearings on my Pontiac 462.
I've always admired your truck and it is a perfect candidate for LSx. You really should reconsider it for drivability, reliability and durability they can't be beat.
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Lee H

Ouch!

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Google is your friend.

............http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=...w=1144&bih=618

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
HotRod C/10

I used Water?Meth on my 06 dodge cummins.....great power adder (i used HEET). the water does a very nice job of cooling thengs down........look at SNOW Performance systems.

-1976 SILVERADO
YUBA GOLD/NEUTRAL (2-TONE)
HotRod C/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

How much boost and what was your C/R? You really need the boost referenced ignition.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
SactoJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Yes sir....I've Googled the sh*t out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
How much boost and what was your C/R? You really need the boost referenced ignition.
Posted via Mobile Device
Little blower only manages about 5-6 lbs max. Static compression is 9:1 with aluminum heads......and it will be boost referenced this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrahn View Post
Sorry to hear....Detonation does suck! It hammered the bearings on my Pontiac 462.
I've always admired your truck and it is a perfect candidate for LSx. You really should reconsider it for drivability, reliability and durability they can't be beat.
I agree, but for as often as I drive my truck and the setup I have now is very street friendly, just don't see the sense in making the switch now. Besides, I don't think my pockets are deep enough for what I would really want to do if I went LS! I do have a 68 anniversary that will go LS.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I'm feeling your pain Jim. DAYUM!! Sounds like we're on the same page. I love the old school vibe and the lack of "modern" issues for my mechanicals. These trucks are my escape from modern technology. I don't want a modern truck with an old look. I want an old truck. I know all the pluses of LS engines and I'm sure one day I'll go that route. For me,if it's a daily driver the LS is a benefit for today's needs. My next daily driver will be an older truck w/LS rather than a diesel.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote