The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Hart_Rod

Chassis from scratch question.

A buddy of mine is getting read to build a chassis from scratch. He's building a Rat Rod (he's got a 48 F#$D cab). He plans on using leaf springs in the back and a straight axle in the front with hair pins. Question is where do we start? The rear send pretty simple, but the front seems more complicated. Any links to sites that addresses this? Thanks in advance.

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
abadsvt

Re: Chassis from scratch question.

Do you have the old original frame? What i did for my frame is i took tons of measurments off the original frame then drew a to scale drawing of the frame then i modified what i wanted. It helps to find out the angles. If you don't have the original frame i think it would be a big help to track someone who is building a truck and take measurments off there frame. I hope that makes sence. Making the frame isn't the hard part in my own opinion, it is all the brackets that you have to make. They take the most time. Also I agree that the front of the frame is the harder than the rear but if you stand back and look at it, it isn't that complicated. What makes if appear difficult is all the cuts there is and on my frame it tapers in. If you built the front section (before it tapers down to the cab) and then build the cab on back and put some bars inbetween to keep the correct widths of the front and cab-rear section then it is easier to make that tapered angled cut. I hope that makes sence. If not let me know and i can post some pics of what i am talking about. I am not familiar with the 48 frame but i can't imagine it being much different. Also since you are using a straight axel for the front that should be easier than messing with control arms and bumpsteer. I hope i helped and by no means am I an expert. I am building my first project. Anyways good luck and let me know if i can help out more.

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #3
earl87gta

Re: Chassis from scratch question.

Do you have a speed way catalog if not I would check out thier website and get thier catalog they have all the parts you will need for the front end and a few pics of the frames they sell it may give you some idias. here is a link to thier web site. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Produc...isplay_id=3142 and a pic of the front end I think your talking about.
Attached Images