The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2006, 11:57 AM   #1
boomer

frame warped " a little"

After doing the driver side frame rail i noticed when i looked down the truck
that the frame rail was had moved a little. Not warped as in out to lunch warped but had sucked in a little after welding in the 2by4 tubing. I took some measurements from different points off the side of the tranny to the frame rails and after everything was said in done there was one point where there was an 1/8 of an inch difference between where i measured from the side of the tranny to the unaltered passenger side rail as compared to the boxed in one.

In a nutshell i took 2 exact points on each side of the tranny and measured across in 2 or 4 different spots to the inner lip on the top of the railand there was only 1 area that was out a bit.

I should have ran angle iron across the rails to prevent movement.

When i go to do the other side should although its a little late tack some angle iron across to each rail and stop the other one from moving out???

I hope this all makes sense. I hate preventable mistakes because its not like i shouldnt have know better that there would be movevement with heat. Im a welder for !!!!@ sakes. lol
boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: frame warped " a little"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
I took some measurements from different points off the side of the tranny to the frame rails and after everything was said in done there was one point where there was an 1/8 of an inch difference between where i measured from the side of the tranny to the unaltered passenger side rail as compared to the boxed in one.
For "X-measurements" (diagonal from one side to another) you don't want more than 1/8", and preferrably zero. Problem is, everything that goes on top of the frame amplifies the problem, so you often find yourself with misaligned jams and ill-fitting rockers, etc.

For the diagram below, finding 2 equivalent points on the frame, then measuring diagonally to 2 other equivalent points, you should get the same measurements. In this case, the green line should be equal to the blue line. If it's not, your frame is racked.
Attached Images

XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
boomer

i need help in a big way guys.

I will do the cross tape x measurement when my dad gets home and we can do that. But it's not science. I know its pooched. I took a torpedo level and a four foot level and stood it up beside the unaltered frame rail and it was almost bang on in all spots. I took it to the 2by4 tubing side and its so out to lunch i damn near felt a tear swell up in my eye.When the 4 foot is stood up the bottom of the frame rail sucked in like 1 inch all along the 3 feet that i boxed it in. I should have ran angle iron across to brace it so the heat wouldnt move it.

I don't know what the !!!! to do now. I am under the true assumption that my airbagged frame is now garbage for real. I dont think comealongs or anything like that is gonna work it out.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them before. Is there anything i can do.

My christmas feels ruined . lol
Old 12-25-2006, 12:09 AM   #4
boomer

Re: frame warped " a little"

My dad came over and laughed at me. Mr welder he says to me hey.
Anyway dont cry over spilt milk he says. Try some comealongs and a few long pieces of channel to try and straighten it out or cut that section right out and weld it back in straight, this time with bracing.

Not a big deal says the old schooler it's only a truck and youre already slicing it up anyway, just fix it and move on to the next piece. Damn i love having an old man who sees things in a different light. So ill keep you guys in tune to how it went and let you know if we got it staright or had to cut it out and reweld it.
I guess i chalk this one up for a learning experience..