The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2024, 01:03 AM   #1
kwmech

earthquake

Anybody local feel the shaking?? 2 quakes right after one another---about 25-30 seconds of continual movement made me believe something major had occurred in the San Francisco area. Nope..about a hundred miles from me in another mountain range. That was my excitement for the evening
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 04:16 AM   #2
Richard

Re: earthquake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Anybody local feel the shaking?? 2 quakes right after one another---about 25-30 seconds of continual movement made me believe something major had occurred in the San Francisco area. Nope..about a hundred miles from me in another mountain range. That was my excitement for the evening
Felt nothing where I am in Simi.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:54 AM   #3
Boog
laying low

Anybody fascinated with how those multistory buildings in Taiwan are still standing at such an incredible angle after their earthquake? It's crazy to see a building so large leaning so much without touching any other building. Looks like near 60* angle.
How does their building plans differ from ours to enable such a thing?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:02 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I don't watch the news, other than getting the weather report from my local news website. So, I'll check a story that shows up that strikes my interest. I didn't see anything. Funny how such things don't make the news. It was real for you I'm sure. I guess it was a low population area, so...

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:07 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post

There were actually 5 of them in that area.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...9011,-10.72266

Sometimes it looks like one or two but if you zoom in on it it separates them....

I check the USGS web site almost daily.

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:40 AM   #6
68panelman

We just had one about ten minutes ago here on the eastcoast, reports say a 4.8 located in Lebanon, New Jersey
I felt it sitting here at the kitchen island and the dish cupboard was rattling
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:06 PM   #7
72c20customcamper

Just got a emergency notice of aftershocks
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:37 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
2826 people have reported it to USGS so far.

-
Old 04-06-2024, 07:27 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I've seen more talk about the California quakes among people I know. The NJ quake is reported on MD news this morning and it was felt some places in MD. I had one quick jar that made a thump before knowing about the quake. It was so quick I wasn't sure if it wasn't me having some sort of spasm.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-06-2024, 10:11 AM   #10
68panelman

Any earthquake on the east coast is always a big deal, you mods can downplay all you want. The last one was Aug, 2011 and was a 5.8 in Mineral, Virginia, I felt that one too and it's exactly why I knew this one was an earthquake immediately upon happening.

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-06-2024 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Edited out the inappropriate comment
Old 04-06-2024, 11:11 AM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
Any earthquake on the east coast is always a big deal, you mods can downplay all you want. The last one was Aug, 2011 and was a 5.8 in Mineral, Virginia, I felt that one too and it's exactly why I knew this one was an earthquake immediately upon happening.

Sorry, I don't see where any Mods downplayed anything.

Personal attacks are not tolerated on this forum, so I edited out your comment on that.....

LockDoc, Moderator

-
Old 04-06-2024, 12:49 PM   #12
68panelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Sorry, I don't see where any Mods downplayed anything.

Personal attacks are not tolerated on this forum, so I edited out your comment on that.....

LockDoc, Moderator
This was in no means a personal attack and you only posted and removed what you wanted to be seen by the members, so post the whole thing next time so we are both on a fair playing field. Now I do feel like moderators are flexing their authority.
Your own post at 6:37 pm of only 2826 people reported it to USGS when it was actually felt by around 46 million is pure disinformation and actually facetious in my view.
Do as you must
Old 04-06-2024, 02:35 PM   #13
Greg58

Talking Re: earthquake

"Lighten up Francis"
1987 Chevy Suburban 2500, Silverado, 2wd, 454, t-400
2023 Chevy Silverado LT 3500, crew cab, longbox, 4x4 Z-71 Duramax.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 04:19 PM   #14
68bowtie

The USGS website allows the public to enter your address and if you felt it. The website shows the number of people that do that. That’s probably the number he is referencing. And perhaps the source of some miscommunication.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 10:38 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
This was in no means a personal attack and you only posted and removed what you wanted to be seen by the members, so post the whole thing next time so we are both on a fair playing field. Now I do feel like moderators are flexing their authority.
Your own post at 6:37 pm of only 2826 people reported it to USGS when it was actually felt by around 46 million is pure disinformation and actually facetious in my view.
Do as you must
When you call the moderators ignorant that is a personal attack. I don't care how you see it....

When I checked the USGS web site and posted, 2826 reports is exactly what it showed. Maybe you should contact The USGS and chew their a$$ out for not updating it quick enough, Just don't call me ignorant or I certainly will flex my authority..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
The USGS website allows the public to enter your address and if you felt it. The website shows the number of people that do that. That’s probably the number he is referencing. And perhaps the source of some miscommunication.
That is obviously what happened, and it may have been updated shortly after I posted. That still doesn't give him any right to call me or any other Moderator ignorant.

-
Old 04-07-2024, 06:04 AM   #16
LT7A

I've been through a couple of earthquakes, one took down parts of buildings in the area where I work. I don't know anyone who reported it to the USGS. What an I missing here? I don't see how the number of people who report it necessarily has anything to do with the number of people who experienced it. All I can see is that number of people who report it is relevant as an interesting data point.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 09:26 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Do as you must
I have noticed you seem to carry with you this notion that moderators over flex their authority. It's time for you to take a hard look at yourself to see where this might be coming from, because your thoughts couldn't be further from the truth. This forum has the great benefit of having a very fair group of moderators and I'm sure the body of membership will agree. I guess I missed something here, so I have no comment on this specific occurrence. But I will say that this east coast earthquake we just experienced, while a big deal to us, needs no downplay. In the full scope of things it really was no big deal. As far as I know there has been no damage reported, therefore it is rated as a small quake. It is a big deal to us because they seldom occur for us, so thoughts turn to what's going on in the bigger picture. The quake in 2011 was a big deal, being 1/3 yet stronger, felt over a much larger area, and with damage to many structures even beyond the epicenter. The National Cathedral in Wash DC required serious repairs. www.cathedral.org

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-08-2024 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:27 PM   #18
Micmac

There was a significant one in my old hometown of Sparta, NC before I moved to Maine three years ago. It was significant. 5plus I believe. Often there are mini earthquakes in Eastport, Maine some 15 mile away I don’t feel.
1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster with Sidecar.
2012 Indian Chief Serial #002 of 110 built in '12
2016 Indian Chief Roadmaster
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 12:44 PM   #19
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I've been through a couple of earthquakes, one took down parts of buildings in the area where I work. I don't know anyone who reported it to the USGS. What an I missing here? I don't see how the number of people who report it necessarily has anything to do with the number of people who experienced it. All I can see is that number of people who report it is relevant as an interesting data point.

If you fill out the questionnaire you'll see the involvement. Where, intensity, duration, motion etc. anything else significant...it's part of the science. It's more than if you just felt it. I always fill them out. If they can get to the point of prediction..I'm all for it. Although Dutchinse does a pretty close job
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 02:21 PM   #20
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Anybody fascinated with how those multistory buildings in Taiwan are still standing at such an incredible angle after their earthquake? It's crazy to see a building so large leaning so much without touching any other building. Looks like near 60* angle.
How does their building plans differ from ours to enable such a thing?
Much like Japan and to some extent here in the bay area, newer buildings (from whenever it becomes relevant for a particular area) are built more and more to suit the environment they're in. Much like in other parts of the country we build for hurricanes and tornados.

A guy that I work closely with was there on vacation with his family. They were in a taxi on their way to that town that had the buildings tip over. The driver pulled over to the side of the road. My friend said it was 30+ seconds of the most violent movement he'd ever experienced. He was here for Loma Prieta for reference. Police shut down the roads, trains and most any transportation corridors until they could be inspected. My friend and his family sat with their driver on the side of the road for a little over 3 hours. It was around 9 am their time. 6pm or so ours. They ended up having to turn around and head back to their air bnb because a bridge on the way to their destination had collapsed.

As far as the quake that we had the other day here, i didn't feel it. Was likely driving at the time.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 11:43 PM   #21
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I have noticed you seem to carry with you this notion that moderators flex their authority. It's time for you to take a hard look at yourself to see where this might be coming from, because your thoughts couldn't be further from the truth. This forum has the great benefit of having a very fair group of moderators and I'm sure the body of membership will agree. I guess I missed something here, so I have no comment on this specific occurrence. But I will say that this east coast earthquake we just experienced, while a big deal to us, needs no downplay. In the full scope of things it really was no big deal. As far as I know there has been no damage reported, therefore it is rated as a small quake. It is a big deal to us because they seldom occur for us, so thoughts turn to what's going on in the bigger picture. The quake in 2011 was a big deal, being 1/3 yet stronger, felt over a much larger area, and with damage to many structures even beyond the epicenter. The National Cathedral in Wash DC required serious repairs. www.cathedral.org
Don’t forget the Washington monument as well. I remember that quake vividly. I remember another one when I was in high school 20+ years ago that was centered around Lovettsville Va, that was really weak but still garnered a fair amount of attention. Glad everyone is seemingly ok on the east coast and CA.

I don’t see any mod foul play here at all. Leon is the last person in the world to “flex” for no reason.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote