The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Mac Arnold

Need advice on electric choke

I connected the electric choke (which wasnt connected previously) when I installed my new wiring harness. When I start the truck I have to keep the gas petal pressed down a little until the engine reaches around 120 degrees before it will idle on its own, once its warm it runs fine. It has a Demon carb with electric choke. Could it be the elctric choke isnt working? And does it need to be replaced? I am brand new with working on a truck like this so if someone could please share some info, I would really appreciate it.
Mac Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Craig Groombridge

Re: Need advice on electric choke

On some older trucks they used a switch to opperate the battery power to choke ran by oil pressure. Is the wire live when the truck is running? it should have 12 volts only when running and nothing when key on engine off, Also is the choke set right on the carb?
Craig Groombridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Mac Arnold

Craig, I had to go and check again. The power is switched so it sends 12v as soon as I turn the key. As far as whether or not it is set right, im not too sure!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Craig Groombridge

There lines on the plastic part and lines on the carb housing, I'm not sure witch way you need to turn it but only move it one line at a time untill it will run cold.. this will take a few days to set. When you are done the truck should idle without needing foot feed.
Craig Groombridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Mac Arnold

Craig, Thank you for the help. You were right it definately does take a few days to set. I thought I had it Fri night and then by Sat am, there was no difference. It almost feels as though the little plastic arm that raises and lowers the linkage is stripped out. If I push it down by hand it starts great and opens fine, but it wont close I have to push it back down by hand. I think I will buy a new one and start all over.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
msgdsrf

Mac, don't know if your still at this but I've been in the same boat. I don't think that it's a question of not working, but not "setting". One thing that help out a bunch was lubricating the choke cam area. Seems it was just not "setting". So one pump of the gas to set choke and prime, then ignition. Mine now fires up on choke but still fine tuning the spring.

Where do you have your choke spring set now? Mine is with elec. connection at about 4 oclock now to keep it from flooding, now that it's setting.
msgdsrf is offline   Reply With Quote