The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
EagleChief

Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Alright - So looking for any and all input. Wife and I decided to do an LS swap in my '71. The current motor is from an '88 Suburban and has issues. It's tired, worn out, has blow by, uses coolant, loses coolant, smokes, stinks, and just plain sucks.

This truck is going to my son, eventually (he's 4), so I want it to last and be good to go for him when he starts driving. Plus, I want to be able to just jump in, hit the key, and take off when I want.

Now, to my issue... I'm trying to read and learn and make a spreadsheet of what I'm going to need to make the swap happen. Problem is, I've never attempted a engine swap before, let alone going to a modern engine. I can turn a wrench, and like doing my own work if I can (with guidance and help and YouTube). But this is going to be the largest thing I've ever done. At the same time, I've been getting quotes from a few places on how much it would cost to have it done due to time constraints (I have 2 kids, 4 and 2, with another one due at the end of the year.

I know I need a '99 and up 5.3 and a 4l60e transmission. I have a local salvage that has the setup - 2004 with 120k miles and it comes with everything. It's still in the truck. It has the accessories, harness, computer, transmission, and it has a 45 day warranty. They want $1750 for it. Is that a decent price? My issue, if I can hear it run, I don't really know what I'm listening for - other than knocks or taps. But, if I hear/don't hear those, I don't know how to diagnose the motor if it's good or bad - other than the common sense type stuff. I'm not even sure if they are able to start it up for me. I just briefly talked to them on the phone a couple of days ago.

That's the main question. The next question - does someone have a comprehensive list of what all I'm going to need to make this happen? Cooling system, fuel system, engine/transmission, exhaust, and "extras" are my sub-divided systems in my spreadsheet I'm trying to make.

I did find a thread on here that had a cost breakdown of member's builds. I saved a couple of those builds, but being completely new to this, it's just mumbo-jumbo right now, until I fully get into doing this.

Now, I know there are a "crap-ton" of threads on this. But, I've been reading what I can and it just confuses the heck out of me. Mainly because I see lots of different inputs and ways to do it. Now, I know I'm inviting that here. But, I need a good starting point. Even down to who has the engine mounts that will work (currently have Dirty Dingo engine mounts on my list).

Thanks for the help and guidance to this new guy.

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197

LS Swap Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811460
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote