The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
outlawdan

88 350 tech tips?????????????????????????

I want to mess with the 350 in my lifted 88 blazer. I want to give it alittle more power for when I am offroading. I could use some help on what I should do? I just ordered some headers. Can I change the cam on these fuel injected motors? Can I change the intake? I want to stay fuel injected? but would a carb work that much better.? Any input for alittle more power would be great.

With this truck I just bought a new set of 35 bfg mud tires. I am going to swap ro a 14 bolt rear with 4.10 gears. I have a 700r trans. 6 inch lift.
outlawdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: 88 350 tech tips?????????????????????????

I've used the Edelbrock TBI intake manifold on two of my fuel injected trucks and have noticed a definite improvement in power on them.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
outlawdan

I tight have to dig one up. Do you recomend a cam swap
Old 03-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
outlawdan

would a 454 t-body help?\
Old 03-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I've never done the 454 throttle body mod so I can't speak to that. Be damn careful with your cam swap. Speed density fuel injection is very sensitive to cam selection.

If you haven't read it yet, there is a very good article on tbichips.com detailing mods for tbi engines. He's also the go-to guy for chips.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 03-19-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
outlawdan

thats what i thought.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
stich626
Account Suspended

you can go to mas air flow..
with that set up..

g.m. used both..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
FritzA

I like the TBI, but I know it will never be a barnburner. It is fine for trucks and for offroading. It can give plenty of torque but will never be good for highrevving or drag racing. For offroading and the strange angles you guys get into it is superior to carbs imho.

Headers and the rest of the exhaust system are a good start. The other important first thing is the air-cleaner set-up, the stock one is a major restriction and will kill any other mods, replace it with an open element or off-road type tube and cone. A cam and intake manifold after the headers and you will really feel it. Then move up to a custom chip, better fuel pump and a modified throttle body and you will really enjoy it.

There are plenty of cams you will like. Most important on these engines is don't overdo the cam. The "rv" type will give the torque where you need it and work with the stock chip. Check out the Melling MTC-1, Summit has a nice cam, lifter kit for around $125. If you replace the cam, make sure you get new valve spings, they are another limiting area for these engines. The late 80s early 90s Z28 springs are inexpensive and fit right in.

BEFORE you start with the mods, read these sites/threads. You will learn a great deal and get an idea how to put the "package" together. There is never just 1 secret part...it is everything tied together (sorry, you probably know that, can't stop myself from saying it).

Harris Performance has this site: http://tbichips.com/ Great info, read the tbi mods thread for small-block trucks. Then look at his eBay store for his chips. I give him 5 thumbs-up!

Right here on this board is a great thread covering lot's of aspects of TBI: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317519 Great input from rfmaster!!! I give him 5 thumbs-up too!

The Camaro guys also have a nice tech forum on TBI: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tbi/

Good luck. Please post what mods you make and what you think about them.
FritzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
FritzA

The 454 throttle-body is overkill unless it is a a highly modified small-block and punched out to a 383. The 350 throttle-body is fine with a couple improvements.

There are about 3 places that can help with the mods. On the tbichips site he has a link to rvmorsemachine.

I would also look at extremeefi's eBay store. Good parts and even complete modified throttle-bodies. http://stores.ebay.com/Xtremefi
FritzA is offline   Reply With Quote