The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
Pvmt-Pndr

Re: 1989 GMC 6000 Pickup/Toy Conversion

Good catch on the springs.

What's the plan for it aside from putting a bed on it. It seems like this truck was waiting for you since everything lands perfect and the hard stuff is done.

If you're going to use it like a regular pick up pull some leafs out and put a set of air bags on it. I can't tell h oe many leafs you have currently because the angle of the pictures. It'd be the best of both worlds. I haven't decided if that's the route I'm going to go or not with mine. I also have onboard air too.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:48 AM   #2
Bigdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr View Post
Good catch on the springs.

What's the plan for it aside from putting a bed on it. It seems like this truck was waiting for you since everything lands perfect and the hard stuff is done.

If you're going to use it like a regular pick up pull some leafs out and put a set of air bags on it. I can't tell h oe many leafs you have currently because the angle of the pictures. It'd be the best of both worlds. I haven't decided if that's the route I'm going to go or not with mine. I also have onboard air too.
I pretty well plan to use it as a normal pickup, and for some towing. I'm not too sure that I can pull leaves as simply as a normal spring pack, on these medium duty trucks it seems half the pack comes into the whole from each end. It actually doesn't ride TOO horribly, just a hair stiffer than a one ton truck in my opinion. One thing this truck does not have is an air compressor, which is alright with me but would be nice to have at some point. Air horns would be fun
Bigdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:59 AM   #3
Bigdually

After I got the gear swap done it was time to get down to setting my bed on the truck! After some measurements and figuring, I came up with a subframe made from 6" channel bolted to the truck frame and a couple cross members welded between. Then I used a 1" piece of vulcanized rubber (hockey pucks!) as body mounts for each mounting point on the bed I was pretty happy with the results of this, and the body lines ended up being nearly spot on.

I enlisted the help of my dad, my girlfriend's dad, and my girlfriend's brother in getting the bed manhandled up that high and onto the truck. First couple pics are of just after we set it on. The next is of the subframe, pay no mind to the slag and rust. Everything is coming apart and getting cleaned up and painted when the truck is taken back apart for paint at some point. The final couple show the lineup.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2020, 02:26 AM   #4
Bigdually

Setting the bed on left me with another issue, a crazy looking hitch sticking way low and way back on the truck frame. Plus with the bed my sweet trailer taillights were looking a little ugly So obviously, it was first things first, swap the huge truck steering wheel out for a nice Sierra Classic wheel! After that critical modification was completed, I ever so gently sawzalled the excess frame, which made the rear end look better instantly and was highly satisfying. After that it was onto the less fun but just as satisfying task of making all the lights work on the bed. That part for me really made it seem like a whole truck, not just a medium duty chassis with a bed sitting on it.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2020, 02:41 AM   #5
Bigdually

After this, while driving, I noticed that on long hills and under hard acceleration I seemed to be running out of fuel. Some fuel system maintenance showed why, the poor filter had to be about to collapse! I fixed that right up, and installed a wonderful new Edelbrock 650 with an electric choke and a dual feed line to replace the worn and overcomplicated factory Holley. No more running the float bowls dry now

Also around this time my amazing girlfriend bought me a bedmat for the truck for my birthday. She's definitely a keeper!!
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #6
STPETEBLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdually View Post
Also around this time my amazing girlfriend bought me a bedmat for the truck for my birthday. She's definitely a keeper!!
Where did she get the bed mat? LMC? Does it have the cutout for the fuel filler housings on both sides?
STPETEBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:17 AM   #7
Bigdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by STPETEBLUE View Post
Where did she get the bed mat? LMC? Does it have the cutout for the fuel filler housings on both sides?
The mat came from a local custom trucks place, they sell toppers and tonneau covers and ANY other accessories you can even think of. Basically a walk-in JC Whitney I forget the brand but it is very good quality and thick rubber, and it does have both cutouts for the fuel filler necks.