The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #51
Johns 66

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Work and the holidays have kept me busy lately and away from the truck. My truck was originally Light Green #503. In paying homage to the originality of the truck, I am going to paint some items under the hood in the original color. I am going to do the firewall, air cleaner, master cylinder, underside of hood and some other odds and ends. I started painting the air cleaner today. I loved the look of the old batwing air cleaners...so I bought one last year.

This is the bottom portion of the air cleaner in #503. Still need to clear coat it. Debating whether I need high heat clear or not. Will post more as I paint more of the parts.
Quote:
I have determined I like painting...going to upstate NY for Christmas...best part is I am going to "learn" how to weld and my wife's Uncle has a full shop at his house with a full sized paint booth...so I am going to try to get some pointers and pick his brain on painting.

Anyway, here is the top of the batwing air cleaner. Will get it cleared tomorrow or when I get back after Christmas. I think it will give the engine bay a nice pop of color.

Andy these look great!!!!
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #52
roll_the_dice

OK, got back from vacation/holiday on January 2nd and waiting for me was a "new" steering wheel that my buddy John (Johns 66) sent me. He knew I had been looking for a good wheel to restore and he said he had one he would send me. I got it and it was exactly what I wanted...not a ton of damage and a deluxe wheel to boot!

Thanks again John!

I think I am going to get PC-7 epoxy to repair the wheel and send the chrome off to get re-chromed. Should be awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #53
Johns 66

Andy...You are quite welcome...Im sure its gonna look great when you get it restored....
Old 01-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #54
roll_the_dice

I have been looking for a Vintage 1965 GA plate for my truck. I have seen many, but none with the correct county code. I could register any county code, but wanted one for the county I grew up in and currently live in Chatham County. The correct county code is 3....Found one last night...and bought it! Should have it by the end of the week (I think). Can't decide whether to restore it or leave it as is. Leaning towards leaving as is. It is in good shape, but will clean it up some when I receive it.

I am happy with this find. I think it will look great on the back of the truck.

The websites I found are www.tagdr.com (many states offered) and www.georgiaplates.com and for SC, FL, NC, VA residents...www.scplates.com.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #55
Johns 66

Quote:
I have been looking for a Vintage 1965 GA plate for my truck. I have seen many, but none with the correct county code. I could register any county code, but wanted one for the county I grew up in and currently live in Chatham County. The correct county code is 3....Found one last night...and bought it! Should have it by the end of the week (I think). Can't decide whether to restore it or leave it as is. Leaning towards leaving as is. It is in good shape, but will clean it up some when I receive it.

I am happy with this find. I think it will look great on the back of the truck.

The websites I found are www.tagdr.com (many states offered) and www.georgiaplates.com and for SC, FL, NC, VA residents...www.scplates.com.
This is so cool Andy.....Luckily my truck came with the original tag so I do have that. I did talk to the DMV here and was told I could restore ( paint) the tag. Its especially cool for me since I also have the original keys for the truck. Im thinking of restoring mine, mine is in pretty good shape but am gonna do some research on the exact colors for mine....

Im glad you were able to get this nice piece for your truck...gonna look sharp!!!!

BTW Got my clock in today.....now just the tach Im waiting on
Old 01-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #56
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
This is so cool Andy.....Luckily my truck came with the original tag so I do have that. I did talk to the DMV here and was told I could restore ( paint) the tag. Its especially cool for me since I also have the original keys for the truck. Im thinking of restoring mine, mine is in pretty good shape but am gonna do some research on the exact colors for mine....

Im glad you were able to get this nice piece for your truck...gonna look sharp!!!!

BTW Got my clock in today.....now just the tach Im waiting on
Thanks John. Yeah I am stoked. I think it is nice to have the original year plate for the truck...super cool you have "the" original!!

A couple of the links above restore them...I was told $110 for a plate. I googled restoring them, watched a few videos...I might try it myself, but I am sure I can't do as good as they would.

Awesome about the clock. I bought one this morning...NOS, but said it had something rattling inside, so mine will be a project, but the price was right...hopefully I can repair it. I don't want to drop a quartz movement in it or maybe I will install it and not worry about it working (probably not)
Old 01-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #57
Johns 66

Im sure its gonna look good...Only issue on the one we talked about and I bought is I think we may have to drill the face so that the clock adjustment knob shaft will come through the panel so as to be able to adjust the time.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #58
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Im sure its gonna look good...Only issue on the one we talked about and I bought is I think we may have to drill the face so that the clock adjustment knob shaft will come through the panel so as to be able to adjust the time.
You are correct. So when you send me your gauge cluster send both the old face and the new. I will use the old as a template for the new. That way, it should be easier. I have some good acrylic drill bits, so should get a good hole with no chipping.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #59
Johns 66

Quote:
You are correct. So when you send me your gauge cluster send both the old face and the new. I will use the old as a template for the new. That way, it should be easier. I have some good acrylic drill bits, so should get a good hole with no chipping.
Sounds good...Im gonna send you both my clusters...One is apart and the other complete. This will allow you to use what you think is best....we may can get rid of the factory tach as well Plus Im sending you some window crank handles, some felt lining that attaches to the door...where your arm rests...and a few other things...cant remember now what all is on the box.....getting old..lol
Old 01-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #60
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Sounds good...Im gonna send you both my clusters...One is apart and the other complete. This will allow you to use what you think is best....we may can get rid of the factory tach as well Plus Im sending you some window crank handles, some felt lining that attaches to the door...where your arm rests...and a few other things...cant remember now what all is on the box.....getting old..lol
HAHA I will text or call you when I get everything and get started so we can sort it all out and cannibalize one to make the other work!
Old 01-07-2019, 11:08 PM   #61
cwcarpenter98

That plate is sweet! I found a 63 tag over a year ago that was from Bartow County (28), but I'm still searching for a tag with the correct county code for Cherokee County (35). I didn't restore it because it was in pretty decent shape and it matches the rest of the truck lol

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:06 AM   #62
roll_the_dice

Thanks Christian! I agree, I will probably keep the plate as is. It will match my truck pretty good, since it is not nor will ever be a show truck.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:09 AM   #63
roll_the_dice

Picked up this NOS clock today...hopefully I can make it work in the gauge cluster like I want to.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #64
kdad

Wow that wheel is in great shape.. I'm sure it will look awesome when restored... great build.

Quote:
OK, got back from vacation/holiday on January 2nd and waiting for me was a "new" steering wheel that my buddy John (Johns 66) sent me. He knew I had been looking for a good wheel to restore and he said he had one he would send me. I got it and it was exactly what I wanted...not a ton of damage and a deluxe wheel to boot!

Thanks again John!

I think I am going to get PC-7 epoxy to repair the wheel and send the chrome off to get re-chromed. Should be awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #65
northern 85

Nice build!
northern 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 PM   #66
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdad View Post
Wow that wheel is in great shape.. I'm sure it will look awesome when restored... great build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northern 85 View Post
Nice build!
Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

I love the wheel...it will be perfect for the truck.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #67
roll_the_dice

Took my bench seat out today...found something interesting on the middle seat belt... Glad I was planning to upgrade the belts anyway. Nice heavy duty hook though.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #68
Johns 66

That is too funny...never know what you are gonna find when you start taking things apart.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #69
roll_the_dice

Nope, never know! At least I found out I have the custom cab bench seat. Going to replace the foam and cover before it goes back in the truck.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #70
kdad

That is a funny surprise to find. At least you got a very nice hook out of it. LOL. These trucks are a time capsule from a different era when you made do with what you had laying around.

Quote:
Took my bench seat out today...found something interesting on the middle seat belt... Glad I was planning to upgrade the belts anyway. Nice heavy duty hook though.

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #71
Johns 66

Funny thing about the hook is that it makes you wonder what the person was thinking....did they really think it would work, or did they do it just to get by.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #72
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdad View Post
That is a funny surprise to find. At least you got a very nice hook out of it. LOL. These trucks are a time capsule from a different era when you made do with what you had laying around.

Quote:
Funny thing about the hook is that it makes you wonder what the person was thinking....did they really think it would work, or did they do it just to get by.
It is crazy what people did...ingenious and what were you thinking all at the same time! My first thought was...glad they actually didn't need it to work in a crash situation.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:39 PM   #73
roll_the_dice

OK, got the carpet pulled out today and found ZERO rust.

I knew the high hump conversion was done since it was originally a on the column shift and when I bought on the floor. I guess they messed up the original cut for the transmission and covered it with thin metal. Will get that welded up after I get the transmission in and figure out where the hole needs to be....

Overall very pleased with the floor of the truck. I thought for sure I would have some metal work to do.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #74
Johns 66

Quote:
OK, got the carpet pulled out today and found ZERO rust.

I knew the high hump conversion was done since it was originally a on the column shift and when I bought on the floor. I guess they messed up the original cut for the transmission and covered it with thin metal. Will get that welded up after I get the transmission in and figure out where the hole needs to be....

Overall very pleased with the floor of the truck. I thought for sure I would have some metal work to do.
Andy..your floor is in great shape.....Glad that you don't have a lot of stuff to fix.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #75
cwcarpenter98

Lookin good man

That seatbelt mod is hilariously unsafe Replacing the old belts in my truck has been one of the best things I have done to it. I love having a shoulder belt now, and the new belts look better

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote