The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
68PanelTruck

Panel truck carpet question

Hi guys,
I'm looking for info on carpeting for the cab on my 68 Panel truck. I replaced the cab floor with a new reproduction made for a 69+ Blazer because a Panel specific one is not available. All of the carpeting available is listed for pickups, Suburbans or Blazers.
Question: Will a pickup carpet work? I'm thinking no because pickups have the gas tank behind the seat and maybe the carpet is not long enough to reach the step-up of a Panel truck because of the tank. Or maybe its notched around the tank? Also, the floor of a pickup is a little different than a Panel truck in the area behind the seat. I believe the floor in a pick-up has a shelf that the gas tank sits on and a Panel truck is flat.

Blazer might work but they usually list the carpet for the entire floor including the rear floor and wheel wells. I believe a suburban carpet would be too long because the step-up is farther back compared to a Panel. I'm looking for a carpet for the cab floor only.

So Panel truck owners, What did you use??

Trying to bring a 68 Panel Truck back from the dead. 396 Big Block, 4 on the floor, and a whole lot of rust.
68PanelTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: Panel truck carpet question

Why not go with the burb. You can go up the area that meets the floor cut off the excess and put an angled strip across the top. The little kick up would have a nice finished look.

But I have no actual idea if this would work because of molded carpet possibly being a problem

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #3
68PanelTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Why not go with the burb. You can go up the area that meets the floor cut off the excess and put an angled strip across the top. The little kick up would have a nice finished look.

But I have no actual idea if this would work because of molded carpet possibly being a problem
That may work but I would probably have to buy a complete carpet including the rear wood floor area and the wheel tubs which I don't need and cost a lot more. I only want to carpet the cab area.

Trying to bring a 68 Panel Truck back from the dead. 396 Big Block, 4 on the floor, and a whole lot of rust.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:23 PM   #4
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I have not gotten to the floor covering part yet but if it helps, the Blazer front reproduction floor section is a perfect fit in the panel trucks with no mods needed. I put a 2wd one in mine and it fit perfect. With that said I would think the blazer front carpet would be a perfect match. The pickup floor is tool long for the panel and the gas tank section had to be cut off in order to fit so I would think that carpet would work as well. If it were me, I would message Paul @ GMCpauls (vendor on here) he has a panel truck and I would think he would know the answer for sure. Wes @ Classic Heartbeat (another vendor here) would be another good one to ask as he is building a panel as well.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:00 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ive had several burbs and none of mine have had carpet up on to the rear floor or wheel wells. Some have been two seat burbs and some three.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #6
68PanelTruck

Thanks guys, good advice.