The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2023, 12:25 AM   #301
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: 1972 Cheyenne Super coming apart to go back together

I went over to the rental house and watched a contractor install a new toilet. You sure beat the snot out of me on getting things done! That truck is gorgeous!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:29 AM   #302
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I went over to the rental house and watched a contractor install a new toilet. You sure beat the snot out of me on getting things done! That truck is gorgeous!
thank you sir.she's coming along nicely i think?this truck has been a battle it seems but it's been a joy to work on something not worn out,thrashed and 1/2 rotten.take care.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:44 AM   #303
mr.mud1

a little more progress,the hood is adjusted,still not to my liking but when i look back at the pictures of the truck before i took it apart,it's about the same?i do have the painter coming by in a couple weeks for what he calls "final inspection".i'm scared. maybe i'll hand him some tools and see if he can improve the fit?i have the tailgate to work on tomorrow as it doesn't sit like i would like it to,then re-install the rear bumper,get the seat to the trim shop for a repair to a split seam and start it up for the first time in a long while.the end is near.we'll be driving when the weather improves and spring arrives.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2023, 11:41 PM   #304
mr.mud1

a little more progress,small stuff now.i haven't started the engine yet but can anytime and probably will in the next day or two.still waiting for the trim shop to give the go ahead to bring in my seat for a repair.we spend a bunch of time fitting the hood and tailgate.the hood is about how it was before paint but the tailgate isn't making me happy.maybe i'll fool with it somemore or wait til the painter fella comes for his "final inspection" he calls it,maybe i'll ask him for some help.rear bumper is on and license plate light is wired up,my new Leo Hoffman Chevrolet licence plate frame is on.all good.almost ready to drive once the weather gets better.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2023, 02:17 PM   #305
cericd

I've been away from the forum for about a month or two. You certainly got a lot done in that short amount of time. The truck is looking great! I'm a BIG fan of a stock restoration. You're attention to detail is inspiring. I dig that rear step bumper. What paint/primer did you use on it? Sometimes they look too metallic once they're restored but yours looks really good.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 10:40 AM   #306
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
I've been away from the forum for about a month or two. You certainly got a lot done in that short amount of time. The truck is looking great! I'm a BIG fan of a stock restoration. You're attention to detail is inspiring. I dig that rear step bumper. What paint/primer did you use on it? Sometimes they look too metallic once they're restored but yours looks really good.
hi Chris.thanks,the truck is just about ready.i started the engine yesterday for the first time in about 6 or 7 months.it ran a year ago after i built it but no time on it really other than break-in time.it was nice to hear it run again.i'm just tidying up a few loose ends,waiting for the trim shop man to tell me to bring my seat in for repairs.if i make it to the Charlotte Autofair and see a new houndstooth seat cover,i might just bring it home?as far as the rear bumper,i painted it with this Rustoleum hammertone paint and plain old gray primer.i was at the hardware store the other day and bought another can marked down but noticed they had it in that same finish but several different colours?kind of cool.take care.Greg
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2023, 12:28 PM   #307
cericd

Awesome! Thanks for the info and congrats again on your perseverance and beautiful build.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:03 PM   #308
mr.mud1

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for the info and congrats again on your perseverance and beautiful build.
thanks,no problem,anytime.this old truck was so good,it's making me look smarter than i am,grade 3 was the hardest 4 years of my life??this old girl never worked hard,hauled a camper once a year from California to Idaho,74,000 miles and then ended up in a barn in Idaho in 1996 when the original owners wife fell and broke a hip.they got back to California and never returned.i bought it and had it hauled home after 25 or 26 years storage and the work began.this is without a doubt,the best truck i've had or likely will have again.can't wait til the spring weather and finally drive it again.take care.Greg
Old 02-16-2023, 10:58 AM   #309
yote1234

i am amazed at the perfection and hard work you have performed on this restoration! i saved many a picture from your build to assist me on my restoration, and i thank you for documenting the build so well.
I Am a BIG FAN of Factory Stock restorations! You have done a great job!
Very nice! you will have many years of enjoyment with this Beauty,
1968 Camaro 327
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 11:04 AM   #310
Louisvillekytruck

Looks beautiful great job
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 11:13 AM   #311
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yote1234 View Post
i am amazed at the perfection and hard work you have performed on this restoration! i saved many a picture from your build to assist me on my restoration, and i thank you for documenting the build so well.
I Am a BIG FAN of Factory Stock restorations! You have done a great job!
Very nice! you will have many years of enjoyment with this Beauty,
thanks.i appreciate the kind words.this old truck has been a battle but not her fault.there's light at the end of the tunnel.i'm pretty well done other than fixing the seat,tuning the carb and a few small things.just waiting on spring now.i have a million pictures of everything about this truck so just holler if you need a picture that isn't here.i might just have it.some people have said it's too nice to drive but i plan to drive it.i may even make it to the Atlantic National's in Moncton,New Brunswick about an hour from here.we missed the last few with covid and one thing or another.we'll be there this year in the truck.take care.Greg
Old 02-16-2023, 11:16 AM   #312
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvillekytruck View Post
Looks beautiful great job
thanks,it's been an interesting build,almost done now.take care.Greg
Old 03-02-2023, 11:09 PM   #313
mr.mud1

a little update.i was waiting to get my seat in for repairs,took it in Monday and got a call this morning,it was ready.it's back in the truck and i'm just about done.there's a few small things to do but no hurry as we'll be waiting for spring weather now.i have the quadrajet i built still to tune up but i did start the engine and set timing,check fluids,look for leaks and so on,all systems go.i've been back all this week working on the poor old 39 Chrysler project of mine that got put on the back burner when the truck arrived for Idaho a year or two ago.she's happy now not to be neglected.
Attached Images

Last edited by mr.mud1; 03-03-2023 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-03-2023, 04:38 PM   #314
cericd

What a beautiful truck. I'm sure you're proud, I know I would be.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:44 PM   #315
mr.mud1

Quote:
What a beautiful truck. I'm sure you're proud, I know I would be.
thank you sir.i think it has turned out very well.i'm very happy with it but it was a very good truck to start with,best truck i ever had.she's making me look good?take care.Greg
Old 03-05-2023, 02:08 PM   #316
tutone

I haven't been on the build section in awhile. Both your truck, and Tony's short bed are beautiful. You should be proud and ready for all the compliments that you will no doubt be getting. I love to see someone's hard work pay off and the little setbacks fade to memory. Enjoy it and on to the next one.....
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 05:01 PM   #317
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
I haven't been on the build section in awhile. Both your truck, and Tony's short bed are beautiful. You should be proud and ready for all the compliments that you will no doubt be getting. I love to see someone's hard work pay off and the little setbacks fade to memory. Enjoy it and on to the next one.....
thank you sir,i appreciate the kind words.this truck has turned well i think,it was the truck though,not me.best truck i ever saw or owned.it seemed to be a battle with doing almost everything 2 or 3 times but in a 100 years we'll look back at this and laugh.the crazy thing with doing things twice,none of it was the trucks fault,bad work from undependable people,faulty parts,delays with trying to get a truck home to Nova Scotia during covid while the Canada/USA border was closed??anyway it's almost done,a little tuning and waiting on the weather.i have been in constant touch with the family of the original owner,in Santa Ana,Ca,sending them pictures all along the rebuild.they're thrilled with what i've done with the truck.that's nice and makes it all worthwhile.i did start back on the 39 Chrysler that got put on hold once this truck arrived.time for that one to get a little love.there's a build thread going on,on that car in the "alternative tinkerings". i do want a Henry J and have a DeSoto Hemi motor sitting in the corner on an engine stand.maybe i won't have to put the Chrysler back on hold,but you never know?take care.Greg
Old 03-07-2023, 05:45 AM   #318
Richard

Wow! You have done a great job Greg. Beautiful truck. Inspiration to get my butt moving on my truck again. Delayed parts have driven my motivation down. Wish you good times enjoying the truck.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:33 AM   #319
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Wow! You have done a great job Greg. Beautiful truck. Inspiration to get my butt moving on my truck again. Delayed parts have driven my motivation down. Wish you good times enjoying the truck.
thank you sir,i appreciate that.it's nice to see it just about done.there's only a couple minor things to do and that will happen when i roll it outside again for the first time this year.i'm back on the 39 Chrysler so here we go again but that's ok.there'an indoor ISCA car show coming up about an hour away from me, later in April,i may just enter the truck,we'll see.keep plugging away,it'll all work out.take care.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:45 PM   #320
mr.mud1

well just when i thought i was done,i found out my truck had been accepted for the 49th Annual SpeedSport Car Show coming up in April in Moncton,New Brunswick,about an hour from here.i decided that as nice as the truck was,the underside of the hood looked awful so off it came for some TLC.I discovered after cleaning up the hood,it was black primer or whatever that black stuff is all over the truck under the paint,with some green overspray around the nose of the hood and along the rear brace.i tried to copy that factory finish by painting the whole hood black,then doing the green.i have it nicer than it was or probably should be,so i'll look at this for a couple of days before i decide to keep it or re-do it with more black or all black.i think i liked it before the green although there was green under there from factory?i sent a picture of the hood to the man who painted the truck,to say there was nobody from this neck of the woods going to put him out of business anytime soon.good thing i was a better truck driver than i am a painter?
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2023, 11:54 PM   #321
cornerstone

That will made a big difference in overall finish of the truck. Nice work indeed.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:14 AM   #322
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
That will made a big difference in overall finish of the truck. Nice work indeed.
hi Brian,thanks.i was out looking at it this morning,don't know why?it looked the same last night.it is certainly cleaner and nicer looking that it was in it's dirty,original look,i'm just not sure i like it?i guess i'm not a good enough painter to make it look like an oversprayed finish.my painter guy could've done it but he's an hour and half away.i might not know much but i know trying to get the hood to him,without damaging the topside would've been mission impossible?i almost think i liked it better all black but that's not how it was built,so i'll let this dry and stare at it awhile longer and decide what to do next?take care.thanks again.Greg
Old 03-28-2023, 10:05 PM   #323
mr.mud1

another little update.i had decided to take the hood off my truck to clean it up and re-paint it,getting ready for an upcoming indoor car show.the hood was off,cleaned up and i repainted it last week and today we re-installed it.it think it's looking pretty good although i didn't care for it at first,i almost re-painted it and left it all black although it came from the factory with some green underneath,so here it is.i think it's growing on me.it was a very nice day here today so i backed the truck out to the door and let it run awhile,making some adjustments to the timing and setting up the carb i built for it.we're just about done.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2023, 11:53 PM   #324
mr.mud1

well we're finally done,unless something else falls to pieces.the truck was outside in the sunlight,for the first time in quite awhile and running very well,doing everything it's supposed to be doing.a week from tomorrow we'll load her on the trailer and take it to the 49th annual Speed Sport Car Show in Moncton,New Brunswick.i figured this was my one chance to show it off while it looks as good as it will for a while.we'll be driving it soon,not hauling rocks in it but using it so it won't ever be this clean again.it's all good.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2023, 12:19 AM   #325
68bowtie

Congratulations! Job very well done.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote