The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2022, 10:12 AM   #1
dhigdon@southerntank

Front End Upper Control Arms

Is there a benefit or advantage to using new tubular upper control arms instead of stock control arms?
dhigdon@southerntank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #2
LNP

Re: Front End Upper Control Arms

If you're setting up a stock truck the stock arms will work fine. Tubular ones are used for performance, special handling suspension packages, lowering kits etc. They improve geometry, increase stability and durability. Plus provide upgrades to both bushings, and ball joints. And they can give an improved appearance but only if you do mods to your truck to where they can be seen.

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:38 AM   #3
PbFut

OEM style has served millions of trucks for close to 60 years. I would consider only if the arm improves the caster angle on our series of truck. I would like a little more return to center on my truck. I am use to the more modern setups of the steering wheel returning to center much on its own. On my truck the caster sits at near zero and I have to self center after a turn. The truck also likes to wander a bit. I think 2 or 3 degrees of caster would greatly improve things. If the tube arms provide that, then you may want to consider.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:58 AM   #4
leftybass209

If the arms claim to give more adjustability to caster or camber, they could be a benefit.

However, some manufactures may state, that uppers and lowers have to be used together for the added adjustability, or maybe the benefit is in an entire kit that has to work together.

I would NOT just change out uppers and leave everything stock, as there'd be no performance advantage, and only a 50% visual change

If the truck is between a stock and 2" drop in the front the added caster or camber adjustments would probably be a moot point unless you're doing it for some specific racing class, or as pointed out above, you want to deep dive the stock settings for a more modern feel.

This is only your first post it looks like, so welcome!

If you want, let us know more about what you are working on, and what your goals are for the truck. The more these members know, the more helpful they can be.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote