The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2002, 07:39 PM   #1
jjg

brake problems

Hey guys well i just switched my 67 over to a 1406 edelbrock along with a 2101 edelbrock intake, and it is good combo in my opinion, Before the swap i did a power brake swap into my truck, now i ran the hose from the power brake to the back of the edelbrock carb, i am assuming this is where it goes, so i started it up and the thing just ran great, but when i put on the brakes, they were hard and they locked up, so what could this be???? the brake pedal just feels hard, also the booster came off of a disk brake setup but i am still using the drum brake master cylinder would that be a problem, or am i am not vacuming the booster right??? hope this makes sense,
thanks
John
jjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 10:23 PM   #2
batboy

Did you only swap in the disc brake booster? Or did you happen to use that combination valve too (the thing that looks like a odd shaped block that all the brake lines first go into near the master cylinder). This is sometimes called the proportioning valve, but it actually does more than that, because it also is the residual pressure valve. If you used the block off a disc brake truck, then the pressure is wrong for your front brakes. If you only used the booster, then I don't know what's wrong, unless you also added a hipo cam that is not making enough vacuum. Maybe look for vacuum leaks too.
batboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 11:25 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Interesting, I tried putting a dick/drum booster on a drum/drum truck. The rod was all diferant and wouldn't work, but that shouldn't cause a hard pedal.
When I ran this carb on a power brake truck, I ran teh vac hose directly to the intake. Double check that you do in fact have vacume at this rear fitting, you should, but might not. If there is vacume, then your new booster (it is used isn't it) is probably junk.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote