The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
elks

How to make it pretty....

OK Guys Nice weather is here... Time to clean and shine.

I have my 72 blazer which sees trees and 4 wheeling all winter. The paint shows some scratches from the tree, dirty etc. Almost all in the clearcoat. So what is your general process for cleaning it, removing/buffing the scratches then adding the shine? Please include products, and process.

I am thinking a good carwash to knock big stuff off, then a good hand wash lots of bubbles and clean towels etc. Hand dry, Then a scratch remover, then a wax? What about wax cleaners?

Thanks a bunch I am doing this next week so would like a supplies list this week.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
treveiger

Re: How to make it pretty....

When I clean my trucks I detail the inside first, then do the door jambs, then I hand wash the outside twice over then let it dry and wash it again to make sure I got everything good. Then I look the truck over for scratches and scuffs and decied what ones I want to buff out then do so, and after all the buffing is done I wash it well over again to make sure the buffing compound is all off the truck then look for swirl marks an small scuffs that I didn't buff and use something called the scratch doctor that pretty much makes them invisible unless you look for them directly then after all that I wax it a few times over. To be honest I pretty much cover the whole truck in scratch doctor sense the trucks I clean are from a farm and are worked out of constantly an very rarely get cleaned but when I'm done the trucks look brand new.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Beat68CST

^ This guy is got it down good.

When I wax though, I use TR3 for a good cleaning kind of a wax, then Mirror Glaze after it to get a good shine. That's when I just do it by hand.
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
kevmcrae

Are you doing it by hand or do you have a buffer?

I bought a professional buffer last summer....what a God send! Works great for buffing. Pick up a Mother's Powerball for wax application....great item.

I learned from my brother who manages a large body shop.
1. Wash thoroughly
2. Mother's or Maguire's clay bar
3. Apply 2 inch painters tape to all the black trim to avoid staining from the polish and wax.
4. Buff with 3M Finness-it. Remove residue with MANY MICROFIBER cloths(Costco)
5. Apply wax with the Powerball and a cordless drill. I've used many waxes in my life. Now I prefer the newer "tech" waxes for ease of application and removing after it hazes over. Any brand will work great, Black Magic, Maguires, Mother's, etc. Again, remove the haze with ONLY microfiber cloths and use a lot of them!
kevmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
Beat68CST

I only use cotton terry cloths. I hear microfiber can actually scratch, if it were to on our paint jobs I couldn't imagine how visible it'd be, LOL

But the ol cotton works good for me!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
kevmcrae

I always used cotton terry till just a few years ago and was always fine. Now I prefer the microfiber. Rub each of them on the inside of your arm....which one is softer! :-)
kevmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
Beat68CST

I look for the free ones! :P
Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
Blue72slab

I have read you need to be aware of the stitching on the edges of the microfiber towels because that is what will scratch.
1980 GMC K5 Sierra Classic
Blue72slab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
treveiger

Yes make sure you tape of all the plastic parts, forgot to mention that one and I learned the hard way and can't seem for the life of me get the stuff off... The first time I buffed a truck it was my fathers and he was wanting to sell it and all we had was a hand grinder with one speed(full bore) and that worked out really well I'm proud to say but you have to be very very careful because you can burn through paint very easily and next time I buff a car I will buy a variable speed buffer sense ill be repainting my truck soon anyway and am getting into body work. When I need to use rags on the paint of a vehicle I use cotton rags because at the shop there's plenty of them and after cleaning for several years I have found micro fibers hold in things (like tiny rocks) a lot more than cotton. I still use micro fiber for the inside of the cab and are the only rags I use at work because there awesome for dusting and windows especially.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
elks

OK so I am a little unclear on the buffing the larger scratches... Is there a certain compound I should use? I looked and found stuff called scratch X for smaller swirls etc. I have about 3-4 larger/deeper scratches I am concerned about.

I do have an orbital buffer.

Also What about Oxidized paint that has not been waxed for years? Is there hope for it?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
treveiger

If the scratches go through the clear coat you can't remove them without repainting it. Pictures would help us to determine but a general rule of thumb is if you can feel it with your fingernail it can't be removed. Are you talking about a haze on the paint? Buffing and waxing will remove the haze and make it shine again usually.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
treveiger

What kind of buffer do you have? Some wont work, you need a true buffer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
elks

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
What kind of buffer do you have? Some wont work, you need a true buffer.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have the craftsman orbital buffer. I will get you somw pics and see what you think. I am pretty certain I will be able to get all but 1 out. Thanks again.

I also looked on the web and found a meguires complete step by step kit. I am trying to learn this myself as I am having my auto students learn the process as well. I was never taught and am learning as I go.

Thanks again Rob
Old 05-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
treveiger

K sounds good, as long as its a true buffer you should be good to go. Hey I learned by just doing it too, my brother use to detail high end cars down in florida and kept saying how he would teach me how to do it but never happened so one day I just grabbed the buffer and went for it and was careful and took my time and it turned out great.
Posted via Mobile Device