The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
Tod59

Windshield Stainless Trim

Hey Fella's-

I am considering adding new (non original aftermarket) stainless steel exterior trim around the windshield of my '59 3100 truck. Just wondering, have any of you bought this trim from one of our suppliers and installed it?

How did it fit?
was it worth the money?
Would you recommend buying it to me? or skip it because of the poor fit?

I will also be buying a Steele products new window gasket for the trim and a new windshield from Auto City Classics.
Thanks,
Tod59

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/images/trim4.jpg
Hard to see in this pic I found on the web, but its around the front windhied trim.

https://www.classicparts.com/1955-59...2/#prettyPhoto[gallery] nofollow/0/

https://www.classicparts.com/#

Stainless Windshield Trim for 1955-59 Chevy Truck

Now in Stock! New polished stainless steel trim around outside of windshield, originally used on custom cab pickups. This optional trim is a sharp addition to any truck and can be installed on standard cab trucks as well. Set includes 4 pieces around windshield and 4 joint clips. Deluxe windshield weatherstrip required for installation.
Tod59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
Foot Stomper

Re: Windshield Stainless Trim

Although I haven't purchased a new re-pop, I will share what I've learned.

Last week I called around to get quotes for a windshield install and some refused to even attempt it if the trim was included because "I am liable for bending the trim and therefore I am not going to do it". One installer immediately agreed to do the install because they claimed they are experienced in installing these windshields with and without the trim. He asked me if my trim was original stainless or the new chrome version. I told him I had the original stainless and he was happy to hear this. He explained that he could install the new chrome stuff, but it was tricky because it was so flimsy and easy to bend. He said installing the stainless trim was easier.

I don't know of anyone making new trim with stainless steel and suspect all the new stuff is chrome but am open to being corrected if I am under the wrong impression.

Hopefully, this information will help.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
Tod59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Although I haven't purchased a new re-pop, I will share what I've learned.

Last week I called around to get quotes for a windshield install and some refused to even attempt it if the trim was included because "I am liable for bending the trim and therefore I am not going to do it". One installer immediately agreed to do the install because they claimed they are experienced in installing these windshields with and without the trim. He asked me if my trim was original stainless or the new chrome version. I told him I had the original stainless and he was happy to hear this. He explained that he could install the new chrome stuff, but it was tricky because it was so flimsy and easy to bend. He said installing the stainless trim was easier.

I don't know of anyone making new trim with stainless steel and suspect all the new stuff is chrome but am open to being corrected if I am under the wrong impression.

Hopefully, this information will help.
Interesting info....thanks for the feedback! Anyone else order this aftermarket stuff?
Tod59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
Russell Ashley

This is where I got mine. It's polished stainless and fit good but the installer said it was a pain to get in right.
http://www.bowtiebits.com/store/stor...Category_ID=52
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote