The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2022, 10:59 PM   #1
riz

Fi-Tech system on a 6.0 LQ4 LS ?

Anybody have this set up?
Any feedback on how well this works?
Looking for any info I get on this system.
Thanks in advance.

RIZ

81 C10 short box

82 K5 Blazer
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 04:17 PM   #2
Honest Bob

Re: Fi-Tech system on a 6.0 LQ4 LS ?

I had one that I replaced with a Holly Terminator X.

1) Support documentation was and still is absolute trash 4 years later.
2) If you tune it with the software your cant make any changes with the handheld.
3) Making changes on the handheld was flakey, sometime they would save other times it wouldnt.
4) I couldnt find a tuner in my area that would touch it (your gonna want to find one because the self tune can only do so much I dont care what ecu you have.)
5) The fi-tech community is tiny compared to Holley so if your trying to source info on something its difficult to find.
6) I had to replace the handheld due to the inadequatly sized power connector on the hand held (this may have been fixed?) to the tune of $300.

Spend the extra cash on the Holley and do it right the first time.
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
SCOTI

There's far more tuning/operational support for a re-worked factory ECU or Holley vs FITech.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:43 AM   #4
Rickysnickers

I believe Edelbrock has a unit you might want to look at as well. It's called the Pro Flo4+.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 02:05 AM   #5
HeavyD

Don't know if this helps, but I saw a fitech unit for sale in my area for 750 bucks...if any part besides a bumper for a 78 Merc monarch comes up for sale around here it usually means its crap as we hoard everything decent.

After doing some reading no way would I swap a factory gm efi for this thing.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:10 PM   #6
Axle

I know someone with a fitech... they got so fed up with it and the nonsense from the company they tossed it back in the box and it is gathering dust. (multiple sensors replaced, the self learning didn't, randomn shut downs while driving, lots of agravation).
I've read elsewhere (might have been yellowbullet)that fitech heavily leans on a 5v system and any problem with the fitech system electrically lets the cars running voltage places it shouldn't and kills things. Unverified, but given the amount of bad results I've read about, it wouldn't surprise me. Probably some bargain basement chinese boards that have a poor design that do not tolerate your typical alternator voltage variations.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:08 PM   #7
Dleslie212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I believe Edelbrock has a unit you might want to look at as well. It's called the Pro Flo4+.

I installed the Pro Flo 4 a couple years back. It's been amazing. It's more expensive but it's worth it. Plan on replacing the fuel tanks and pumps with EFI units, though. I didn't do mine at first, I used an external pump and even brand new it nearly left me stranded. Expensive but beyond worth it
Dleslie212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:55 PM   #8
kipps

I would highly recommend using a reworked GM computer and harness instead. Read through this hptuners tutorial thread by Gregski(of 'Restoring Rusty' fame), and decide if hptuners is something you're willing to tackle or not. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=792225
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:22 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleslie212 View Post
I installed the Pro Flo 4 a couple years back. It's been amazing. It's more expensive but it's worth it. Plan on replacing the fuel tanks and pumps with EFI units, though. I didn't do mine at first, I used an external pump and even brand new it nearly left me stranded. Expensive but beyond worth it
ProFlo4 for an LS or SBC?

I would def do a in tank (or surge tank for sbc apps) over an external pump/s. Just to much work for external pumps to survive an extended use lifespan.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-26-2022, 02:27 PM   #10
Dleslie212

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
ProFlo4 for an LS or SBC?

I would def do a in tank (or surge tank for sbc apps) over an external pumps. Just to much work for external pumps to survive an extended use lifespan.
350, though I'm pretty positive they make an LS setup as well.

The reason I switched to an EFI system was because I tried to climb a hill, and my Edelbrock carb kept flooding out and leaking fuel everytime I wasn't sitting level. Plus, I regularly leave my truck sitting for months at a time without starting it up, and when I do, it's only on cold mornings. It became a nightmare to start up.

As soon as I had the EFI finished, I hit a trail on a warm day. Even though it was brand new, the external pump kept overheating and I could watch my fuel pressure slowly die over the course of a few minutes on the Edelbrock display. I had to limp from the trail to the highway five minutes at a time, stopping to crawl underneath and spray down the fuel pump with ice water in a spray bottle. That was enough to convince me to swap to EFI tanks and pumps
Dleslie212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:12 PM   #11
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleslie212 View Post
Yep!! I was building a brand new system, with a new engine I installed. I used the Pro Flo 4 and it's been great. And, Edelbrock has a very good forum for users, so when they encounter problems or issues, there's always help available.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #12
SCOTI

I looked into the ProFlo4 for the potential 400ci sbc transplant in my g-body Malibu. Glad to read your shared experiences.

Thanks.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #13
Rickysnickers

My Pro Flo is on a 400 small block, from Blueprint Engines.