The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #26
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: Show your pro street 88-98 trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
I liked 'em then and still do, now that I can afford one I'm going whole-hog.

Kudos !!!

I'm gonna have fatties under something be it my 97 or 74 before they shove me off into that hole.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #27
BigBlocksRule

Mine's gonna be something different...shortwide dually with a pair of 295's on each side in the back on custom 10" wide wheels with tubs and a 4-link, 1-ton front 4WD with another 275 on each side up front, pump gas 565 under the hood, hydraulic roller on pump gas, leather seats, full A/C and cruise control.
Just 'cause I've never seen anybody else do it, plus it sounds like fun...
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #28
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Hmmm, Sounds interesting......

I saved this a while back just cuz I thought it looked awesome, Kinda what you have in mind but with a 4 link ?
Attached Images

88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #29
BigBlocksRule

Something like that, except mine will have dually fenders and tubs...26" of clearance for wheels/tires on each side. Anybody can run big meats, I want doubles
Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #30
19seventeeCustom

restorob,

I hear what your saying, but why do you think pro-street stuff went the way of the dodo bird? With today's technology there is no need for 500ci street motors, the LS stuff makes crazy power and is crazy reliable.

And who really and truly street drives a monster with 33x15 slicks on it? You may drive it on the street on occassion, but your not putting any kind of real mileage on that setup.

You can go 8's in the quarter w/drag radials these days, no need for semi tires on a street driven vehicle anymore. I always love seeing big tire cars at my local track shaking the ground and then rip off a high 6sec 1/8th I guess they don't realize they could have most likely ran a little quicker with a 28x10.50 instead of those top fuel tires.
19seventeeCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #31
BigBlocksRule

Can't speak for Curtis, but IMHO, the LS engines are butt ugly unless you go carb'd. Plastic covers and wires everywhere just doesn't make for a pretty engine bay. Can't argue their power, but they're limited as well, that's why there's still a good market for 540's and bigger. The LS engines make good horsepower, but torque is still king in the racing world.
There are still plenty of pro streeters around, you just have to pick through the slammed trucks, fart pipe boom boxes and donks on twenny-fo's to find 'em

And as long as Mickey Thompson continues to manufacture steamroller tires,there will be guys like us that buy 'em and put 'em on the back of cars and trucks
Old 05-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #32
19seventeeCustom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
Can't speak for Curtis, but IMHO, the LS engines are butt ugly unless you go carb'd. Plastic covers and wires everywhere just doesn't make for a pretty engine bay. Can't argue their power, but they're limited as well, that's why there's still a good market for 540's and bigger. The LS engines make good horsepower, but torque is still king in the racing world.
There are still plenty of pro streeters around, you just have to pick through the slammed trucks, fart pipe boom boxes and donks on twenny-fo's to find 'em

And as long as Mickey Thompson continues to manufacture steamroller tires,there will be guys like us that buy 'em and put 'em on the back of cars and trucks
Difference in opinion Are you talking about the FRC's? If so those are easily removed, and the engine actually looks a ton better without em.

^Thats ugly?

It just makes me cringe to see rides that use to be really nice and collectable, that have been swiss cheesed and tubbed out running slower times than my 25mpg street car. If your gonna hack on a ride and tub it out atleast run respectable times or else you look foolish doin it.
19seventeeCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #33
BigBlocksRule

Yours is as clean as any I've seen, but I still can't see the engine for the coil packs, fuel rails and wiring. Us old school guys like the cleaner look of bare valve covers, Dominator carbs, etc., it's just what we're used to. Old habits and tastes die hard.
As you said, it's a difference of opinion.
I have an LS7 block and heads, plan to use it in my '57 truck when I get around to it. It'll be a fully custom truck, '63 GMC chassis with trailing arms, 454SS rearend, '85 front crossmember, late 90's interior - all bolt-on stuff with as little fab work as possible. I debated using the 540 in boxes in my shop for it but want to show off what a carbed LS can look like with it's symmetrical ports, etc. I hope I can end up as clean as yours looks, a clean bay sure helps show off a clean engine.
BTW, sweet looking engine bay, that's a good looking FI LS engine install.
Oh, and I fully agree, if you're going to run steamrollers and make a lot of noise, you need to be ready to back it up with a fast time slip.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #34
pwderman
Thrill Ride V-Drive

I don't post much here but I do lurk...I've been following this thread with some interest as I've built some, so called, pro street cars and trucks including race cars. The original intent of the pro street movement was the drag car look with some reliability for the street...IMHO, while we all like the approval of our peers, we lose sight of fact we build these cars and trucks because we want ours to be different from the pack. If I wanted a cookie cutter truck or car I'd leave it stock...it's great to get ideas from other people but the bottom line is build what you like, pro street, pro touring, big block, small block, whatever floats your boat, and enjoy it...sometimes I even find the build is as much fun as the end result. Just remember though opinions are like a..holes everybody has one...

Last edited by pwderman; 05-03-2011 at 11:34 AM.
pwderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #35
scotts62
One day...

Coil packs hanging off it or not its still sexy!

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #36
NewWaveOldSchool

...I think everyone needs to look at these trucks and like or don't like but stop putting down someone elses ride...we all have different ideas and different pocketbooks...if you don't like it go to the next page. I personally like them all shortwide, longwide, lowered, lifted, it matters not because they are all done to be different. We cannot all afford a $10,000.00 crate big block chevy so we have a weenie motor...it is still a different ride and it is OUR RIDE!
NewWaveOldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #37
tattoed71

old thread but im collecting parts for my phantom dually.man i miss the days with fat tires and the pink heartbeat stripe down the side
Posted via Mobile Device