The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
Steve Cole

What should I expect for my first engine tune?

Swap recently completed, just working out a few bugs before I take the truck to a local engine tuner but I don't know what to expect or what to ask for. I know I need a couple of fault codes disabled but other than that, what else should I have done? Other than mid-length headers, dual exhaust, and a cold air intake, It is a bone stock 2005 5.3. It seems to run good, the idle is smooth. I did notice if I am in park and gun the throttle, it has a little stumble so I need to get that addressed.

I am not trying to break the bank, but I want to get the most out of my visit. What would a good basic tune consist of and how much should I expect to pay? I am sure this info will help a lot of first timers like me.
Thanks,
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
Thealien

Re: What should I expect for my first engine tune?

Need to ask yourself a few questions first.

Intended use? Cruise, Autocross, drag race? Each should be tuned a little differently

Do you plan future changes? Cams, forced induction, transmission?

Torque management can change how a vehicle drives. From the factory if you put the gas pedal to the floor you don't always get full throttle at least at first, better for warrantee, less part breakage. I wouldn't eliminate all the torque management but I would "change" it. Discuss those things with your tuner.

Good luck. These LS swaps have come a long way in the last 10 years. It sure makes these old trucks modern car reliable (once its dialed in). I am doing cruise control and AC as well.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #3
tinydb84

Honestly for a stock engine I wouldnt even dyno tune it. You can have the VATS disabled from a lot of mail order places for $50.

If you want you can find a place to do a mail order tune and adjust it for your tire height, shift points, etc for a another $50 or so.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #4
LS short box

I've used Frost Tunes for a mail order tune and it worked well. Only mod to the LS1/4L60E was headers and cold air intake. Found him over on LS1.tech.com.
Assuming the tuner knows his stuff he can adjust the shift points. They will need tire diameter and rear gear ratio. I like to delay the 4th gear shift and torque converter lock up after 45 mph. Keeps from lugging the engine.
As said above some? torque management is is good other wise the trans will shift hard and may hurt the trans.
I also a number of years ago I bought OBD II scanner. Comes in handy to check codes.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:55 PM   #5
Steve Cole

Thanks for the replies guys! Keep them coming! My intended use is just cruising. My vats have already been disabled by BP-Automotive. He was supposed to disable the P0053 and P0059 fault codes as well but since I am currently getting them, he said sometimes it doesn’t “take” and will have to be done again by the tuner. I don’t expect to be doing any performance upgrades like a cam, etc. I would like to adjust my shift points as mentioned. I assume the “power management” was mentioned in response to my statement about the engine stumbling. If this is true, I have to say, I think I have an actual issue that needs addressed, I don’t think the PCM is doing this. When you slam the pedal down, it does nothing for a second then it recovers and accelerates.
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:16 PM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

well im gonna say put it on a dyno for the tune...the guy that unlocked my ecm just used a base tune for a 4.8 i found out...even though it ran good with no issues, it came off the dyno with about 40 more hp and a bunch more torque..and runs so much better...dyno guy said he could turn it up if i wanted but i said no...its not a hotrod truck...even though it acts like one

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote