The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #1
EricU

89 C30 Crew Cab - Gen V LT1/8L90e Install Questions

I have an 89 C30 Crew Cab that is currently under the knife to have a PB Fab Front and Rear bagged suspension installed so I can look at my 22” Alcoas and clean the top of the hood easier.

I am looking at repowering my C30 CC with a 2016 (+/-) Gen V LT1/8L90e combo and have some questions. I will probably source the engine through a supplier that strips cars and pallets up the entire engine/tranny/ECU/pedal and will even swap out the cam to dump the VVTs and tune the ecu to dump the AFM, I used them on a previous L99/6L80e swap into an old (65) Caddy.

The PB Fab front kit uses a Rack n Pinion steering setup but the Gen V LT1s don’t have a PS pump?

• Has anyone any experience with the aftermarket solutions in a Squarebody? I have seen Dirty Dingo’s solution and All American Billet looks to have a bracket and pully

• What are the physical dimensions of the 8L90e – I am assuming that I will need to tunnel the truck, which isn’t that big a deal.

Both Holley and Moroso make oil pans so that seems pretty straight forward.

I already planned on getting a Dakota Digital dash for the pig, so gauges should be taken care of.

• I would like to keep the dual saddle tanks, Can I add a third tank and feed it from the saddle tanks?
• Are there any other major or semi-big items that I will need to deal with and plan for?
Old 04-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: 89 C30 Crew Cab - Gen V LT1/8L90e Install Questions

Sounds like a good project.
Just a note in regards to the 8L90E it doesn't get a lot of love on LS1tech.com. Go take look in the auto trans forum for comments.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:03 PM   #3
EricU

No one? I can't be the first, I am too old for that.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:35 PM   #4
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post
No one? I can't be the first, I am too old for that.

First for what?
search button my friends, 3-4 of us including my self have build threads.

Power steering, lools like you found solutions.
Fuel systems a fuel system, plan it out amd youll be fine.

If your goo wiring, there's a gen5 connector kit on ebay.

Clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #5
EricU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
First for what?
search button my friends, 3-4 of us including my self have build threads.

Power steering, lools like you found solutions.
Fuel systems a fuel system, plan it out amd youll be fine.

If your goo wiring, there's a gen5 connector kit on ebay.

Clint
I have certainly hit the "search button" more than once. I guess stupid me, I haven't had much luck finding other builds.

I have done an L99/680e swap into my 65 Caddy but have no experience with the Gen V LT1.

I did see some of your fab work, quite impressive BTW.

I was looking for some input from others on their experiences pertaining to the Gen V LT1 swap and anything that they ran into.

The Dirty Dingo PS pump setup looks pretty involved vs the All American Billet system uses a KRC Pro Series III Pump but I am not sure which pully or damper it uses. Hooker lists a PS pump bracket for the LT4 but doesn't mention the LT1 and have heard rumors of it being ill-fitting, Eddie Motorsports has one also, then there is the electric Volvo pump....

Last edited by EricU; 04-05-2021 at 02:41 PM.
EricU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:28 PM   #6
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Power steering brackete are specific as like LS... car vs truck balancer spacing is different.

Lt1 has a double sided belt no? Gonna be hard to find a belt driven solution without scrapping the waterpump and going LS waterpump ,adapter and custom brackets.

Clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:35 PM   #7
EricU

89 C30 Crew Cab - Gen V LT1/8L90e Install Questions

My biggest problem is that I don't have the motor in front of me yet as it will be a few weeks out.

I did find that the L8T PS bracket GM P/N 12654286 should fit a type 2 PS pump to the LT1.

I haven't really worked with a type 2 PS pump before as my LS swap into my old Caddy was pretty straight forward. I need to dig into it to figure out a remote reservoir to work with the factory hydroboost and Unisteer R&P.

I "think" that I would need to change to the LS style water pump which doesn't really bother me as they are quite available.

I have a hard time swallowing the Holley Mid Mount pricing but I don't really want to spend the time that I did designing/building a serp system for my old Caddy 472 motor....
Old 04-11-2021, 09:13 AM   #8
Jason 56

Not sure about any of your issues with getting the engine in a square body, but If you have any questions about the engine/harness, I’m installing a L83/8L90 in my 56 pickup. I’m reworking my own harness. Biggest difference is that everything is PWC(pulse wave controlled) vs your gen 4 L99. You need to run a factory fuel pump with the pwc module. Fan is the same way. Ac and alternator are also pwc, but can be ran without pwc. If you are going to delete the afm you can run a vacuum brake booster. You don’t need hydroboost, but that’s what I’m running. ( I’m not deleting afm). The power steering is obviously an issue. Lsx innovations has lost of options (the Lt1 will be different than mine). If you’d like PM me and I’ll give you my phone number.