The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #26
menace121978

Re: Vortec swappers with dual tanks: how'd ya do it?

easy to type!

honestly, still on the fence about. started a price list of the sbc build up for a comparsen to the ls swap. if i can find a deal i cant pass up on a 5.3-8.1 then ls it is. we'll see!!

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #27
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

So far it looks like I will be right at $2k to complete the engine side of the swap. Sure, I could build a nice small block for that, but I would never get from a small block what I will be getting from a Gen III for that money!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 07-16-2009 at 11:02 AM.
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #28
menace121978

exactly... so true!

ouch!! i think you just pushed me down off the fence!!!

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #29
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Get off!!!!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #30
aspiringthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post
I found this on S&P's web site, good info:

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/77chevytruck/77chevy.htm
That's some good info.
aspiringthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:17 PM   #31
Ford Assassin

Question Re: Vortec swappers with dual tanks: how'd ya do it?

Digging up an old thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfunk View Post
on my 85 i put an electric fuel pump right after the valve to switch tanks, works fine for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams View Post
I don't have much info as far as fuel setup. I would think an electric pump set up like I have in mine would work.
Tanks--->Switch valve--->Electric pump--->Up front.
Any reason this wouldn't work on my TBI/454 1988 R30 for my 5.3 swap? I have done well over 25+ LS swaps, but never had to deal with two tanks.

Here's the paper napkin plan:

Each in-tank TBI pump (both new Delco pumps 7 months ago), through the factory fuel lines to the stock tank switch valve, then valve would feed into the high pressure pump (Walbro 255 in-line that I already own, just need to splice in), then into a
Wix 33737 Corvette style filter/regulator (and fuel return plumbed back into the factory/stock fuel lines, through the switch valve), lastly to the 2005 returnless the fuel rail inlet.

This would be the least expensive route for me since I already own everything from a previous project combined with the factory TBI fuel system. Easiest too from a labor stand point.

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=803608
Ford Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #32
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Assassin View Post

Any reason this wouldn't work on my TBI/454 1988 R30 for my 5.3 swap? I have done well over 25+ LS swaps, but never had to deal with two tanks.

Each in-tank TBI pump (both new Delco pumps 7 months ago), through the factory fuel lines to the stock tank switch valve, then valve would feed into the high pressure pump (Walbro 255 in-line that I already own, just need to splice in), then into a
Wix 33737 Corvette style filter/regulator (and fuel return plumbed back into the factory/stock fuel lines, through the switch valve), lastly to the 2005 returnless the fuel rail inlet.

This would be the least expensive route for me since I already own everything from a previous project combined with the factory TBI fuel system. Easiest too from a labor stand point.
Looks.like a good plan.
Hart_Rod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #33
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Assassin View Post

Newer diesel trucks and gasoline sedans do it that way. Lift pump then the system pressure pump.
Lift pumps in the tanks that can supply enough volume to keep the single high pressure pump mounted outside the tanks happy.
As I said in the dual tanks post... the return pressure shouldn't damage a 65PSI Pollack valve. I did neglect to mention that you'll probably have to update the valve to the latest and greatest from Pollack. The original GM valve is not rated for 65PSI more like 35 or 40PSI.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #34
Dleslie212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Looks.like a good plan.
I’m digging up your old dug up post now...

Did you ever do this?

1977 K10

I just installed an Edelbrock ProFlo 4 system, but I’m not happy with the fuel system. What I currently have is dual tanks into one of the newer switching valves, into a 60 PSI fuel pump, up to a regulator that splits into the injector rail and return line, which is then plumbed back into the switching valve.

My problem is that the external pump is overheating. After an hour or so of driving, I can start to hear the pump whining, and I can watch my fuel pressure slowly creep lower and lower on the tablet that came with the ProFlo system. The pump is mounted underneath the top portion of the inside passenger frame rail, but is somewhat close to my exhaust. I’m pretty sure the heat soak from the exhaust is overheating the pump. This was most apparent when I took the truck for a 4 hour off-road trip on an 80 degree day a few weeks back - I had to crawl on the bumpy ass Road so slowly that there was no air flow underneath to move air. It was a nightmare - on the way back, I had to stop every 20 or 30 minutes and spray cold water onto the fuel pump, wait for it to cool down, and then start again. However, I just took the truck out camping last weekend, and was on the highway for about an hour. It wasn’t as bad as the off-road trip, but I towards the end, I could still hear the fuel pump whining over my loud exhaust, and my pressure started slowly creeping down again.

What I’d like to do is just replace the dual tanks with newer baffled tanks and internal fuel pumps, but am struggling comprehending how I’d go about controlling which pump activates in unison with the switching valve.

Also, any recommendations as far as which tanks and internal pumps I should be looking for would be awesome. The senders themselves are both about a year old, but I don’t mind replacing them again either
Dleslie212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:54 PM   #35
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleslie212 View Post

Did you ever do this?

1977 K10

I just installed an Edelbrock ProFlo 4 system, but I’m not happy with the fuel system. What I currently have is dual tanks into one of the newer switching valves, into a 60 PSI fuel pump, up to a regulator that splits into the injector rail and return line, which is then plumbed back into the switching valve.

My problem is that the external pump is overheating. After an hour or so of driving, I can start to hear the pump whining, and I can watch my fuel pressure slowly creep lower and lower on the tablet that came with the ProFlo system. The pump is mounted underneath the top portion of the inside passenger frame rail, but is somewhat close to my exhaust. I’m pretty sure the heat soak from the exhaust is overheating the pump. This was most apparent when I took the truck for a 4 hour off-road trip on an 80 degree day a few weeks back - I had to crawl on the bumpy ass Road so slowly that there was no air flow underneath to move air. It was a nightmare - on the way back, I had to stop every 20 or 30 minutes and spray cold water onto the fuel pump, wait for it to cool down, and then start again. However, I just took the truck out camping last weekend, and was on the highway for about an hour. It wasn’t as bad as the off-road trip, but I towards the end, I could still hear the fuel pump whining over my loud exhaust, and my pressure started slowly creeping down again.

What I’d like to do is just replace the dual tanks with newer baffled tanks and internal fuel pumps, but am struggling comprehending how I’d go about controlling which pump activates in unison with the switching valve.

Also, any recommendations as far as which tanks and internal pumps I should be looking for would be awesome. The senders themselves are both about a year old, but I don’t mind replacing them again either
Perfect timing. I too am looking at redoing my dual tank setup on my 85 K20 with PF-4. I'm in Yuma, just south of you and the heat does not play well with my current Edelbrock remote sump setup.

So far I have come up with needing to replace the tanks with 87 versions, Spectra sending units, EP381 pumps, 87 rocker switch, AC Delco 6 way valve (replacement for the Pollack) and new FI rated hoses and clamps.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #36
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleslie212 View Post

Did you ever do this?

1977 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
Perfect timing. I too am looking at redoing my dual tank setup on my 85 K20 with PF-4. I'm in Yuma, just south of you and the heat does not play well with my current Edelbrock remote sump setup.

So far I have come up with needing to replace the tanks with 87 versions, Spectra sending units, EP381 pumps, 87 rocker switch, AC Delco 6 way valve (replacement for the Pollack) and new FI rated hoses and clamps.
I'm not sure if you guys have read through this thread yet, but I highly recommend it:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=754061
Hart_Rod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #37
Dleslie212

Quote:

Yeah I think you’re the one who convinced me on this board to swap to the PF4 a few months back. I’m actually from Yuma, I’ve only been in Phoenix about 10 years.

Are you planning on running the new fuel pumps via the PF4 somehow? Or are you just running separate power lines to the pumps?

I’m actually considering now ditching the dual tanks and installing a single, large fuel cell under the bed. I haven’t even got to the point of checking out fuel cells, but my concern is finding a large enough capacity. I like to use the truck for a lot of overlanding type stuff, and don’t want to be constantly worrying about running of of gas. The reason I like the dual setup is because I can hold nearly 40 gallons
Old 04-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #38
kipps

There is another option that's not been discussed here. I'm intending to try it on the LS-swapped truck in my signature, but I don't have it functional yet.

Each side of the truck will have a 1987 tank, 1987 sender, ep381 pump, and a Corvette filter/regulator. The two outlets from the regulators will be teed together using a shuttle valve, and sent on to the fuel rail.

The shuttle valve is the critical part here. It's basically a double-inlet single-outlet check valve with a single check ball. At first glance, you'd think you could use two check valves and a wye fitting to accomplish the same thing, but this is not recommended. The double check valves means there's no way for expanding fuel in the rail to make it back to either tank. If you're using a shuttle valve, any heat-soaked fuel can get back to one or the other of the two tanks while the engine is off. I've heard of folks using the double check valve and Wye fitting idea, and they report problems with hot starts. The truck won't start while hot until they bleed some fuel out of the rail.

I'll have two fuel pump relays, with each relay controlling one pump. A double-pole double-throw switch will be installed in place of the regular tank switch. This will switch the fuel gauge between the two senders, and will switch the ECM pump signal between the two relays. Everything will be redundant except for the switch and the ECM. Any other single part can fail, and half the system will still work fine.

I'm planning to use this 1/4" shuttle valve. Based on the flow factor, and some calculations, I'll be fine. But I do wish it was a little bigger, though. I couldn't easily find a 3/8" shuttle valve like I would have liked.

http://www.pneutrolspares.com/media/...atasheet_1.pdf
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:47 PM   #39
Dleslie212

Quote:

SunSoaked, have you started this yet?
Old 05-30-2021, 10:27 PM   #40
SunSoaked

No, I haven't but I have the list of parts I need. I just bought a new GMC so it's kind of on the back burner at the moment. I'll have to order it one piece at a time now. Probably get the fuel tank first and get it swapped over and running on one tank and add the other side in the near future.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote