The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2021, 04:03 PM   #1
Mav

70 K10 pickup headlight switch

Trying to re-install headlight switch and cannot get knob/shaft to lock in place. Have removed from dash twice and it goes together fine, so assumed I was tightening too much and warping the switch. Have tried not tight, new knob, and wiggling switch around, along with depressing button and not. Fresh out of ideas, hope somebody can point out what I'm doing wrong. thanks.
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:40 PM   #2
Mav

Re: 70 K10 pickup headlight switch

Finally occurred to me to take knob off the shaft, then install in dash and put knob back on. Dont think you should have to do that, but it worked.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:21 AM   #3
lil hoodlum

Glad you figured it out. I've more than quite a few moments where in my mind something should have worked but didn't for one reason or another.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:17 AM   #4
sick472

I had a similar issue with an old switch installed in the dash and could not get the new replacement knob/shaft assembly to stay seated. It might stay firmly in the switch for a pull or two then it would just pull out with normal force. I noticed that the new shaft end that goes into the switch was barely different than the old one. I had to take it to the bench grinder and remove just a hair off the end. I don't remember the exact details as to what I had to grind, but it went in and has not come out since. I want to say that the very tip was just a small bit too long and not allowing the shaft to go in far enough for the catch to pop into place. If your knob does pullout, compare it to the other knob shaft and see if they differ.

Just 2¢ for you or someone else with the same problem. I really don't see how the plastic knob not being on the shaft could make a difference, but anyhow, glad your good.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #5
Mav

Thanks for replies, ended up putting old shaft back in, new one is about 1/16 shorter and chrome insert is so-so. Have changed these before and never had one fight me like this time. Oh well, keeps me out of the bar.