The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2022, 03:20 PM   #1
Dodge68charger

American Autowire Domelight Wiring?

Anyone Know Where The Connector For The Dome Light Connects?

The Truck Is A 69 c10

There Are Connectors For The L/R Courtesy Lights And A Spare Orange 12v Fused Wire ( Glove Box? )

But Not Sure Where The Dome Light Connects

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Dodge68charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:22 PM   #2
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: American Autowire Domelight Wiring?

Should be a white/orange wire for dome light and a orange wire for the glove box in AAW kit. The kit I used had a dedicated plug for the dome/courtesy lights.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:57 PM   #3
Accelo

If you are using a American Auto Wire harness it has a matching plug that come from the top of fuse block.
The AAW harness uses the same white/orange wire colors as the stock lighting. Just like 1971Stepside mentioned.
It plugs right into the fuse block if it's stock.
Remember these light are switched on when the ground is connected, not the hot.

Blazer it's simple enough to connect. If you have a truck and are using a combination of dome light, foot well lighting and cargo lights it more complicated.
Typically you have to splice some wires.

Newer cars are almost exclusive activated by switching the grounds. Been a big change since the 70's because of the wide spread use of computers.

Last edited by Accelo; 01-21-2022 at 06:04 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:17 PM   #4
Dodge68charger

I See The Orange / White From The Fuse Box Which I Thought The Courtesy Light Plugs Into.. . I Think Im Missing a Connector.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dodge68charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:23 AM   #5
BrentBTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge68charger View Post
I See The Orange / White From The Fuse Box Which I Thought The Courtesy Light Plugs Into.. . I Think Im Missing a Connector.
Posted via Mobile Device
They all plug into the same connector. If you opt for the courtesy lights, you splice them together into a single plug. If you opt to not use them, you just connect the dome light.
BrentBTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #6
Accelo

You can call customer service at American Auto Wire. A real person will answer. They are helpful and knowledgeable. If you add the foot-well lighting it requires you splice into the dome light wires. It is listed in the AAW manual but buried. Yes, the kit could have included the extra plugs but it doesn't. So many options on this circuit I guess they decided not to. It can run the glove box light, foot-well light, cab light and cargo light if you have one. I wondered the same thing when I wired mine. I have all the options so it got complicated. Remember, if you have a cargo light it only works when the dome light is switched on and the switch at the dome light is also activated. I believe the directions say to double up the wires at the plug. I found this impossible to do as there wasn't room and some connections would require up to three wires on one connection. So I ended up splicing the wiring.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 01-22-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote