The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Billett

Disc Brake and Lug Conversion

I posted this in my project thread as well, but I thought I might get a better response here...

I just bought a set of steelies from a late model silverado.

Just by looking at them I had an inkling that they wouldn't fit, especially with the offset, but I got them for $50 for all four with tires so I couldn't pass it up. Got them home and they wouldn't fit, no surprise, so I was thinking of selling them out at Carlisle but then I remembered another set of rims I currently own...

These are a set of 17x9.5 C5 corvette z06 rims. The tires on the steelies are 275 so I know they will fit on the c5's. However the c5's are obviously not the right lug pattern. They are 5x4.75 so even if I did the later model disc swap (5x5) it wouldn't work right.

My question is this; I want disc brakes and these z06 rims, but I don't know what route I should go. I recall seeing a brake swap kit that changes from 6x5.5 over to the 5x4.75. I also know there are plenty of kits for regular drum to disc with the same lug pattern and also the later model swap to the 5x5 pattern. With any of the ones above I would need some of the billet adapters for the wheels to fit. Discs on the rear would be nice also, but again I could just use the adapters if I needed to. The adapters themselves are 2" to 2-1/4" thick so that gets rid of the problem of the offset and tires rubbing, hopefully. Also my truck (supposedly) has a 2" drop with aftermarket drop springs, but stock spindles. I don't know what the benefit of drop spindles over stock would be aside from the fact that some kits need drop spindles. I am assuming it allows bigger rotors but please fill me in!

What seems to be the best approach? I know several people who run adapters on their s10s in order to fit vette rims so I am not worried about the safety of using them, but practically will it be more beneficial to have one lug pattern over another on the actual brake rotors? I apologize if this seems like a simple or dumb question but I haven't worked with brakes much aside from bleeding lines and changing pads. Any criticism is good criticism as far as I'm concerned. If it's a dumb idea just tell me up front haha
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Pro Performance

Re: Disc Brake and Lug Conversion

McGaughys does have lug conversion kit as that will go to a 5x4.75" bolt pattern. THey also have 5x5 as well, which is a lot more common for these trucks, and the typical bolt pattern for GM 5 lug trucks.

I would suggest doing a swap conversion and switching to 5x5, then using a 5x5 / 5x4.75 adapter to get the C5 wheels to fit. If for some reason you want to switch or come across wheels later, you have the traditional 5x5 pattern.

http://www.azproperformance.com/67-7...kes-McGaughys/
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

GOOD advice!^^^

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Billett

If I go with any one of these kits I should probably get the stock height spindles correct? I'm thinking that the high profile of the tire won't fit very well under another 2.5" drop...

This is how it sits now with 15s on a 2" drop spring

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna

Last edited by Billett; 07-13-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Pro Performance gave you some great advice if this is what you really want to do. My question is do you really want those rims on that truck? It seems that it will take a lot of effort to get those rims to fit and they really don't go with the style of truck your building. Since your not going with a low profile tire, we can assume that improved handling isn't your objective. It would seem more logical to sell the Vette wheels and buy some that are a direct fit, AND go with the theme of your build.

I'm not trying to offend you, just offering an outside perspective since I really dig your project.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Billett

Not offended at all. Honestly I've been going back and forth about what I want the end result of the project to be. I'd love to make it more of an autocrosser or a track truck, but there seems like there are many better and cheaper options out there for that sort of thing. Lifting it seems to impractical at the moment. I really just enjoy driving it. However I do know that I've locked the brakes up four times in a little less than a month of ownership because of all the deer and small animals around me, so regardless of what direction I go, front discs are a must have for me. I do agree though that the more I look at the rims the less they seems to fit with the truck. I think I've just had them sitting for so long that I want to see them on a truck already haha. Maybe I'll take some photos tonight and shop them on there...
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Old 07-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Pro Performance

After seeing your truck, I agree with N2Trux. I think you have a very cool project and like the lettering on the side and hood.

I think you will be Ok with a 2.5" drop spindle and those tires.

Travis
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Billett

I'm not even going to bother posting the pic. It looked terrible. Now I'm just trying to decide whether I want to do the 5x5 swap or just stick with 6 lugs. With the 6 lugs I don't have to swap the rear drums, but as you said earlier there are many more, and in my opinion more attractive, rim options for the 5x5.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Old 07-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If it were me, I might consider the current trend of running Centerline Smoothies with a stock style hubcap. You could leave the outer rim polished and add a black center to match the black accents on the truck. This would allow you to step up to an 18, 20 or even 22 if you dare. Combine the stock look with the ability to run performance tires and a mild lowering to get the handling aspect improved.

Heres a awesome example of what I am talking about. Granted its a lot lower than what you want, but it sure looks good.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Billett

Those styles are actually really popular near me and I'm not a huge fan. I don't think they look bad, just not for me. Here is one I saw at the show this past weekend,

Just a couple more to show how nice it was

Like I said I don't hate them, just not my style. However I had started looking up some styles I liked and I'm leaning towards something like this

Styled just like you mentioned with a black center and polished rim and lip. Not necessarily that exact rim, but I've always had a thing for 5 spokes and I like the older style of these. Some others I've considered

I know these are 5 lugs but they make them in 6 I just can't find a pic...

I'd love to talk to you more about the truck over on my project thread. I have some other thoughts I'd like to bounce off of you since your insight so far has been super helpful! I like the idea of the lettering on the side, but it isn't the original lettering. If you notice on the side the "TEXA" part has the shadows going one way and the "CO" going another so that the "CO" appear to be smaller letters. I'm probably going to repaint it in a similar fashion, but I'm still up in the air about how I want to do it. I like the 23 and 1/2 hour service slogan and really want to incorporate it. The truck really needs a once over on the body for a lot of other reasons too, but for now I'll stick with brakes.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna

Last edited by Billett; 07-16-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Wheel choice is a personal thing, so I completely understand where your coming from, just wanted to throw that out there.

My experience has been that whhels with bumps, humps, or bolts are a pain in the @ss to keep clean. Of those pictured, I like the simplicity of the center one. I know they can be had in black, but that would be too much I feel. Maybe they will make a set with chrome lip and black centers like the old school modular wheels.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Billett

Something Like this perhaps?

I can do paint the centers black myself if I need to. I actually did these for my previous truck. Went from this

to this for a while

to this (before clear coat)

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Old 07-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
cdowns

i think those VETTE wheels have far too much backspacing to work easily without major mods
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
Billett

they are 9.5" wide so I would have had to use at least a 2" spacer. At a guess I would probably say 2-1/4 to 2.5"
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Old 07-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
Billett

Actually before I go any further, getting back to one of my original questions that I forgot about: Is there any benefit, besides more wheel choice, of a 5 lug over a 6 or vice versa?
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

5x5 parts are available off-the-shelf at your LAPS. 6-lug discs are a special order item.

If you're set on 4.75 pattern, there are two ways: use light-duty '81-'87 spindles with 1LE Camaro rotors, or use the performanceonline (or similar) drum spindle disc conversion brackets...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
Billett

not really set on 5x4.75 any more, but thanks for the info. Didn't realize the 6 lug rotors were special order... so now it's just a decision between cost now (different rear axles) and cost later (special order rotors every time I need them).

edit: for some reason I thought new rear axles would be more, but 260 from summit isn't bad at all. Unfortunately I lied before. I forgot the problem I was worried about isn't cost now vs cost later. well I suppose it is... but I forgot to add the fact that a 5x5 conversion would mean that I would need new rims and tires now too.

although now that I type this I'm wondering if my current rims will work with discs regardless... Ever get the feeling that whenever you want to change one thing you always need to buy five other things to make it work?
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna

Last edited by Billett; 07-16-2012 at 04:20 PM.