The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
rwade

Extra air tank?

I have a fast fill compressor and a 3 gal air tank. I'm thinking of adding a 5 gal tank to the mix and connecting the two with a 1/2 air line. My system uses manual paddles and 1/4 line to bags. I air up to drive and lay it out when parked. ****** Question is: would I see enough improvement in rise (volume) time to justify installing the second tank?

Thanks for your time & imput
Posted via Mobile Device
rwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
wraprail

Re: Extra air tank?

I think you would but only if you currently use more air than your current system can supply. In other words, if you use so much of your reserve air supply on "air up" that the pressure falls below the max that your valves can flow (pressure and volume are related just don't know how to explain it) then the increased volume would increase speed.
Best I can do...
Old 06-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
ulakovic22

When you are airing up now, do you slow down during the process because you are running out of air? If so then yes extra supply will help speed it up like said above. If you currently don't have that issue then you would need to increase line size to increase your fill/dump speed.
Posted via Mobile Device
ulakovic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
davidfre21

Can you get get a full lift from your 3gal? Or do you have to wait and fill again to finish lifting. Extra air is alwaysa good thing. I wish I would have done bigger than a 5gal in my Silverado. Just so the compressor didn't have to come on every time. Another cool tip for you would put the extra 5 on it for the added volume and then hook an air Chuck to one of the ports. I use my truck for airing up tires and even airing up other trucks when they have malfunctions
Posted via Mobile Device
davidfre21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
rwade

I know which direction to go from the responses and questions asked. Thank you all for your help. Lucky to have a resource like this site, and so many people willing to share their knowledge and expierience.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #6
wraprail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulakovic22 View Post
When you are airing up now, do you slow down during the process because you are running out of air? If so then yes extra supply will help speed it up like said above. If you currently don't have that issue then you would need to increase line size to increase your fill/dump speed.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
ob1monkey

I ran a 3 gallon tank at first and hated waiting for it to fill back up to finish airing up. firestone 2600 in the front and 2500 in the back. Now I have two 5 gallon tanks one on each side of the frame, connected with a 3/8 air line. I can fill up twice without refilling 2600lb bags on all four corners.
ob1monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
rwade

Thank you all for the input. I'm going to definitely add the 5 gal tank to the mix, I hate waiting to refill too. I'll either use a 3/8 or 1/2 line to link the two.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Square_78

I have a 5 gal tank and dual 400c compressors. I find the 5gal just barely enough air. I am sometimes waiting for the tank to refil before I can finish my lifting. 5 gal is the absolute minimum I would ever run on our trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
wraprail

Interesting. I have only one 5 gal. tank, 3/8" air line, Accuair valves and a York EDC and I never run out of air, with the motor running. Engine off I get one fill from full drop. With the engine running it must fill as fast as I use it cuz I never have waited. Very quiet too.

One question, when you add another 5 gallons do you think compressor overheating or wiring/relay overheating/overload could become an issue with the increase in run time?
Any idea how much longer it would run?

Last edited by wraprail; 06-23-2013 at 09:23 AM.
wraprail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
rwade

Good question me & my compressor would be interested to hear some more input on that one. A single viair compressor filling up 8 gals of air. Is that going to kill it sooner than later?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
ob1monkey

not sure on the compressor run time, ran a crappy electric compressor for about a year. Gave up that option and switched to a sanden a/c compressor. 9 years and only on my second one( i oil it twice a year with a 50 weight in the top). Same here with engine running never have a supply issue
ob1monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
tubbedII
needs more $$$

run time is what kills the comps, but just because everything has a life span. Viairs are 100% duty cycle comps, so overheating/wiring isn't an issue as long as it's ventalated and the proper wiring gauge was used. I have a york EDC in mine and even though I don't really need the uber quick fill times, it's a lot more quiet than the electric ones and so far they are still plentifull in the yards when it breaks.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
Pro Performance

The 8 gallons will be too much for the compressor, unless you have a 100% duty compressor. The added storage will make the compressor run longer, and even though not hitting it's duty cycle, it will wear it down faster.... just the nature of having the compressor fill a larger volume. Either way, I would still recommend adding a second compressor with that much storage. Not all VIAIR compressor are 100% duty, but some are.... Ex. the 400C is a 33% duty cycle and rated for up to 150 PSI. I think the reason wraprail is seeing enough air in a 5 gallon tank to to lift the truck vs. Square_78, is because he may be on 200 PSI system.... I am guessing, but could be wrong of course. I am guessing Square_78 has a 150 PSI system, since the 400C's are only rated up to 150 PSI. Of course, weight plays a factor in how much lift you can get out of your tanks before re-filling.

Rwade, do you know what model compressor you have now? Of course, that added 5 gallons will make the compressor work harder, and could max out the duty cycle depending on which model you have in particular.

As for connecting the 2 tanks, I would suggest just 1/4" air line. This will save you a little money on buying fittings and air line, and the 1/4" flows way more than enough to transfer air between the tanks. It will be enough to keep up with your manual valves.

Hope you find this information helpful!

- Travis
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
Pro Performance

Also, TubbedII has some good points about the wiring. Make sure to run the proper gauge wiring for the amp draw and length of wire. Putting them in a ventilated area is good as well, because if they are tucked in a small space that doesn't get much air, it is just that much harder for them to keep cool.

Once you let us know the model, we should be able to pull the specs and if needed, help you determine the right gauge wire for the length it is from battery to compressor(s).
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
rwade

I'll look today & try to post tonight. Thanks Travis & everyone who's contributed to this.

Wade
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
rwade

It's a viair 325C, a 33% duty. I'll try to give you a call Travis, I've got a couple of questions.

Thanks, Wade
Posted via Mobile Device