The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
wbwisme

68 C-10 with Hotchkis kit and CPP front end wheel ?

I have a 1968 C-10 2WD pickup that has factory drum brakes front/rear. It is a 6 lug truck. I have a Hotchkis kit for it part number 80390 and ordered from CPP front disc brakes with 73-87 spindles (not drop). I was told that the factory rally wheels won't work but am habving a hard time finding other wheels for the truck.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
wbwisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
wbwisme

Re: 68 C-10 with Hotchkis kit and CPP front end wheel ?

Now I might be switching over to 5x5 bolt pattern and switching the rear to disc brakes as well. Does anyone know what offset / back space I would need on the wheel ? I wanna do factory style rally wheels and where I can get them .

Thank you

Last edited by wbwisme; 07-20-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

i dunno what your asking but im running 72 bj's and spindles with 5 lug rally truck wheels

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwisme View Post
I have a 1968 C-10 2WD pickup that has factory drum brakes front/rear. It is a 6 lug truck. I have a Hotchkis kit for it part number 80390 and ordered from CPP front disc brakes with 73-87 spindles (not drop). I was told that the factory rally wheels won't work but am habving a hard time finding other wheels for the truck.

Thanks
Did you ask whomever told you they wouldn't fit, why?

Factory ralleys should work w/factory disc brake set-ups (5x5 lug 71-87 spec'd stuff). Drop or aftermarket spindles can effect back-spacing requirements.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
wbwisme

was told that the factory drum wheels on the truck wont work with disc brake conversion. Think it hits the caliper. Not sure if I were to space it out how much I would need to space out factory rim. Trying to figure out backspacing issue if I keep the 6 lug disc brake conversion that I would need to get on the rims.

thanks
Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
was told that the factory drum wheels on the truck wont work with disc brake conversion. Think it hits the caliper. Not sure if I were to space it out how much I would need to space out factory rim. Trying to figure out backspacing issue if I keep the 6 lug disc brake conversion that I would need to get on the rims.

thanks
Ok, you're talking about 2 different types of wheels: factory steel wheel vs. factory ralley wheels.

6-lug, pre-71, steel wheels won't work w/disc brakes as they were spec'd for drum brake set-ups. They could prob be used w/a spacer but wouldn't be the best option. The post 73 4x4's did have a solid steelie that's very similar to the drum brake steelies that does work w/disc brakes. These are difficult to find used.... If you want a solid steelie that works w/disc brakes & doesn't require spacing, try purchasing them from an aftermarket source like WheelVintiques.

6-lug ralleys were used from 73-87 on 4x4's & will fit your disc brake swap.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
wbwisme

sorry, I have the factory rally wheels on the truck now (small rectangle openings).
Old 07-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
sorry, I have the factory rally wheels on the truck now (small rectangle openings).
The 5 & 6 lug ralley wheels (w/the small retangular openings) do work w/disc brakes. No spacers needed....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
wbwisme

Thanks for the replies. you guys
Old 07-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
jimmydean

A nice pic to show what wheel may/may not fit.

Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Hotchkis

Quote:

Thanks

wbwisme - Thanks for your business. You should call Rob Phillips at Phillips & Co. Hot Rods or contact him here (PM PCHRODS). Rob has a really slick C10 and is building another for a customer, so he would be the guy to ask about wheel offset and backspacing. His fitment is right on. 562.590.6200

Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
nds1968

Hey sounds like you'll have a nice project. I've been thinking about the Hotckins front A-arms but they are pricey. Where did you buy your stuff from? The best prices I could find are from Summit. Thanks, Nate

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
Hotchkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds1968 View Post
Hey sounds like you'll have a nice project. I've been thinking about the Hotckins front A-arms but they are pricey. Where did you buy your stuff from? The best prices I could find are from Summit. Thanks, Nate

Nate - Thanks for thinking about our control arms. They are a really great upgrade. We have a lot of distributors that have special deals and discounts. If you shop around you can get Hotchkis products for a great price.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #14
PCHRODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
wbwisme - Thanks for your business. You should call Rob Phillips at Phillips & Co. Hot Rods or contact him here (PM PCHRODS). Rob has a really slick C10 and is building another for a customer, so he would be the guy to ask about wheel offset and backspacing. His fitment is right on. 562.590.6200

I love back spacing questions! After reading everything that is being done to this truck. If you are running a "stock" disc brake configuration from CPP, your stock "rally" wheels should work just fine. I use to have this set up on my 69 back in the day and it worked great. But if you are going to buy another set of wheels, and your truck has the STOCK GM 10 or 12 bolt, you should be at about 4"-4 1/2" of back space on a 8" - 8.5" wheel. I really all depends on the look you are trying to achieve as well.

On our truck we run a 19x12 rear with 5" b.space and a 19x10.5 front with 5" b.space. 335/30/19 Nitto NT05's out back and 285/35/19 up front. and yes this is on a stock rear end in a 69 C10 with no rubbing. We have ran 345/30's (13.5" wide tire) in the past, but do run into minor rubbing on the inner wheel house on the bed. 70-72 truck are different because the rear end is wider than a 69 and older. Let me stress this though, always measure...measure...measure before you order wheels it's really easy to do, and this way you only have to order wheels once!! If you have any questions at all feel free to email rob@pchrods.com and I will try and help you out with anything I can.

Rob
PCHRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:58 AM   #15
PCHRODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds1968 View Post
Nate -

Let me start out by saying....and you can quote me all day long on this too!! "Hotchkis C10 components are worth every red cent"
I have ran several different brands of products on our truck, but we now have the complete Hotchkis TVS Suspension System, and i will tell you this. You will not find a better handling suspension for the C10. The upper and lower control arms to me are the heart and soul of this kit. Don't get me wrong, all the other components are definitely needed to get the "full" potential for the handling characteristics. If you want to see for yourself go to youtube and type in PCHRODS in the search and look at all the videos of our truck, i think you too will be amazed. the OUSCI videos really show you some impressive moves for a 4280 lb truck.
PCHRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #16
bcutt

Hey Rob,

Along with the TVS kit you run what else have you done to achieve that stance? Your truck is perfect!

Brandon

72 C10 SWB "Work in Progress"
bcutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #17
Portmod7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHRODS View Post
Nate -

Let me start out by saying....and you can quote me all day long on this too!! "Hotchkis C10 components are worth every red cent"
I have ran several different brands of products on our truck, but we now have the complete Hotchkis TVS Suspension System, and i will tell you this. You will not find a better handling suspension for the C10. The upper and lower control arms to me are the heart and soul of this kit. Don't get me wrong, all the other components are definitely needed to get the "full" potential for the handling characteristics. If you want to see for yourself go to youtube and type in PCHRODS in the search and look at all the videos of our truck, i think you too will be amazed. the OUSCI videos really show you some impressive moves for a 4280 lb truck.
You have a PM!
Portmod7 is offline   Reply With Quote