The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2022, 08:00 AM   #26
shambles

Re: Factory Vinyl Seat

Hello,

I got a sample from SMS yesterday. They have the pattern in stock. This is the first time I sourced seat vinyl, so not sure if this is expensive. $99 a yard, or $875 for a set. I might be interested in getting bulk material, and find someone local to make the seats. I'm still trying to get the truck running though, so I'll have to wait a bit first.

shambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:39 AM   #27
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Medium cognac is the color for the 88-91 you’re probably thinking of. That is the interior color on my 88 and looks very close to those pics above.
Yep, that’s what it’s called. Thank you, that was driving me nuts, lol.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:47 AM   #28
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
Hello,

I got a sample from SMS yesterday. They have the pattern in stock. This is the first time I sourced seat vinyl, so not sure if this is expensive. $99 a yard, or $875 for a set. I might be interested in getting bulk material, and find someone local to make the seats. I'm still trying to get the truck running though, so I'll have to wait a bit first.

That’s expensive! But if you want the original, then you’ll pay it. Some people do, some won’t.
So to give you an idea how to compare this price. When I completely restore my seats, and that’s the frame, tracks and all the hardware. Repair anything that needs repaired, gets repaired or replaced. Mainly on these 73-80 seats, it will most likely have broken end springs, so I replace those. Then the cover, which is normally around $350. It’s installed on the seat, so the seat is a completely restored seat with the new cover for $800. So your cover alone is $875. I get a lot of people that won’t pay that, and that’s fine, it’s their money. Heck I get people that think $800 for a complete restore seat is expensive, lol. It’s all about what a person is willing to pay for what they want or need.
But regardless, I’m glad they have your original materials. A lot of times they don’t.

Last edited by TKCR; 08-07-2022 at 10:53 AM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:48 PM   #29
factorystock

I'm impressed, SMS to the rescue! If the quality of the rest of the truck matches the quality of the seat material, IMO, it's worth the price. The interior is something that you see every time your in the vehicle, not a hidden part under the hood, you'll be reminded everyday if you make the wrong choice in a seat. The just as important thing about a good seat cover, is having a seat with the FULL FOAM option, that was available with the all vinyl seat.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:39 PM   #30
shambles

I like the color and pattern. If I could find a plaid upholstery that is similar, I might look for that. I like the retro look of plaid. I might do some calculations and see how much material I need.
shambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:17 PM   #31
69Tom

I'd buy the material and have it made locally. If for no other reason than SMS will take up to a year to make the cover, AND for some inexplicable reason they didn't have a seat cover for a square body to pattern it off of. I had to send pictures of the original seat cover then the crappy aftermarket one that was on the seat in my truck so they had a template.

As you have your original seat cover, it should be really easy for someone to make it locally.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:04 PM   #32
62 Longbed

O.E. seat picture from truck at recent auction .
Attached Images

62 Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote