The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Orange77

Angry Vintage air help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i ordered the vintage air sure fit kit for my 77 through wheels of time inc which had the kit cheaper than retail 1288.95 shipped to my door with chrome compressor. Hadn't heard from them in almost 2 weeks and still had nothing so i called them and vintage air. Turns out vintage air lost the supplier they had for the non air heater controls they send out with the factory air kits so now wheels of time is telling me they can send it out without the controls and give me the 100 dollars they charge for the controls. already checked CL with no luck. Ebay has a used one that should work and brothers parts is 160 before shipping/tax and LMC truck is 120 before shipping/tax. anyone know where else i can find these controls preferably new around 100 bucks?
Orange77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: Vintage air help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it the same as my '86? I was able to buy mine (it has A/C) at a parts store that carried Delco parts a few year ago. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but I want to say around $50. You might check around.

Slonaker
Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

Rock Auto has one for about $104 + S&H
Check oehq.com and oewarehouse for genuine AC/Delco parts - might have to call them directly (parts are obselete).
Don't know why you need A/C in Tucson - it is cool and breezy here in the monsoon season - just drive your truck through a flooded wash to cool off.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

I forgot - search the internet for Rock Auto discount code - like 5% off - I did this about 3 weeks ago - worked, defrayed S&H. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
Orange77

Thanks for the help guys i spent all morning talking to VA rep and person at Wheels of Time Inc. they're gonna reimburse me the $100 for the control panel and ship out the rest of the kit tomorrow. I checked out those websites tucsonjwt but had no luck i did find it cheaper at Classic Chevy Truck Parts of America (classicparts.com) the total was $115 shipped to my door. Now i have to wait for the kit and the controls to come in and see if the kit comes with a 5 prong blower switch since the 3 prong switch that will probably come on the new controls wont work. Hopefully my factory a/c controls have it if the kit doesnt cause I dont wanna have to sit and wait any longer for parts, its way too hot out here and the UofA is about to start up again leaving me with less time to install.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I see you are a student at Uof A. I stopped by the campus over the summer to take a picture of the sign for the Honors College, located in "Slonaker House."

Slonaker
Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
tucsonjwt

Just curious, didn't Vintage Air used to have an electronic heater/ac control at one time? That would be my preference.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Just curious, didn't Vintage Air used to have an electronic heater/ac control at one time? That would be my preference.
no,when i did mine 3 or 4 year's ago.they told me they were working on one.that was a bunch of crap....i got a non ac controller at that time that's what you needed from a member.i had a vinyl/graphics decal place make a new back plate for it.the a/c work's great.my wife turns it down when it's 90 out.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
Orange77

LOL yea i pass by that just about everyday on my way to the Arts department i knew i had seen the name Slonaker before when i read your post haha...and im glad to hear it works well especially since its well over 100 degrees here most of the time
Old 08-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

The name is very uncommon, so I had to take a photo.

Have an In 'n' Out Burger for me. That was the other reason I was in Tucson. It is the closest In 'n' Out to Texas.

Slonaker
Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #11
jdmaffeo

They just opened one here in dallas!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:10 AM   #12
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Send the Vintage Air back and go with one of the other systems avaiable.

Old Air would be my choice if they have a kit for your truck!
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
Orange77

what other systems do they have available for our trucks? and looks like im still stuck in the mud checked my order status this morning and they have the control panel on backorder! if i would have known when i placed the order i wouldnt have placed it. Apparently theyve been waiting on the part from GM since june so i canceled my order with them. gonna go down to the dealership see if they have it in stock and even try a local parts store.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:01 AM   #14
draggin86

Hey how soon are you going to install your Vintage Air unit? you should do a nice install write up for us that are wanting it so we have a better idea what you get and how it all works!
draggin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #15
Orange77

Im going to install hopefully as soon as i get it. The UofA is about to start on the 23rd so i might be too strained for time to actually take pics and do a right up but i will try. I found the heater control panel at a junk yard around here was the best one on the lot, also scored a driverside ac vent with duct haha just layin in a blazer. Ill post some pics of the parts before i took them apart to clean and after. there are a few right ups with pics in some mags you guys probably read too. heres one i found just searching on google http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/06...all/index.html im going to use it as a guide already got a buddy from autozone getting the 5 prong blower switch from a friend of his at the dealership.

Last edited by Orange77; 08-21-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #16
Orange77

still have no vintage air and have not heard from paul about my tracking id for ups with multiple messages left...i wouldnt recommend ordering from these guys unless you have more than a month to wait for their parts to arrive, with super slow service and terrible communication skills with their customers i doubt i will deal with them again.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

did you pay with CC? PP? if CC deny the charges at ur bank, if PP, then open a dispute, of course since over 30 days, might not do any good, but worth a try. it will get the retailers attention. Also, call VA, see if they are having parts or manufacturing issues that might explain.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #18
Orange77

i called again once after i logged off and still just got voicemail, apparently the guy at wheels of time who i ordered through told me he swears he saw the invoice on friday that it had shipped but he wasnt 100% sure and wasnt in office to look so idk if that was just a load of BS to get me off the phone or not. i asked the ups guy that comes to pick up the stuff we send out at my job and he told me it shouldnt take more than 3 days tops to get from san antonio where VA is to my house...so well see what happens in the next few days...might have to cancel the CC charge and get my money back. It kills me to think about doing that because there is no alternative to VA for our trucks except stock ac...
Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
Orange77

unless im forgetting a manufacturer that makes a kit similar to the VA sure fit for our trucks...
Old 08-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #20
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange77 View Post
i asked the ups guy that comes to pick up the stuff we send out at my job and he told me it shouldnt take more than 3 days tops to get from san antonio where VA is to my house
Are you sure it is shipping from San Antonio? Vintage air is here, but the dealer you ordered from appears to be in Mississippi.

I guess it could drop ship from VA in SA, but I have never heard anything bad about Vintage Air. My guess is the small time dealer you ordered from is screwing you around.

Slonaker
Old 08-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
Orange77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
Are you sure it is shipping from San Antonio? Vintage air is here, but the dealer you ordered from appears to be in Mississippi.

I guess it could drop ship from VA in SA, but I have never heard anything bad about Vintage Air. My guess is the small time dealer you ordered from is screwing you around.

Slonaker
Yea i thought the same thing when the VA rep told me they ship the orders straight from their warehouse in san antonio, and i doubt Gary over at wheels of time is messing around because when they had the issue with the heater controls he reimbursed me the extra 100 dollars for the new part the next day. I do have to tell you guys that through all this i hoped someone on this forum worked with VA so something would be done since the rep i dealt with never returned my calls. COOLAIR who is a Tech Adviser/Senior Salesman/Assistant Sales Manager for Vintage Air saw the thread and sent me a PM apologizing for the communication issues and the delay on the kit and gave me my tracking number. Apparently i was blessed in ordering the kit when the non ac control panel was discontinued from GM and after that issue was addressed they ran out of the 14 x 24 condensers that most of the Sure Fits use. They got a shipment of them on Friday and sent out my kit on Monday...Good people like COOLAIR make everything right
Old 08-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #22
coolair

Thanks Orange 77 - again, if anyone has a problem, question, anything about Vintage Air - please, do not hesitate in contacting me - I'm mostly on the 60-66 section but do poke around to check out everyone's trucks and make sure Slonaker isn't saying anything bad about me

Best way to get a hold of me in through the VA email - tech@vintageair.com or call 1.800.862.6658 ext.111 as there are times I might not get on here for a week or so at a time.

Thanks guys!!!

Mark
coolair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #23
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolair View Post
I'm mostly on the 60-66 section but do poke around to check out everyone's trucks and make sure Slonaker isn't saying anything bad about me
I can't talk bad about you until after I move.

Slonaker