The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
SatisTraction

anyone ever put 4 seatbelts into a 85?

I know that is a odd question

But i have myself and 3 passengers that need to be belted in.

I am sure i could do the fab work to get the job done but i wonder about the safety and legality of it.

this is more for Sunday cruising then for daily driving.

85 C10 6.0 project
69 camaro ls1 / t56
90 mustang lx
75 bronco injected 351w

Last edited by SatisTraction; 08-24-2010 at 02:09 AM.
SatisTraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: anyone ever put 4 seatbelts into a 85?

I'm pretty sure that you can "physically" do it.....but the "legatily" is quite another thing. As far as I know, you cannot "modify" the OE seatbelts in any way.
As dumb as it sounds, it's not legal to "up-grade" to a 5-point racing harness....even though it is definately better, you can't do it. Would someone (police) complain about it? I doubt it, but they probably would about 4 persons in the front seat of a pick-up truck....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
engineco713

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I'm pretty sure that you can "physically" do it.....but the "legatily" is quite another thing. As far as I know, you cannot "modify" the OE seatbelts in any way.
As dumb as it sounds, it's not legal to "up-grade" to a 5-point racing harness....even though it is definately better, you can't do it. Would someone (police) complain about it? I doubt it, but they probably would about 4 persons in the front seat of a pick-up truck....
That's correct.....you can be ticketed for 4 people in the cab of a standard cab pick up truck as it was only designed to carry 3 people and reasonably protect from injuries in the event of an impact. Even with adding another seat belt (which also violates federal law for impact protection). You could be given a SERO (repair order) forcing you to get the vehicle inspected by a police officer or risk having your registration and license suspended. As soon as someone (an officer) looked to see you had modified your seat belts they are going to tell you that you need to return it to factory. On top of all that it you could be fined for violating state law's for imparing your ability to control the vehicle to prevent a collision.
engineco713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

up here (Ont,Canada) i was told to alter the location of belts or install a seat not installed at factory(ie3rd row in suburban),without a safety inspection would give your insurance a reason to cancel a policy.I cut the roof off a car but did not alter the belt location,was not illegal.....you can go topless in Canada!
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote