The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Site Feedback and Announcements

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #1
402Bowtie

Desktop vs mobile

Anyone else noticing no difference between desktop style viewing and mobile style viewing when on the site using your phone? I'm only getting the mobile style, which happened sometime in the last 24 hours, and it sucks. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix? The dropdown selection at the bottom of the web page does nothing... Mobile style regardless of selection.
402Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #2
Bbarbeau

Re: Desktop vs mobile

Yup, I've noticed that I need to press desktop style about three times and then it actually displays it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402Bowtie View Post
Anyone else noticing no difference between desktop style viewing and mobile style viewing when on the site using your phone? I'm only getting the mobile style, which happened sometime in the last 24 hours, and it sucks. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix? The dropdown selection at the bottom of the web page does nothing... Mobile style regardless of selection.

72 C20 Highlander, 350
Bbarbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
68 P.O.S.

I've had this problem for a long time. It comes and goes. In mobile mode, the search function doesn't work either.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

this forum is in a bad need of a migration to something newer than vBulletin Version v3.x. This code is like ancient, sadly vBullentin went down the tubes so the choices are hard, time consuming, and very likely expensive (assuming there is even a migration option for forums anymore).

PS:
VB v3 came out in 2004, then v3.8 came out around 2006 or so. After v3, you have v4 and then v5. I think v4 was a total bomb and v5 I understand was a improvement, to some degree. But at least v5 is still being updated/released as of Oct 2020

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #5
57taskforce
All about them K’s

If youre using an iPhone try clicking on the AA at the top of the screen next to the web address bar. Go to website settings and click the request desktop site automatically slide bar. I haven’t had a problem in 6 months since doing this.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:41 PM   #6
402Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
If youre using an iPhone try clicking on the AA at the top of the screen next to the web address bar. Go to website settings and click the request desktop site automatically slide bar. I haven’t had a problem in 6 months since doing this.
I found a similar setting on my android, but can't seem to make it permanent. Have to do it every time I open a new tab... Getting closer though... I'll keep playing with it. Thanks for the tip!
402Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:32 PM   #7
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
this forum is in a bad need of a migration to something newer than vBulletin Version v3.x. This code is like ancient, sadly vBullentin went down the tubes so the choices are hard, time consuming, and very likely expensive (assuming there is even a migration option for forums anymore).

PS:
VB v3 came out in 2004, then v3.8 came out around 2006 or so. After v3, you have v4 and then v5. I think v4 was a total bomb and v5 I understand was a improvement, to some degree. But at least v5 is still being updated/released as of Oct 2020
yep, and Josh has addressed this a few times.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:55 PM   #8
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Hi Liz, I hope you are well! Being Administrator ain't easy!

Where has Josh addressed this, since I am curious. I did see one post from 2018 asking about if the site was going to get upgraded but that user got some kind of crazy slap down from Special-K - I want to avoid getting B-Slapped LOL

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 05-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #9
Josh
He's got mean nasty FANGS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
Hi Liz, I hope you are well! Being Administrator ain't easy!

Where has Josh addressed this, since I am curious. I did see one post from 2018 asking about if the site was going to get upgraded but that user got some kind of crazy slap down from Special-K - I want to avoid getting B-Slapped LOL
It's a long complicated process to upgrade. I have the licenses to step up to 5. It's a plan for this summer, however, I have to take a few days off of work in order to be able to do so. When I didn't a test run of the upgrade it took 4 days just to process everything with the current server. Going to upgrade the server and then I can upgrade the forum software. It'll result in a week + of downtime and I am working on some sort of interim solution to keep the conversation flowing with minimal post loss or downtime.

It will happen, just not sure when I can get enough free time between family and work to do it right.
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
josh@67-72chevytrucks.com
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #10
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Hi Josh - thank you for the time to post that information!

Yes, I feel your pain for sure. I remember when I migrated from phpBB (heavily Mod'ed) to VB 3.x when it was still the main game in town. Even minor upgrades are time consuming and my old gaming forum wasn't 10% the size of this one, though it was heavily Mod'ed too. Which in the end my awards mod is what bit me in the arse by being compromised to the point I gave up recovering it. Luckily by that time the forum was more or less dead for years and I was tired of paying for the month fee for the server. Oh, the good old days!

Anyways, in the end you'll have at least one forum member that will understand when you tackle this. Heck, getting it updated is only 1/2 the battle.... post update you'll be dealing with all kinds of issues and members whining about either things that are simply gone or broken with no ETA of getting fixed.

As a suggestion, as you get this marked on the calendar to be done you guys might want to post a big announcement for a fundraiser. I know I would be willing to give more, outside of my membership I am paying for now. You are looking at hard hours / days and like you say, you'll be doing it on your vacation - which should be spent vacationing with your family. I suppose I could see others thinking this might be a money grab but assure those members this should be seen as "Thank God / Bonus Pay" for this kind of major work. It's like doing a frame off restoration on a truck that's been sitting in 10 ft of salt water for the last 20 years. I might be exaggerating a bit with that analogy but not by much LOL