The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #126
dennis57

Re: My 57 build (lots of pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
You're welcome. By the way, you've not only got great taste in trucks but in dogs too! My "Sooner" looks nearly the same as the dog in your avatar. I assume he/she is yours? Labs are great dogs. They give grerat automotive advice too. They sleep on the floor right next to you and when you ask them, they agree with every idea you have!

Here's my boy:
Yep, that's my Chewy. She's a great dog and it only took 8 years to train her.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #127
Dan in Pasadena

"Chewy" Thats so damned funny. An EXCELLENT name for a Lab as you (and anyone whose ever had one) well knows.

My dog is 5-1/2 now and I couldn't ask for a better dog. He loves to ride on my Jet Ski's. He's super intelligent...but until he was 2 he came THIS CLOSE to getting tossed. He chewed everything. If he brushed against a shrub in the yard and it moved? He chewed the hell out of it.

The topper was the plastic cover for the Euro style long license plate recess in my girlfriend's then-new Audi TT. The U.S. plate was screwed to it so he pulled it off the car and chewed the CRAP out of it in the backyard. She wanted to give him away.....I gave HER away! Afterall, Dog is MAN's best friend, not woman's. Best to you, love your truck. Dan
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #128
dennis57

OK, I'm getting my build back on track after a small detour. I was having a lot of problems trying to select some seats that I liked. After buying the donor Vette I decided to see how it's seats looked in the truck. After spending a bunch of time mocking up different heights I built a seat frame today and got them installed. The frame is roughed in but I think it will work. I am going to get some electric seat track to put under these seats later on. I am also going to cut off the headrest and reshape the back foam then reglass the back of the bucket to fit. With the head rest off you won't see the seats through the window.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #129
nuke1

nice truck you have, wish i could find a donor car like that cheap around here, never happen up here.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:53 AM   #130
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Nice work! Can you incorporate the 'vette console into your dash idea? The seats will definetly look better once you cut them down so they can't be seen through the glass!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #131
dennis57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Nice work! Can you incorporate the 'vette console into your dash idea? The seats will definetly look better once you cut them down so they can't be seen through the glass!
Thanks! I might look at using the shifter but the console will be sheet metal.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #132
dennis57

Not much progress lately I've been busy with other things this last week but I did mock up the console and I'm happy with this configuration. I'll try and pickup some metal to start building the frame work next week.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #133
Dan in Pasadena

Whew, that console takes up a lot of room. What are your plans for the console? Any storage space inside it? If so, how will it be accessed? Where/style of door to get into it? Gauges? Maybe an old style vertical Vette radio/stereo?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #134
marc70chevy

I just read your whole thread, you have done a lot of work on it and it looks amazing so far. With your center console being so high that is also good for another reason than just looks. I don't know how low your going to go with the suspension, but you could cut the floor pan where the transmission is and driveshaft then rebuild it back around it for more clearence. And no one would even know because it would be under your center console.
marc70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:59 PM   #135
dennis57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Whew, that console takes up a lot of room. What are your plans for the console? Any storage space inside it? If so, how will it be accessed? Where/style of door to get into it? Gauges? Maybe an old style vertical Vette radio/stereo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc70chevy View Post
I just read your whole thread, you have done a lot of work on it and it looks amazing so far. With your center console being so high that is also good for another reason than just looks. I don't know how low your going to go with the suspension, but you could cut the floor pan where the transmission is and driveshaft then rebuild it back around it for more clearence. And no one would even know because it would be under your center console.
Thanks guys. I was thinking about using the heat and AC evap out of the vette and build those into the console. I don't want the AC unit to be seen hanging out from under the dash. I plan to build a tube frame to support everything and as you can see the top will be sheet metal but the sides will be removable panels that will most likely be covered with leather.

Marc, I'm going to at least use the front suspension off of the Vette but I haven't made up my mind about the rear. I'd like to bag it and I'm not sure how well the Vette rear suspension will work with bags. I like to have the ability to drop the truck to the rockers. I haven't given any thought to raising the floor to allow the engine and trans to sit higher in the frame.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #136
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis57 View Post
Thanks guys. I was thinking about using the heat and AC evap out of the vette and build those into the console. I don't want the AC unit to be seen hanging out from under the dash. I plan to build a tube frame to support everything and as you can see the top will be sheet metal but the sides will be removable panels that will most likely be covered with leather.
Very smart. I would use the Vette HVAC system if you can. It could possibly save you a bunch of money, not to mention improved looks inside the truck

Quote:
...I haven't made up my mind about the rear. I'd like to bag it and I'm not sure how well the Vette rear suspension will work with bags. I like to have the ability to drop the truck to the rockers. I haven't given any thought to raising the floor to allow the engine and trans to sit higher in the frame.
I love the way a chromed out Vette independent rear suspension looks. I don't know if that is truly possible given your goal is to drop it so low.

I'm very interested to see how this truck comes out. You've mentioned painting it green a couple of times. Do you have a specific color or color combo in mind yet?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #137
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Dennis, Have you seen this months Classic Trucks yet? There's a Cameo with the same dash treatment!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #138
dennis57

Quote:
Dennis, Have you seen this months Classic Trucks yet? There's a Cameo with the same dash treatment!
Say it ain't so!! LOL, I'll have to pick one up.

Found it online. That is a nice truck!! I hope mine turns out a fraction as nice.

Last edited by dennis57; 07-15-2009 at 08:39 PM.
dennis57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #139
Bigblue29
Thanks 'til you're better paid

I thought of YOUR truck when I saw that! Definately something to strive to. But it looks like you'll get there.

1950 Chevy AD 3100 pickup
2000 GMC Sierra

1970 Jeepster Commando
Bigblue29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #140
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

I really like the way the dash V's were carried over to the seats!
Old 07-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #141
marc70chevy

Quote:
I really like the way the dash V's were carried over to the seats!
i was just thinking that
marc70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #142
dennis57

I got past a major stumbling block today . When I bought the truck it came with a NM title so I figured no problems, Oh was I wrong. It has taken almost 3 months to get this thing registered. But today it's finally done and a fresh title in my name.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #143
jjjmm56

All right Now get back to work!!!
jjjmm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #144
Roadkill58

Quote:
I got past a major stumbling block today . When I bought the truck it came with a NM title so I figured no problems, Oh was I wrong. It has taken almost 3 months to get this thing registered. But today it's finally done and a fresh title in my name.
dennis57, I bought the 58 GMC out of state. I pulled the motor (bare block),
and trans, drivers door, bed and hood before I trailered it to DMV just in case they might want to keep it. Kalifornia DMV said the truck needed to be finished before they would do VIN verification. I told them that was stupid, and why would anyone spend time, and money if they weren't sure the truck would pass verification. To make a short story long I trailered the gutted 58 to a CHP office, but had to make an appointment. One month later I returned with the truck. The CHP inspector said normaly the truck should be finished, but since it was a classic with original frame (except for chevelle front suspension), and not many left he did the verification. The other reason he did the verification was the number plate had the original rivets,
and was in good shape. Whew! Now I still have to go to DMV and deal with them (different office this time). Back in the day when I was registering a 48 I spent an hour sweating it out in a DMV special investigators office. I'ts not fun dealing with DMV. The things we have to do just to enjoy our trucks.

Last edited by Roadkill58; 07-30-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Roadkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #145
dennis57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill58 View Post
dennis57, I bought the 58 GMC out of state. I pulled the motor (bare block),
and trans, drivers door, bed and hood before I trailered it to DMV just in case they might want to keep it. Kalifornia DMV said the truck needed to be finished before they would do VIN verification. I told them that was stupid, and why would anyone spend time, and money if they weren't sure the truck would pass verification. To make a short story long I trailered the gutted 58 to a CHP office, but had to make an appointment. One month later I returned with the truck. The CHP inspector said normaly the truck should be finished, but since it was a classic with original frame (except for chevelle front suspension), and not many left he did the verification. The other reason he did the verification was the number plate had the original rivets,
and was in good shape. Whew! Now I still have to go to DMV and deal with them (different office this time). Back in the day when I was registering a 48 I spent an hour sweating it out in a DMV special investigators office. I'ts not fun dealing with DMV. The things we have to do just to enjoy our trucks.
Roadkill58, I'm glad mine wasn't that bad. Here many of the DMV offices are privately owned and operated. They came to the house to do the vin ID. They charged $50 but I figured that was worth it seeing how the cab is off the frame. Even though I had a valid NM title I guess because of the length of time the truck hadn't been tagged it wasn't in the state system any longer. That's what had things screwed up. Good luck with yours.

Last edited by dennis57; 07-30-2009 at 10:30 PM.
dennis57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:52 AM   #146
blackdiesel

You people need to live in Arkansas, Take a hand written BOS, 13 bucks, and prof. of Ins. and get tags for life and a new title. As long as it's over 25 years old.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway

Last edited by blackdiesel; 07-31-2009 at 07:53 AM.
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:40 AM   #147
Bigblue29
Thanks 'til you're better paid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
You people need to live in Arkansas, Take a hand written BOS, 13 bucks, and prof. of Ins. and get tags for life and a new title. As long as it's over 25 years old.
That was pretty much the drill in MN too. Except it cost around $100 and I got a lifetime collector plate for as long as I own the truck.

Sometimes I wish I lived in California... then I remember why I like it here where its cold! Keeps the Riff raff to a minimum!

1950 Chevy AD 3100 pickup
2000 GMC Sierra

1970 Jeepster Commando
Bigblue29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #148
dennis57

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
That's a sweet deal.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #149
dennis57

Well I've been slacking these last few weeks. I'm just not real happy with the seats and console so I decided to put the cab aside for now and get to work on the frame. I stored the cab and moved the frame in. When I took the bed off I found that the joint where the frame was sectioned needs some work to make it sound. I measured a 3 places to see if the frame was straight and came up with 3/16 off to dead on.

bye for now

The splice/joint. Not so good looking.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #150
hotrodrookie

That joint definetly needs some full penetration, backing plate, and a rail boxing. Good luck.
hotrodrookie is offline   Reply With Quote