The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2022, 11:06 PM   #1
D-n-Tyke

Will later model fuel tanks fit?

Looking at how best to do my fuel system set up. Swapping in an LS so need a high pressure and return in the tank. I know I can put a pump and filter outside the tank to make it work but if I can I would rather have the pump on the tank like a stock setup. Saw this guy put a later (87-89 I think) blazer tank in his square body K5 build. Was wondering if that tank would fit in a 67-72 burban (mine is a 69). Looking at his install it looks like the full neck is on the wrong side (on passenger side) but the tank looks symmetrical so could probably be swapped around.

Link to the tank he used.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C7QKIM..._ydWZEb40G0MP9

What setups have you guys used successfully?
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:55 AM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Will later model fuel tanks fit?

In mine, I installed a late model square body Suburban tank which is deeper than a Blazer tank. It's a 4x4 so it's ok. A lowered vehicle it might be a little low.

I had to relocated the rear frame crossmember to the very back and purchased another from Richard which I installed closer to the rear axle. This gave me the two attachment points for the square body straps.

I had to heat and re-angle the filler neck. The diameter was also slightly different than the OE and I had to make an adapter.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:40 PM   #3
pontiacvince

I installed a 40gal. tank from an '88-'89. It's a little work, but well worth it.
Attached Images

pontiacvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:15 AM   #4
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
In mine, I installed a late model square body Suburban tank which is deeper than a Blazer tank. It's a 4x4 so it's ok. A lowered vehicle it might be a little low.

I had to relocated the rear frame crossmember to the very back and purchased another from Richard which I installed closer to the rear axle. This gave me the two attachment points for the square body straps.

I had to heat and re-angle the filler neck. The diameter was also slightly different than the OE and I had to make an adapter.
Is the tank yoi installed a metal or plastic tank? You remember the part number of it?
Old 06-23-2022, 12:16 AM   #5
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacvince View Post
I installed a 40gal. tank from an '88-'89. It's a little work, but well worth it.
40 gal sounds like a nice capacity. What was required to make it fit? Got a part number for the tank you installed?
Old 06-23-2022, 01:23 AM   #6
D-n-Tyke

When you guys installed the later model square bidy tanks was the fill tube on the correct side (driver side) or was it on the passenget side? The build I have seen all show it on the passenger side and then doesn't show how they get it to work with the fill necknon the driver side? Did you guys encounter this problem and if so how did you deal with it?
Old 06-23-2022, 06:57 AM   #7
Bigdav160

The filler necks are soldered in. If you heat the connection, wait for the solder soften, you can turn the neck any direction you want. New filler hose isn't very flexible so take that into consideration.

The part numbers are GM14C for the 31 gallon and GM25C for the 40 gallon

There's a decent picture of installation into a '69 truck in the link you posted. I elected to mount the tank the other direction and turn the filler neck. My fuel lines run up the passenger frame rail.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe

Last edited by Bigdav160; 06-23-2022 at 07:02 AM.
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:48 PM   #8
pontiacvince

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-n-Tyke View Post
40 gal sounds like a nice capacity. What was required to make it fit? Got a part number for the tank you installed?
You have to move the stock crossmember back to mount the larger tanks. I added the vent tubes to the 40gal. tank to use my stock vent system. I also used the stock filler neck on the drivers side.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:52 PM   #9
D-n-Tyke

So I may be over thinking this but can these tanks be installed both ways without an issue? ie the tank can be installed with the neck positioned either on the passenger side or the driver side without any functional impact (ie baffles wouldn't work because they are now "backwards"?
Old 06-23-2022, 05:35 PM   #10
pontiacvince

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-n-Tyke View Post
So I may be over thinking this but can these tanks be installed both ways without an issue? ie the tank can be installed with the neck positioned either on the passenger side or the driver side without any functional impact (ie baffles wouldn't work because they are now "backwards"?
I would assume so. The later Burbs had the filler neck in the passenger side. And they are inbaffled.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2022, 06:42 PM   #11
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacvince View Post
I would assume so. The later Burbs had the filler neck in the passenger side. And they are inbaffled.
Perfect. I assume you went with the GMC25C tank (or the equivalent). What part number did you for the pump/sender assembly, assuming you went with an intank pump.

I am starting to think about if I can use the internal pump out of my donor (2004 Suburban) just retro it so that it will fit on a pump/sender assembly that will fit in the new tank. That way I don't have to go with a Corvette filter and can just run a standard filter, keeping the fuel system as close to factory (for 2004) as I can for this LS swap. Anyone know of any reason that wouldn't work? (Fuel rail on my LS manifold is the none regulated single connection style).
Old 06-23-2022, 09:07 PM   #12
pontiacvince

I ordered the tank and sender together from LMC.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:55 PM   #13
72-k20-burb

I used a newer 40 gallon that is baffled for my LS swap. The rear straps are on welded tabs on my trailer hitch actually. Fits great, looks fine in my opinion.

Only thing I would say is the baffled newer style tank and pump hanger from LMC, I can't seem to get all the fuel out. It's as level as a mount as I can get but I run out of gas with about 6-8 gallons left in there.

I took it all apart, the pickup is basically touching the bottom, no idea why it runs out early. Either way a 34 gallon tank is better than what I had!