The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2022, 11:43 AM   #1
traut811

'67 C10 Raising bed floor 2"

Hey guys.

I've come to the conclusion I need to raise my bed floor. I have been running no floor for a couple years, because I'm slow when I do things and it gave me a chance to monitor all the work I was doing on the back half of the truck.

I have a wood floor that needs to go in. Realistically my 9" housing would have probably hit the floor at some point, so I put bump stops in to limit this but now I'm hitting the stops on big bumps. I do not want to go higher on ride height.

Is there an "easy" way to do this? I would do 1/2", 1". 2" whatever if theres a certain amount you can go before really crossing the bridge and building framework for everything to go up. I'm just really close and anything would help me out. I don't necessarily plan on going any lower in the future.

I assume my flange around the outside of the bed would need to be cut off and welded up higher where it bolts the bedsides to the wood slats. I am also guessing the tubs need to be cut shorter and the flange moved up on them as well.

Any insight would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance!
traut811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:03 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: '67 C10 Raising bed floor 2"

The only advice I would have would be to ask a moderator to move your thread to the pickup section. I am assuming you have a pickup as I just can't imagine driving a Burban with the wood floor removed.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:53 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Moved to pickup forum.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:23 AM   #4
traut811

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
The only advice I would have would be to ask a moderator to move your thread to the pickup section. I am assuming you have a pickup as I just can't imagine driving a Burban with the wood floor removed.

Ah shoot!!! I'm really sorry about that. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Moved to pickup forum.

LockDoc
Thank you LockDoc, sorry about that.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by traut811 View Post
Ah shoot!!! I'm really sorry about that. Thanks for the heads up!

Thank you LockDoc, sorry about that.
No problem...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:34 AM   #6
pjmoreland

Member cab4word67 raised his bed not too long ago. He might have some suggestions for you. His was a stepside though.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...postcount=2775
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:47 PM   #7
tdangle

Since I'm in the middle of replacing my wood bed on a 8' Fleetside box. to raise the floor only, you could use 2" square tubing or c channel and attach it to the sides, shim up the cross pieces and then install the wood and strips to the furring. Probably could use wood also and longer bolts. Sounds like a lot of work. What about just a raised portion at the axle. Of course you loose some truck functionality, but I'm assuming you have lowered it and don't use it as a truck now. Good luck

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:52 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

hewittca raised his bed in a pretty cool way, maybe you could do something similar but like you were saying, only a couple of inches.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=821012&page=3

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:56 AM   #9
traut811

(Disregard frame in foreground of picture below, garage is too packed full of junk.) This is my current ride height though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
Member cab4word67 raised his bed not too long ago. He might have some suggestions for you. His was a stepside though.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...postcount=2775
Thank you. I looked through his pictures and they do help. I feel like a stepside could be much easier after looking at it though.

I also wanted to note I'm going to hinge the whole center section so that throws a wrench in a couple things as well but hopefully shouldn't be bad. I'm slow, but still working on the hinge mechanism (pictured below). I will use a double bear claw latch with release to latch the back down, giving me access to my tank, pump, suspension components and vent canisters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
Since I'm in the middle of replacing my wood bed on a 8' Fleetside box. to raise the floor only, you could use 2" square tubing or c channel and attach it to the sides, shim up the cross pieces and then install the wood and strips to the furring. Probably could use wood also and longer bolts. Sounds like a lot of work. What about just a raised portion at the axle. Of course you loose some truck functionality, but I'm assuming you have lowered it and don't use it as a truck now. Good luck
I saw someone else use c channel and bolt it to the sides. I never really thought about that, just spacing it up basically.

It's actually still used as a "truck" if needed, which is why it doesn't have nice shiny paint on it for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
hewittca raised his bed in a pretty cool way, maybe you could do something similar but like you were saying, only a couple of inches.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=821012&page=3

Alright that wins. That's probably the most correct way to do it, and good for him on a job well done. He addressed several other modifications I am needing to do as well.

Thank you very much for this.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2022, 08:33 AM   #10
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by traut811 View Post
Alright that wins. That's probably the most correct way to do it, and good for him on a job well done. He addressed several other modifications I am needing to do as well.

Thank you very much for this.
I'm glad you like my method and it can help out It is a combination and variation of several different methods that I've seen done before. My approach was all centered around retaining the ability to still load up the bed occasionally and actually use it as a truck. The truck is not drivable yet, but I do have the bed loaded up with all my extra parts and there's still plenty of suspension travel left.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:40 AM   #11
traut811

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
I'm glad you like my method and it can help out It is a combination and variation of several different methods that I've seen done before. My approach was all centered around retaining the ability to still load up the bed occasionally and actually use it as a truck. The truck is not drivable yet, but I do have the bed loaded up with all my extra parts and there's still plenty of suspension travel left.
I seriously may take you up on that, and may have questions on how to execute if I get stuck and you're willing.
I'm a sucker for wanting things to be unnoticeable to people that anything was ever modified and maintaining factory characteristics. Yours looks really clean.

I need to read over that thread a couple more times before I ask any questions in case I missed something though.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:31 PM   #12
1967-C10

what if you bolted bed sides to the bottom of crossmember,(instead of top),
and installed new floor on top of cross member ? that would give you about 1.5" drop?
1967-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:35 PM   #13
traut811

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-C10 View Post
what if you bolted bed sides to the bottom of crossmember,(instead of top),
and installed new floor on top of cross member ? that would give you about 1.5" drop?
You might be on to something. Then just space up the cross members 1.5" also so the whole bedsides aren't down 1.5". I'll look at it again tonight.