The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
texjake

Quadrajet carburetor stalling/hesitation/sputtering

Someone please help! I have had this dilemma since I rebuilt my carburetor and I don't know if it's the carb or something in the tank; the float or pickup. It seems that I only have this problem (the stalling/hesitation/sputtering & almost dies & does die) when making a hard left turn. When I'm driving straight (full throttle) and when turning right it does not cut out at all, it runs great! And this happens when the tank is 1/2 full & full. I also replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, cap, rotor, wires & plugs; mine has the HEI distributor & I replaced the vacuum lines. I also worry if it's vapor locking. So far this has been happening when it's 95 degrees and above outside. It's a non-return line system and I'm not sure if it's the gas cap causing my issues either. If I need to get a vented gas cap. And just a fyi; my gas gauge points to the 3 o'clock position when the tank is full and will work it's way to the 1/2 mark when it is almost empty. I'm wondering if there is a hole in the float in the tank. If that matters or not to my issue, I donno.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
airdale94

Re: Quadrajet carburetor stalling/hesitation/sputtering

Sounds like fuel level, or also there's a little foam piece that goes in the bowl. Some people remove these but then your fuel level has to be readjusted. Also if you don't get your needle on the right portion of your float it can cause this problem. I believe it goes on the front tang. A common mistake is to put them on the back.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
luvbowties

Smile Re: Quadrajet carburetor stalling/hesitation/sputtering

Re: a hole in float--no hole. If all else is good, & it had one, float would fill w/fuel, drop to bottom of tank, and read "Empty" all the time.

Re: sputtering when turning 1 direction--You already mentioned using a vented cap--quick, cheap, & good suggestion! Next, if it has one, I'd replace short flex fuel line connecting steel line from tank to rear of fuel pump: like me, they will collapse when they get a bit of age on them. **During hard right, engine prolly stays pretty much down on motor supports, as engine torques left very seldom[exc. in reverse, keeping pass. side support from wearing fast], whereas it torques hard to right every time you accelerate & thus wears out driver side support first; this worn support lets engine rotate hard on left turns, possibly helping flex line to begin its kink/collapse.

More likely, imo: then, I'd carefully set the float level to correct specs per the number on your carb and kit/float used. That level is critical on a q'jet., & I'd suspect it to be shutting your needle-and-seat while a bit low. Those are great carbs, when right--else GM wouldn't have used them for so long and on so many applications. May take a time or two, but you can get it adjusted properly.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote