The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Brett K

Advice on shopping for 55-57 needed.

In a few months (hopefully), I hope to be in the market for a project 55-57 Chevy/GMC shortbed. I am hoping to find a good candidiate for a resto-mod (upgrades drivetrain and suspension). I am hoping to find something with a nice clean body and frame and as original as possible, as in not hacked up. I am from northeastern PA and everything here is either swiss cheese with huge rust issues or something that used to be a rust bucket (so you have to really know what to look for in finding one that was done right.

My question is regarding buying a truck from the southwest and having it shipped here. I see a bunch on craigslist from 2-5k that look like good candidates. What kinds of isses should I be looking for in trucks from this area? What kind of shipping costs might I be looking at? I am a little concerned given I may be buying a truck sight unseen. Is it worth the gamble? What can I do to minimize my chances of getting ripped off?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Brett K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Brett K

Re: Advice on shopping for 55-57 needed.

Whoops! Newbie mistake! I meant to post this in the general 47-59 truck section.
Brett K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
jimig1

If you find something near some one they maybe willing to go look at it for you. A lot of guys here are very helpful. I found my truck here in MN and it was from TX and not a lot of rust. You may get lucky and find some thing close. Are you willing or able to do any body work? I have seen some good deals out there.
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
OrrieG

Look at high desert area in NM, UT and ID too. We only get 17 inches of moisture per year here and usually (this year was different) that is snow in the winter that burns off pretty quick.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
jimig1

I was just looking around and find this it is about an hour away from you. http://www.racingjunk.com/category/4...ect-truck.html
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote