The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Donaldo

Exhausting

Does anyone have any pics of AD from the side and rear with exhaust pipe(s) they can share - where did you end it ?

I am making a single exhaust with 3" tubing and don't want to cut it too short too many times....

http://www.donsbirds.com/pick-up
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Exhausting

3 inch sounds a bit big and hard to work with when you are trying to do it yourself at home. Then you get into the is it going to dump in front of the rear wheel or behind it or out under the rear bumper.

Even though I worked in a muffler shop for a while years ago exhaust is something I'd rather leave to the muffler shop guys. Unless a guy is damned good at cutting and fitting pieces together to get the right bends in the right places most home done exhaust ends up looking pretty well cobbled together and could always be a lot better. At least my cut and fit and weld together exhaust have been that way.

Years ago I even went so far as to go to the muffler shop I had worked at previously and scavenge the mistakes (new pipe bent wrong) out of the scrap bin to have usable bends to cut and weld into what I was trying to build and used them. It was better than used pipe but still not anything I would want to show anyone.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
Donaldo

''" 3 inch sounds a bit big and hard to work with when you are trying to do it yourself at home. Then you get into the is it going to dump in front of the rear wheel or behind it or out under the rear bumper. ""

The bends and angles and hangers are fit and tacked, just have to finish the tig welding and make that final decision as to where to chop off the tailpipe. Hoping to see some pics of what others have done for perspective. Am thinking about ending it just 3/8" under and 1 inch past the rear bumper.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Donaldo

The 3" is a PIA for sure, it's .071 wall stainless and I couldn't find anyone who could mandrel bend it within 120 miles - so I bought some 45' angles and some straight lengths and did what I could. SBC with ramshorn manifolds exit at 2 1/2" down and back to a dual in 26" magnaflow, muffler single exhaust is 3". Hope the neighbors don't mind.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:49 AM   #5
oldman3

I normally work with the 2-1/2" stuff, I buy mandel bent 45, 90 and 180 to make up my exhaust. Here's a couple pics of my system on my AD and 1 showing the back part on Jimbo's 67 for reference, hope this helps...Jim
Attached Images

oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
1project2many

Donaldo, this is so subjective. I searched 50 chevy pickup exhaust in google images and found several pictures. I like either a simple straight exit with a roughly 45 degree cut or an angled dump toward the ground before the bumper.

Quote:
Years ago I even went so far as to go to the muffler shop I had worked at previously and scavenge the mistakes (new pipe bent wrong) out of the scrap bin to have usable bends to cut and weld into what I was trying to build and used them. It was better than used pipe but still not anything I would want to show anyone.
I did the same thing, except that I took the pieced together exhaust back to the exhaust shop so they could bend pipes from my model. That worked great and looked very professional.

Oldman3, that systems looks nice. Where do you source the bends? Every time I look at mandrel bends the cost of the exhaust winds up higher than if I just drop it at the exhaust shop.

Last edited by 1project2many; 11-30-2014 at 11:36 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Donaldo

""I searched 50 chevy pickup exhaust in google images""

I looked there also - not many pics from the angle I was looking for. Probably going to go with a straight cut just rear of the bumper.

No suppliers here in malfunction junction - driving all over CA isn't time or cost effective either - so the best I could find was on ebay w/free delivery - 'wholesaleautopartsexpress'

Old 11-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #8
oldman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Oldman3, that systems looks nice. Where do you source the bends? Every time I look at mandrel bends the cost of the exhaust winds up higher than if I just drop it at the exhaust shop.
I use to get my stuff from J.C. Whitney, before they changed to high cost stuff. I have use Speedway kits and they work good. Hope this link works http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mild-S...nch,36340.html ...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
wood1

Not the best pictures but may help??
Attached Images

wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote