The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
WhiteWhale

1972 K20 Endangered species rescue thread

Now that I am waist deep in getting her back on the road I thought I would start my own build thread.

A little history on the White Whale, picked up the burb 16 years ago off of craigs list for $3500, apparently donated by the original owner to charity program. Still wearing its original paint and was running but had a rod knock, has all 3 seats and for the most part looked unmolested. Unfortunately the PO kept the perfect brown steering wheel, hubcaps and chrome bumpers. I didnt know this at the time of purchase but a few weeks later they came up for sale on CL. When I called he gave me the address and I recognized the same shop. I did not want to pay the $500 asking price but looking back I should have since I have not been able to find any comparable parts for reasonable prices since.

Took out the seats to start cleaning the OG floor mats, any recommendations that wont take the original tan coloring off?

Ill keep the wooden knob, just wish they didnt cut the OG panels for those crappy speakers!

Engine and trans are out and a crate 350 in on the way. Trans should be done in a few days, ended up staying with the TH350 and had towing upgrades done (extra clutches, HD sprag, HD drum, upgraded bands, seals, bushings, shift kit and cast deep sump), just wondering what converter I should go with. The shop recommends a 2500 rpm stall while Ive read about ones with as low as 1500 for increased mpg. Anyone have any input?

Working on brakes which Oreily surprisingly had in stock (Booster, MC, calipers, pads, rotors), and front bearings which I just ordered from Autozone. The axle is a 1st series so not sure if I should look into upgrading the tapered axles and smaller u joints to later model stuff.

Will keep updates
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote