The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #26
The Gibster

Re: 1972 Jimmy 4x4-Hillbilly Budget Build

mcmlxix, I just checked your build thread and all I can say is wow...im jealous
Old 12-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #27
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gibster View Post
Poly Performance has some awesome stuff! I haven't had the opportunity to work with them yet but I hear their customer service is top notch. Thanks, these are the new 2.0 performance series with 14.1" of travel. I am putting on the rear. what are your plans for the front towers? I was thinking of the ford f250 shock towers...I just would hate to put ford parts on a chevy.
I have a guy in town that will waterjet anything I can think of.. I will probably design some towers that can bolt to the frame rails. It's a tight fit to keep the inner fenders without cutting and clear the steering shaft... Also the D60 I got didn't have any shock mounts, so I'm going to mount them on top of the axle...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #28
The Gibster

I haven't been home much lately but I have been able to get some work done here and there.
I had a couple of engines laying around so I was able to piece together a decent one. Its a 350 with 4 bolt mains, flat top pistons, edelbrock performer intake, summit 1103 cam, camel hump heads and the stock carb for now.

I also purchased some 37" Goodyear MTR HMMWV takeoffs.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:26 AM   #29
The Gibster

Been a while since I updated this thread but I have not been slacking on the work! I pulled the front end off again to finish up the front suspension and put in the engine.

I cut F250 shock towers and welded/bolted them on to fit the extended shocks. I was a little disappointed with how much droop the Superlift softrides had at full bump, we will see how it handles...

Engine in!!

Engine build ended up being flat top pistons, summit 1103 cam and lifters, camel hump heads, edelbrock performer intake, holley 670 truck avenger and summit headers.

<br>
I ended up putting in a 1" zero rate to recenter the rear axle from the shackle flip and 63's. I am really happy with the height/tire combo and should be ok off road.

The truck is now registered/insured and I recently drove it for the first time ever. I was surprised with how healthy the engine turned out! The ride seems pretty smooth so far but it wanders like crazy. Next on the list is to put on side mirrors, get an alignment/fix wander, rhino line the cab and roof, and enjoy it!

How bad does everyone else's truck wander around 55mph? is it normal?

Last edited by The Gibster; 02-10-2014 at 05:41 AM.
The Gibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #30
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Its coming along nice. Looks good. You got the stance good. Congrats on driving it. As for the wandering, it's not normal to wander all over. Not unusual for a little bit, but it probably needs more caster angle and the toe in my be off a bit. The alignment should help.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote