The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2022, 07:58 PM   #1
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Super alternative tinkering for a GM truck forum, but IDC. I'm familiar with how this forum works and I like how it's monitored. Much less BS than most other forums. I can get a bit long winded but I like telling my story, so dig in...

Like so many men of a certain age, the Cobra is my ultimate car. It was created a few years before I was born but even into the 70's and 80's it was iconic. Maybe more so now than ever. I've read piles of articles and books about the car and it's creator, Shelby. I've oggled the cars (kits and originals) at shows. Watched the videos and movies. Named my first born Shelby, you get the idea, I've been smitten since my Jr High days. I can remember the story I read in Hot Rod at the school library. I went every month to check out the newest issue. There was a shootout between a collection of various cars for a 0-100mph-0 competition. I believe there was some european exotic car and some built up muscle cars and a cobra, which was the clear winner, doing it in like 12.3 seconds IIRC.

It's always been the "someday" project I never let go of. So here we are some 40ish years later and making the dreams a reality. I actually bought the kit in 2017, after the fall out from a divorce and losing my job of all things! You might think that's bassackwards but here's how it happened, and it wasn't what you would call the mid-life crisis either. As I said, went through a divorce around 2014, and was already starting a relationship with wife #2, who is incredible BTW. Less than a year later I was laid off from work, right after buying a house and moving, but before the old house was sold. I was buried in debt but things had been improving after the divorce settlement except for making 2 house payments. I did get a severance package but it was a lump sum right at the end of 2015. My taxes were really going to be a mess for a couple years so planning ahead I put a big chunk of the severance
in the bank for when the taxman came knocking. A new job came reasonably quick, life moved on, the old house sold the next year, and I spent another pile of money and used virtually every penny of my credit fixing up the new place. So now I'm in early 2017, I'm on the email list from factory five, as I have been for years and they send out a promotion sale on their kits. A limited number of kits being sold for the price from like 20 years before, a huge savings. It was tax time again and this was the year when it would all get sorted out after 2 years of financial disaster. I literally laid in bed thinking about it for hours that night.

Wife #2 grew up in a family that owned a body shop and cars came and went on a continuous basis, so she didn't have any issues with my projects. But it was still a huge thing for me to approach her about doing this. I've never had the money to even bother before but at this moment, things were falling together. It came down to those damn taxes. The wife said, it's your money, do what you want with it. That next weekend I became a tax accountant and the final tally came out to be much less than I anticipated. I was earning a bonus from work also. The money was there!

For those of you interested in getting a kit car, here's a brief explanation of how it works with factory five. You order your kit, selecting the options you want and picking how you receive your kit. It can be shipped and they have a very good company set up to deliver your kit for a reasonable cost. Or you can pick it up yourself from the plant in Wareham, MA. You can choose the delivery date also, which was key for me. Having never spent this kind of money on a toy for myself before I was nervous, so I put my delivery date out to June, which gave me time to let it sink in and if I got too scared or some bad luck hit me in the wallet I could back out. When you put in your order you pay about 10% down payment. If you back out more than a few weeks before the delivery date you lose a couple hundred bucks and get refunded the rest. It was an acceptable risk for me and I placed my order.

Summer of 2017 comes and I'm planning the trip to get my car from MA to MN. I've never been to new England so it became my summer vacation road trip. My son was able to go with and we had a great time driving out east, stopping along the way to play tourist. Went to the rock n roll HOF, Niagara Falls, Indianapolis Raceway, National Motorcycle museum and through as many states as we could along the route. It was a great trip. We got home the day before my birthday. That's how you turn 50!

A couple weeks later the paperwork shows up from factory five with the ser# plate and and certificate for the kit and the build date was actually listed on it as my birthday! Kismet? Karma? Don't know, don't care. I was happy with all aspects of my life and that can be a rare thing.

So here we are almost 5 years later and I haven't touched my kit. Many people would be scratching their head at that. Waiting for so long to fulfill the fantasy and then... nothing. I had reasons. Several in fact but I can be a patient man. I was still doing major work to the new house, I had other existing project vehicles in various states of progress, the kit is just a part of the puzzle to building a complete car. A lot of things needed to happen to free up time, space, money for me to plunge in. I had waited this long I could wait a while longer.

Sometime around 2018 I found a donor car for some of the major parts needed. A 1998 mustang GT with a 5.3 LS and TH400 tranny a guy was using as a drag car. That isn't the drivetrain I had planned to use though. Neither was the stock 4.6 modular ford it would have had. I wanted the coyote 5.0.

A month or so ago I decided I was going to set some money aside to get the engine and transmission and the hunt was on. I'm not a rich guy, I couldn't afford the nice crate motor set ups. I need to piece stuff together, find deals, scrounge and scroll and google to find what I need for as little cost as possible. I'll do the dirty work and fix things if that's what it takes.

The engine. Since this is a GM related site not everyone is going to be familiar with the Ford products. They came out with the new 5.0 coyote in 2010 and it went into the 2011 model year Mustangs and F150's and probably a few other things. The 1st generation was a decent motor with the truck putting out 360 hp and the mustang around 415-420 I think. It has a slightly better intake cam, half a point higher compression, different intake and better tuning. The 2nd generation had more power for both platforms due to slightly larger valves and 1mm more valve lift, better flowing ports on the heads and a new intake. This is what I would have preferred to use but that's not what I found. The mustang engines run about twice as much as the truck engines. More power and less available to get. I got a 1st gen truck engine with what I was told was a cracked head.

I've been reading up on the performance options and let's just say that they are significantly limited compared to the LS platform. Not that they aren't a good motor, the OEM heads are actually really good. And with 4 valves/cylinder and quad cams it's expensive to make a cam swap. My engine needed to be tore down to see what damage there was, if any. Right now I'm thinking there isn't any but the machine shop will let me know this week. I can replace with a used head if needed. For about $300 I can buy the ford mustang intake cams which is far cheaper than the $1800 for a set of Comp Cams. I could also buy 2nd gen heads as an upgrade if there is indeed a crack found. Decisions decisions.

The transmission. Ford didn't use very many suitable manual transmissions. Just a fact. The earlier 80s-90's trannys were good but only rated up to about 360 ft-lbs because that's what the engines would produce. There was also the shifter placement to consider. The latest mustangs used a gertrag M-82 transmission which has mixed reviews. It can have issues that were bad enough that Ford has been sued about it and the shifter placement isn't ideal either. The best factory option was the TR-6060 used in the 2003-4 Mustang GT-500. But even that one is somewhat power limited. It was behind the 4.6 4 valve motor which was good but not as powerful as the newer coyote. It could be upgraded by replacing the 10 spline input shaft to a 26 spline for a reasonable cost. And the TR3650 tranny they used could also be upgraded but it basically would cost similar to buying a new tremec tkx, which replaced the earlier TKO500/600 a year or so ago. BTW, the package deal for the new TKX with bellhousing, clutch, flywheel etc would set me back over $4400.

Last week on ebay I found a couple used TR-6060s and one used TKO600. All around the $2500 mark plus or minus. The best deal was on the TKO because it was the best price and needed the least amount of work to fit and be strong enough. I made an offer and it was delivered today. Still need everything else to go between it and the engine so the scrounging continues.

The plan is to start building this spring/summer. I've got the space and the major components. I'm far enough along on the other projects that I can make time for this one. Sorry for the long read, well not really. Like my other build threads I use this like a blog or diary to track my progress and share the story as much as the actual tinkering. There's a few cobra kit car forums I could have used but I like the idea of being outside of that instead of just another one of the many doing the same thing.

I hope you enjoy this.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:27 PM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

More pics. Getting it home, the donor car, bringing the engine home and the transmission.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2022, 08:32 PM   #3
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Engine tear down. To remove those giant heads from the tiny block the front timing chain cover has to come off, which means the oil pan comes off then finally the heads, after cam removal so you can get to the bolts. The heads are not interchangeable either, there's a right and left head. Even the cams are different from side to side.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2022, 11:01 AM   #4
jaros44sr

Good read, man, did you struggle thru adversity or what, good job coming through it with your head on straight

That has been my dream car for years like you, I'll follow along

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 01:01 AM   #5
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Finally got word about my heads. No cracks but they had some problems with a leak down test. Which is probably why the engine was sold with them thinking it was cracked. The machinist thinks maybe just a valve job and will tear them down to check out the valves, etc. He said there could be bent valves or possibly tuliped valves. That the engine may have been run hot.

So mixed news. Not cracked which is good but not exactly right either and will still cost me to repair them. So a valve job, resurfacing, new springs. Hopefully not a bunch of bent valves. If there's a bunch I'll probably use the larger valves from the 2nd gen coyote. I do plan on getting the mustang intake cams for sure, now that I know I'm not buying new heads.

Couple other things to research, the 1st gen truck engines had oil squirters for cooling the pistons which was later removed because they found it wasn't needed. I want to see if I can or should remove mine. There's a change with the oil pump from the mustang also. I should check the bearing condition. Make sure there's no bad wear. I really didn't plan on a full rebuild but don't want to waste time and money taking it apart again after rebuilding the top end if it's got low oil pressure.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:39 AM   #6
72gmguy

Always thought I would get a cobra kit back when it was popular to use a fox body with the original 5.0. Never did it. Too much life got in the way. I wish you luck and look forward to watching. Have fun!

1969 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1971 Blazer partial 2wd convert
1972 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1970 Blazer 4x4 w/ 2 1/2in lift and 33in tires w/4 wheel camper
1970 4x4 suburban w/ 6in lift and 35in tires
1968 Corvette convertible
1970 Malibu convertible
1959 Brookwood wagon
1972 International Scout ii
72gmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:41 AM   #7
Rickysnickers

Nice. If I could sell my truck, I'd get an FFR as well. I've always wanted one. Good luck on your build.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 07:54 PM   #8
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmguy View Post
Always thought I would get a cobra kit back when it was popular to use a fox body with the original 5.0. Never did it. Too much life got in the way. I wish you luck and look forward to watching. Have fun!
You can still build a kit that way. Many people opt for the complete kit though and not use a donor at all. Just buy the engine/transmission combo you want, get an axle from the junkyard or new and start assembling it.

Today was the first time I actually did something towards building my car other than buying parts. The rear mount needs to be cut off the transmission, which is a little unnerving to do on a $2500 transmission. Also checked out one of the rod bearings to make sure they are ok, it looked like new. So that's good.

Yesterday I ordered a bellhousing, shallow oil pan and starter. Today I ordered a clutch and flywheel. There's a few other odds and ends to get the clutch bolted up and working but the main components are on the way. I think the next main parts to get are the radiator and fans. They are missing from my donor mustang. Also need the alternator set up and I need to decide what I'm doing for steering and brakes. Most cobra owners think you need power steering. Several have added it after building the car without it. Another factor is the donor car uses hydro boost brakes which requires a power steering pump to work. So with all that in mind I'll have to get a power steering pump set up to fit the coyote. I believe it's only aftermarket or through Ford performance for swaps because all the coyote powered vehicles vehicles have electric power assist steering.

There are kits available for using electric assist steering on the cobra but I don't think it will work on one with the coyote engine, ironically, due to clearance issues.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2022, 06:51 PM   #9
Keith Seymore

I heartily endorse your project, and I'll be following along -

- But -

promise me you will be careful.

I had a family friend get killed while test driving a Cobra he was building. It got away from him and he went through a split rail fence and died on the scene. My buddy that was riding with him emerged unscathed physically but is still messed up mentally from it.

I need to mention - this guy was no slouch. He was a locally reknown racer and race car builder so that made it even more surprising and terrifying.

So - let's be careful out there.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:02 PM   #10
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I heartily endorse your project, and I'll be following along -

- But -

promise me you will be careful.

I had a family friend get killed while test driving a Cobra he was building. It got away from him and he went through a split rail fence and died on the scene. My buddy that was riding with him emerged unscathed physically but is still messed up mentally from it.

I need to mention - this guy was no slouch. He was a locally reknown racer and race car builder so that made it even more surprising and terrifying.

So - let's be careful out there.

K
Oh I hear you and fully understand. I see a lot of builds going on by guys in there 50's and 60's who have NEVER handled high HP in ANY car and since this is their dream they are going balls out with turbos, superchargers, etc. and the reality is a stock 302 sbf would scare the crap out of them in a 2200 lb car. They will end up not driving it and selling it. My 2017 Camaro SS is crazy fast and beyond my abilities to drive it to it's potential. This will have about a 50% higher HP to weight ratio.

Sorry about your friend. I'll try not to add to the death toll. I'm really hoping that I love it and it's not one of those "Don't meet your heroes" scenarios.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:01 PM   #11
LS short box

We have a 14 Mustang GT 5.0/6 speed combo. Great engine. Stock shifter sucks. Going to upgrade to a Barton.
I'm not at all familiar with the 4.6 engines but did they have a problem with the spark plugs not having enough thread engagement in the cylinder head?
Good luck with your project.
I'm guessing you will have ready it for the summer nationals in a St.Paul in July?
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:10 PM   #12
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
We have a 14 Mustang GT 5.0/6 speed combo. Great engine. Stock shifter sucks. Going to upgrade to a Barton.
I'm not at all familiar with the 4.6 engines but did they have a problem with the spark plugs not having enough thread engagement in the cylinder head?
Good luck with your project.
I'm guessing you will have ready it for the summer nationals in a St.Paul in July?
Yeah right.

I'm optimistically thinking I could drive it before next winter. I really hate setting timeline goals and don't consider this to be one, but I should have all the parts needed by early summer.

I know the earlier mod engines like the 5.4 in trucks would blow out plugs. I haven't heard that with the coyotes though. Good luck with yours!
Old 03-01-2022, 06:40 PM   #13
LS short box

Sorry I thought you were doing a 4.6.
You will like the 5.0 a lot.
I'm a big time LS guy but I like the 5.0 a lot.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:57 AM   #14
Low Elco

Glad you're finally getting rolling. Excited for you to see where this goes.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:39 PM   #15
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Sorry I thought you were doing a 4.6.
You will like the 5.0 a lot.
I'm a big time LS guy but I like the 5.0 a lot.
I figured. I'm still waiting for the machinist to let me know what parts I'll need, if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Glad you're finally getting rolling. Excited for you to see where this goes.
I'm excited and anxious at the same time. The damage done to my checking account the last month or so is no joke. The bellhousing showed up the other day. The flywheel and clutch parts should be here soon. Then I need to find the bolts to put it all together. And decide on a cable or hydraulic clutch. Cable is simpler.

I'd love to show progress pics, they don't exist. Lol. I need to move the chassis into the 3 car garage where the heat and tools are. The parts car is in the back corner of the shed. It's still winter here folks. Ice and snow all over.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:17 PM   #16
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Remember the old Joan Jett song, bits and pieces? That's what building a kit car is.

This week was delivery of the flywheel, clutch, starter and oil pan. Waiting for delivery of the pressure plate bolts. The bellhousing is bolted to the transmission. I'm working on the oil pickup tube. I figured I can save some money modifying the stock one to fit the shallow pan. I need a different style of screened pickup for the end and can get one for about $15. The one made for this oil pan is $120.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2022, 06:46 PM   #17
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Oil pan
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2022, 08:58 PM   #18
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Not great news. Heads were ok but the valves are shot. I could use the larger next generation ones but might have clearance issues on the pistons. And they cost more. Stock replacements run about $7-8.50/valve. Stainless replacement is about $21-22.50/valve. Yikes.

The machinist said I should check the rings for tension. I'm of the opinion that if I pull the pistons from a 100k mile motor then $80 for new rings should be done. And a quick hone. I don't know. It's frustrating.

Keep on keeping on right?
Old 03-11-2022, 12:09 AM   #19
gottattooz

One problem at a time. You'll get there.

I'm borderline jealous of your build. I have my eye on a Shelby Daytona coupe kit from factory five racing. Until I can pull the trigger on it, I'll just have to live vicariously through your progress.

-Josh
2017 Suzuki M109R
gottattooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:32 AM   #20
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Build a hotrod, itll be fun they say.!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:16 AM   #21
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I'm very happy for you! I was stoked when you went to get it! I'm in to watch the build and in for some dang rides! I also have longed for a Shelby since I was a wee lad. I still have my Exotic car cards and have duplicates of the blue Cobra because I just loved them. I remember reading a Popular Mechanics magazine in the early 90's talking about how Shelby had 90 or 100 bodies he never sold of the 67 bodies. They were building frames and selling the cars then. I don't remember the price but I wished I could get an original then and polish the body. Too bad I didn't even have a license at that time. Haha

Great work and part research. It is going to be so fun to drive. The last time we went to the Lake of the Ozarks I kept seeing this beautiful maroon and silver Cobra driving around. One day we drove by an ice cream shop so I whipped in and was checking it out. It had 427 badges on it and a cover over the passenger seat area. I said out loud to my son, "Aww man, too bad there's no passenger seat." I was joking but the owner was eating his sundae under an awning and piped up and said there sure is. I spoke with him for a long while. It had true knock off wheels, a real 427 side oiler with dual quads, a shelby modified ford top loader 4 speed, and he took me for a ride. This was one of the 90s built bodied cars. It was a tight fit for my 6'2" self but I don't care. I'd be cramped to own and drive that thing. They are just so iconic and the lines/curves are just so dang intoxicating IMO.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:49 AM   #22
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
One problem at a time. You'll get there.

I'm borderline jealous of your build. I have my eye on a Shelby Daytona coupe kit from factory five racing. Until I can pull the trigger on it, I'll just have to live vicariously through your progress.

-Josh
If you're a bigger guy like me, you might want to see if you can fit in it before pulling that trigger. They can be a tight squeeze. I know for sure I can't fit easily into their GT40 replica (the GTM). There was one on the showroom floor when I picked up my kit. I had thought about building one of them also until that moment. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Build a hotrod, itll be fun they say.!
Very rewarding, for all parts manufacturers and retailers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I'm very happy for you! I was stoked when you went to get it! I'm in to watch the build and in for some dang rides! I also have longed for a Shelby since I was a wee lad. I still have my Exotic car cards and have duplicates of the blue Cobra because I just loved them. I remember reading a Popular Mechanics magazine in the early 90's talking about how Shelby had 90 or 100 bodies he never sold of the 67 bodies. They were building frames and selling the cars then. I don't remember the price but I wished I could get an original then and polish the body. Too bad I didn't even have a license at that time. Haha

Great work and part research. It is going to be so fun to drive. The last time we went to the Lake of the Ozarks I kept seeing this beautiful maroon and silver Cobra driving around. One day we drove by an ice cream shop so I whipped in and was checking it out. It had 427 badges on it and a cover over the passenger seat area. I said out loud to my son, "Aww man, too bad there's no passenger seat." I was joking but the owner was eating his sundae under an awning and piped up and said there sure is. I spoke with him for a long while. It had true knock off wheels, a real 427 side oiler with dual quads, a shelby modified ford top loader 4 speed, and he took me for a ride. This was one of the 90s built bodied cars. It was a tight fit for my 6'2" self but I don't care. I'd be cramped to own and drive that thing. They are just so iconic and the lines/curves are just so dang intoxicating IMO.
You're a step beyond my experience then. I've seen more than a few but haven't been on a ride. I met a guy recently to get the body buck to hold the body while I build the chassis that has completed his car. I'm sure he'd give me a ride once it warms up. His build is very similar to mine except the rear suspension. I think he ordered one of the better options, the 3 link or IRS. I'm just using the 4 link.

At least winter is finally coming to an end around here. Well not today. It's only getting into the teens today with below zero windchills. But 50ish by Sunday and most of next week. Maybe get the tractor running and start moving crap around so I can actually wrench on things.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:49 AM   #23
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
and he took me for a ride.
That was very nice and super cool!!!
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:51 PM   #24
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Ordered new mustang intake cams, Boss 302 valve springs, felpro gasket set, oil pickup tube that I'm hoping I can adapt to my original to fit the shallow pan, timing chain replacement parts. Not the valves yet. Trying to decide if I want to spend the extra money for stainless valves and waiting to hear from the machinist on his price for valves.

I know, boring so far. Just buying parts mostly. Here's a pic for attention.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2022, 05:04 PM   #25
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I pulled out 1 piston. The rings seem fine to me but I'm going to get a second or third opinion. There's no significant wear at the top of the bore. There is an edge at the bottom though. Posted a pic of that. I didn't measure ring gap yet. The piston skirt looked alright, minimal wear. There was a scratch in the bearing surface from a piece of grit rolling through. Not enough to worry about and not wore down.

I know I can just reassemble and send it but it's just nagging me enough that the "might-as-wells" bug is itching, which usually costs me money.

Posting a pic of my coyote piston next to a 350 sbc piston. It's almost like a motorcycle to car comparison. Now you can see why these things can rev to the moon and with 4 valves per cylinder on giant heads they can breathe and make some power.

And a shot of my winter wrapped shop from today. It's 12f with minus something windchill. One of the reasons vice grip garage is now based out of Tennessee.
Attached Images