The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2022, 06:22 AM   #1
bennylava

Re: What's the seat cover to have these days?

Anybody tried the Holley brand ones?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h.../r10/year/1987
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:40 AM   #2
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
Anybody tried the Holley brand ones?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h.../r10/year/1987
The other thing I don’t like about these aftermarket covers, is this generic thing that they put on the cover in place of the original seatbelt bezels. Most of the aftermarket covers don’t always fit like they should since they are mass produced. They are more concerned about making as many as they can versus quality.
Here are some pictures of the generic things they use for the seatbelt holes and the OEM seat belt bezels.
The rest of the pics are what I call poor quality & poor sewing techniques. This is what I mean when the cover will not fit right. I’ve tried everything out there, and hands down, the only one I would recommend is USA1. I have had them all physically in my hands, and installed every one of them on seats. Trust me when I say, I can see & feel the difference in quality from all these other places versus the ones from USA1.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 08-15-2022 at 09:56 AM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:56 PM   #3
bennylava

Funny you should say that, I actually noticed the same problem when looking at USA1's covers. Take a look at the pick they posted of their cover, when you click on the cloth and vinyl seat cover:

https://www.usa1interiors.com/1981-8...ntal-band.html

You may have to click the tan one to see it better, but there at the top you can clearly see the same problem you're pointing to in those images. This is the reason I've decided to just make my own, and probably why auto upholstery shops are actually the best bet for maximum quality. My old worn out cover from 1987 doesn't have that problem.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:20 PM   #4
TKCR

I’ve never had any issues with the USA1 covers doing that. Here are a few that have come from them.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2022, 07:15 AM   #5
bennylava

But do you have evidence that the Holley branded ones do that? USA1 is aftermarket too. That's why I was asking if anyone had tried Holley covers. It's pretty well established that the LMC covers don't last, but there might be a few others out there that are made well enough.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #6
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
But do you have evidence that the Holley branded ones do that? USA1 is aftermarket too. That's why I was asking if anyone had tried Holley covers. It's pretty well established that the LMC covers don't last, but there might be a few others out there that are made well enough.
That would be this one. I’ve tried them all, I’ve been doing seats for quite awhile now. And in the beginning I started out trying out all these places that sold covers. And also use several local upholstery shops. I was disappointed in every one of them.
Yes your correct by saying that USA1 is aftermarket, but at least they don’t sew that dumb generic thing on the covers to replace the original seat belt Bezel. And their backing materials are far thicker and better quality than the rest. I can attest to that because I have had all of them in my hands. It’s like comparing a Cadillac to a Chevette. Some people are ok with a Chevette, and that’s their choice.
(I have literally had both, and I would take the Cadillac any day over a Chevette)
And I’m saying this on the the seat cover level, and in the “literal sense”.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2022, 12:09 PM   #7
bennylava

Speaking of those seat belt guides, do you happen to know how to get those things out? Looks like they're kind of pressed together somehow. The two that are in the factory seat cover. I believe I can get them out, but not without mangling them