The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #1
Roberty
Hot Damn - Here I Am!!

Updating to power disks, PS, 5 lug, auto questions

A guy I know is wanting to update and restore his '66 from the usual 3 speed on the column, 6 banger, power nothing truck. He would like to upgrade to a V8 with turbo 350 trans and power disk brakes up front along with a 5 lug rear. What donor truck/trucks would be his best bet. It's got coil springs all around so I'm guessing a '71 or '72 Chevy rear end there. I have a 1978 Chevy truck I'm parting out that has power disk brakes, power steering, and a turbo 350 trans. With the exception of the rear end (leaf vs. coil) will the rest of the stuff off my '78 work easily to convert/upgrade him? I know the '67 + trucks pretty well but am lost on the '66 and earlier trucks as far as upgrading goes.

Thanks in advance,
Robert
'70 C-10 - My Grandfather bought it new - original un-restored
Roberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:08 AM   #2
Frizzle Fry

Yep, your 78 front cross member will practically bolt right in. He'll need power steering brackets. The pb booster and master cylinder can be made to work. The rear; 71-72 will work. I thought springs were also available on 73+? If so I would think that would be another option. He'll need an auto tranny cross member too and a different driveshaft. Your 78 is almost a perfect donor for what he wants to do.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote