The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
llegos

Battery gauge

Hey everyone, i dunno if any remember me(and thats not important), i havent been around in quite a while. Anyhow, i just replaced my old gauges with a new set from chevy duty(integrated tach). On my old gauges, the battery meter did not work properly(i dont think) the needle pretty much sat in the middle, maybe a slight bit towards the 'C'. Since then, i have replaced the alternator, the voltage regulator, and of course the gauges. A few times, the truck has been discharged completely, but i had always done stupid stuff light leave the lights on or the radio while its off, so that might have somethign to do with it. I have run a voltage test an seen that there are ~14 volts coming from the alternator, and now I dont know where else to look on why its not charging properly. Any insight on this issue?

Thanks a lot,
Steve
Old 10-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

Re: Battery gauge

If your amp gauge is not working properly check for the two fuses in line in the wiring harness in front of the radiator. There should be one on each side of the radiator. They are inclosed in a small rubber plug about 3/4 of an inch long. They are only a 1 or 2 amp fuse I think. Sorry I don't have a picture available to show you. Maybe someone else does.
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
llegos

thanks a lot man. I replaced both the fuses(both were bad). where should the needle sit under normal conditions?
Old 10-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
llegos

ok i just realized from my own stupidity that it should go back to the center after whats used from the starter is charged back up again and that everything is fine....

thanks a lot,oldiron. I also just realized this is in the suburban forum and i have a 1/2 ton pickup
Old 05-13-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
beanious

Thanks for the article guys... I recently bought a '71 C10 and am working through 37 years of bugs and problems and this was on my list... The two fuses that I replaced were SFE 4AMP's. One of them was broke and I had to pry it out with a knife blade. Got it out and it works great now. Thanks again for the help guys. This forum is awesome!!!

Last edited by beanious; 05-13-2008 at 05:27 AM.
beanious is offline   Reply With Quote