The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
cornerstone

Gen 5 harness availability?

I recently lucked out in my search for a drivetrain to use for my 72 C-10. It's from a 2014 silverado which uses a very different harness apparently. The few reputable companies I have looked into for a new harness don't have it available for several months. That's really not a problem since I won't be ready for it til then anyways but you know how it is when you get the "wants". Have any of y'all been able to buy one yet?
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
Hart_Rod

Re: Gen 5 harness availability?

Speartech is the only one that I know of.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:52 PM   #3
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Speartech is the only one that I know of.
Thanks man. I went to the site and did find an available system starting at 1250. and I would need to have the computer reprogrammed so that would add a considerable amount more. I'm confident that the quality would be there but since I do have time I will just keep shopping and maybe the price will drop as more companies come out with it.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
68c10airstream

A 2014 silverado has a cam driven ultra high pressure fuel pump (output can reach 2700 psi) and you would have the latest can bus system that i believe is different than prior can bus systems. I can see the costs staying up there for a while, but with this high fuel pressure in the future i feel you will get better mileage. You still need a pump in/near the tank no matter what system you go with. The current generation of 5.3's are 355 horse power, and i believe 10 plus to 1 compresssion. These specs would be equivalent to a 6.0 from early 2000's and you can be quaranteed the mileage is better on the newer 5.3. My mileage comments will probably get shot down with gas at $2.50 a gallon now, but i bet it will be commented on if we get back to $4.00 or more a gallon.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
cableguy0

These new engines still scare me a bit. My brother bought a 2014 and between the recalls, electronic issues and the engine randomly starting to drink coolant he traded the truck in with 12k miles on it. I know quite a few people that bought 2014's and are tired of all the recalls. The only issue you would have is the complete lack of warranty if you have an issue. Don't get me wrong they are a sweet engine and run ridiculously good but its all brand new stuff. Also be very aware of fuel quality issues. These engines are direct injected and I believe 11.5-1 compression. The truck my brother had used a fuel quality sensor and would cut the power back if it didn't like fuel. There was also a recall on the transmission itself. Apparently they forgot to tighten some bolts during assembly on almost all of them and they were falling apart.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
These new engines still scare me a bit. My brother bought a 2014 and between the recalls, electronic issues and the engine randomly starting to drink coolant he traded the truck in with 12k miles on it. I know quite a few people that bought 2014's and are tired of all the recalls. The only issue you would have is the complete lack of warranty if you have an issue. Don't get me wrong they are a sweet engine and run ridiculously good but its all brand new stuff. Also be very aware of fuel quality issues. These engines are direct injected and I believe 11.5-1 compression. The truck my brother had used a fuel quality sensor and would cut the power back if it didn't like fuel. There was also a recall on the transmission itself. Apparently they forgot to tighten some bolts during assembly on almost all of them and they were falling apart.
Yes... I've been a bit concerned myself... I might throw it back up for sale. The main reason I want an ls powered 72 is reliability, and now I have other issues to contend with along with higher costs on harness, fuel system and who knows what else. I do like the factory HP/TQ numbers but those are easily attainable with only a cam swap. Plus I don't think it looks as cool as the older ones. I'm gonna give it some time and stew on it while I get the body and cab off... Thanks for the comments
Brian