The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2003, 05:22 PM   #1
my 85 gmc

Question Changing to a non-ESC distributer?

I was reading an article in Swervin Ervin's website titled "changing to a non-ESC distributer at the bottom of this article it tells how to bypass the ESC part of the ESC distributer.

Has anyone tried this modification?

My truck has a 305 LE9 engine and I plan to change the camshaft and intake this winter and don't know if I want the computer changing the timing advances on my truck.

The reason I'am asking about this modification along with a recurve of the current dist seems cheaper and can be reversed if spark knock is noticed, since a new non-ESC dist is at least $200 and might not work on this engine.

Thanks Rob

Also I always run 92 octane gasoline.

my 85 gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:27 PM   #2
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Re: Changing to a non-ESC distributer?

Quote:
Originally posted by my 85 gmc
since a new non-ESC dist is at least $200 and might not work on this engine.
I've seen some non ESC distributors available for around $120 brand new (US $) in Summit, Jegs and the like. A used HEI can be bought from a wrecking yard and rebuilt for less. Why might one of those distributors not work on your engine?

In the end they become functionally the same, the ones that are non ESC in the first place just make for a cleaner installation.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:53 PM   #3
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

I had ESC in my truck, (82 305/700r4) all I did was un plug it and I put in a dist. from a '79 350, it's worked great for 3 years now.

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:07 PM   #4
my 85 gmc

Changing to a non-ESC disttributer?

I just want to try this modification since I already have a Crane Advance Kit if it works I will change to a new HEI(non esc) distributer, but if it does not work I don't want to be stuck with a new part that is useless.
My only concern is some people say these engine's will spark knock badly without the ESC.
Keep the opinions coming guy's!

Thanks Rob

my 85 gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:28 PM   #5
PHOENIX

I went from the stock ESC distributor to a Proform dist. It was about $150 at a local shop. I left the "computer" behind the glove box and just disconnected the wire, its still just sitting there, Ill fix that later. Anyway I have had this dist. for a couple years now and everything is great. I ahve replaced one module and coil. The coil was probly good, but the module was for sure bad. I bought them both because I got stranded and the guy who gave me a ride to AutoZone, Im sure wouldnt want to make another trip, So I bought them both. Anyway no problem with switching and I have had good luck with the cheap Proform distr.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:44 PM   #6
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Cool

305s are pretty well known to ping. I would just get an older pre ESC distributor and have it rebuilt with new parts. I would also get an Adjustable Crane vacuum canister for it (you already have it). They should be able to setup a nice advance curve for you. The kit comes with different springs so that the advance curve can be tailored to your engine. That should be a pretty good help to prevent the detonation.

The ESC will retard the timing if it picks up any pinging that is detected by the knock sensor in the engine on the passenger side.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:14 PM   #7
PHOENIX

Ohh yeah I had a 305 in my truck with the esc distr. Then I put a 350 in. After a few months of having the 350 in my distr. starting acting really wierd, has nothing to do with the 350. But I bought a new one for the 350. So I couldnt tell you if a different distr. would cause pinging in your 305, but it wont in a 350. Atleats from my expeirence.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:56 PM   #8
vmax

hey guys when you did the esc change over were did you get your power supply from or was the power already there?

thanks,vmax
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:09 PM   #9
PHOENIX

Power Supply?

The esc just has a plug that come out of the firewall and plugs into the distributor. All you have to do is unplug that plug and put a new distr in, hook up the wires on the cap and your ready to go. The wires go into the firewall and into a "computer" behind the glove box. You can remove this too, and swervin has instructions on his site. CHECK THIS OUT:
http://www.73-87.com/garage/escrepl.htm

My bad, I forgot that you already read that .

Today on my lunch I noticed a truck in front of me (73-87), couldnt determine the exact year, I was behind him the entire time. Anyway he had a badge on his tail gate that said ESC readl big then under it, it said Electronic Spark Control. Anyone ever seen that badge before?

Last edited by PHOENIX; 01-29-2003 at 04:52 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote