The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
_Ogre

remote air compressor timer

i'm real bad about turning off the compressor, my compressor has spent the better part of 15 years on, even thou i have a note taped on the door: lights, heat, compressor. my compressor room is under the stairs, sort of out of sight, out of mind, when i am leaving thew shop

i have an x-10 remote off for the lights and stereo, i have a programmable thermostat to turn the heat down to 45*f every 4 hours and now i have a timer control on the compressor

i bought a 12 hr timer for $4 and a 30 amp definite purpose contactor for $14, both from ebay, both new. i threw the contactor into a 3 gang plastic box (still needs a cover) and have the timer on the other side of the wall. definite purpose contactors are cheap throw away magnetic starters designed for hvac applications. you can buy new contactor from home depot for $10 (found out after i bought mine), just make sure you get 120volt coil

my hose reel leaks as do all quick connects by nature of the beast, so i added a 1/2'' solenoid valve to the timer circuit and have zero leak down. as soon as the timer is turned i have air, timer off no air. adding the $25 solenoid valve doubled my cost of the install, but 2 days of no use and the pressure is still at 150 psi

enjoy
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote