The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Wscott9689

weird airbag problem

i just got finished putting air bags on my 68. when i raise it up from completely aired out, sometimes one side comes up before the other. sometimes its the drivers side, sometimes passenger, sometime its level. i have a standard 4 valve front/back setup with asco 3/8 valves and 1/4" line. the lines are the same length and everything is new, nothing mis matched or thrown together. it has dom 2600s all around with cucpped lca's, stock otherwise. i figured the way its setup the bags would equalize to each other but maybe im wrong. can anybody help?
thanks in advance, Wesley
Wscott9689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
broey
Square

Re: weird airbag problem

weight is a big factor, everything from where the fuel tank is to how many people are in it, or if your behind the wheel.. i know when I lift, the driver side is a tiny bit slower because its gotta lift me too.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Wscott9689

thats true. i cant remember if ive been in it evrytime or not. ill test it tonite when i get to the shop. thanks for the reply
Old 08-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Tony@AirRideTech

two way system ? Got a sway bar ?
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Slammed50

Sway bars make a huge difference. I had to put one in my '50 chevy for the same reason, especially when you make a turn. I am only running a two way set up on mine though. Raises equally now with a big stiff sway bar on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Wscott9689

its just one fill and dump valve for front and one fill and dump for back. 1 switch for front and 1 for back. no sway bar. i just think its odd because it alternates sides. if it was just one side i know i could figure something out but im lost right now.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Wscott9689

slammed 50 did yours have realtively the same problem mine is having( different side just about evrytime)?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Wscott9689

i also just remebered that i dont have my shocks yet. could this be the problem? in my first post when i said 4 valves i was meaning to say 4 vlaves total. 2 fill 2 dump. didnt mean 4 way. sorry if that came across the wrong way.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I say it's because of your air transfer. I had the same issue and all I had transferring the air between the two bags were the little 1/4" gauge lines because I didn't hook them up yet. I tried driving it like this without a sway bar it wasn't fun. I had my brother following me and he said the body roll was crazy and you could feel it not leveling it self out. For me, it was mainly the driver side that would be lower, but once in a while it was the other way around.

I recommend adding 4 more valves to give each bag it's own fill/dump so the air can't transfer between the two...it doesn't seem to "level" as you would think it would.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
Slammed50

Ok, makes a little more sense now. You have the same set up as mine, two for the front and two for the rear. Put your shocks on and run a nice heavy duty sway bar and I would say 90% of your issues will be resolved. Make sure your lines are equal length as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #11
Wscott9689

The lines are equal. I working on getting some shocks and I'll get a sway bar on the way soon. Any suggestions on a sway bar setup for a truck that was not equipped?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
Slammed50

CPP makes a nice kit with shorter frame brackets and end links. With the end links you don't have as many bag clearance issues and you only need to drill one hole in the control arm to mount it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Tony@AirRideTech

this is a simple as it gets......you have nothing controling side to side roll..... I would suggest both, a sway bar... and a four way control system.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
Shane
Account Suspended

I'm with tony ... you need more valves to isolate the bags.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
Wscott9689

thanks guys.. ive been planning on going with a 4 way setup anyways so thats on the list. im gonna get the sway bar first bacause i need that regardless than ill add the extra valves when i come across some spare change and time. maybe the sway bar will help for a couple months untill i can get to the valves
Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #16
Tony@AirRideTech

your right on the money
Old 08-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #17
texastrendz

Unless you are trying to build a corner carving truck I would not bother with the extra valves. The sway bar will fix your problem. It is just a pain to have to level the truck with eight valves unless you invest in a management system with leveling sensors. With four valves and a front sway bar it will handle fine.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #18
Slammed50

I agree with Texastrendz, unless you really want to do some corner carving don't make any serious extra work for your self and just put the sway bar on. Other wise it's four more valves to buy, wire up and plumb. And in my opinion having to make sure all four corners are level is kind of a hassle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If your going to offer advise, please ensure that you have the knowledge to do so. Controlling all four corners has nothing to do with having a "corner carving" truck. It may be "just a pain" to eliminate air transfer, but it is the best way of setting up an air suspension that controls body roll.

I agree that a sway bar should be part of your system, but it will not reduce body roll caused by air transfer adequately. At a minimum you need a 6 valve system to eliminate air transfer in the front. Controlling all four corners is your optimum choice and it IS the way to properly set up an air suspension.

[IMG]http://*************/files/how_to/wire-diagrams/6valve.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://*************/files/how_to/wire-diagrams/8valve.gif[/IMG]

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #20
texastrendz

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If your going to offer advise, please ensure that you have the knowledge to do so. Controlling all four corners has nothing to do with having a "corner carving" truck. It may be "just a pain" to eliminate air transfer, but it is the best way of setting up an air suspension that controls body roll.

I agree that a sway bar should be part of your system, but it will not reduce body roll caused by air transfer adequately. At a minimum you need a 6 valve system to eliminate air transfer in the front. Controlling all four corners is your optimum choice and it IS the way to properly set up an air suspension.

[IMG]http://*************/files/how_to/wire-diagrams/6valve.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://*************/files/how_to/wire-diagrams/8valve.gif[/IMG]
Man you crack me up sometimes.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #21
texastrendz

Opinions vary, the info i gave is accurate. I have experienced it first hand on several bagged trucks. I am not just pulling $hit out of thin air. Big block truck, long as you can buy, 4 valves with front sway only. Driven everyday.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #22
Slammed50

My "knowledge" is first hand as well with multiple vehicles air bagged and being daily driven going on nine years. Not that I disagree with a four corner set up controlling things better, just that it may not be for everyone depending on your driving style.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #23
Shane
Account Suspended

.. some here would do themselves a service by signing up for a basic "Circuits" class at their local community college.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #24
dznucks

I have an Accuair control system and I see the same type of issues you are talking about. Alot has to do with the air flow through your system and how fast the bag inflates. You could have more restrictions in one side of the plumbing that slows the fill rate to one bag.

The Accuair system lets you program preset ride heights. I can go from one preset to another and it never returns to the same stance. Its usually within 1/2". It has alot to do with how fast my bags fill. By the time the sensor tells the computer to shut the vavle, more air has gone in and raised it beyond the sensor reading. If i slowed the fill rate, i am sure it would be more accurate.

Also, i have noticed that i can change one bag and it will affect the ride height of the corners. The sway bar is a major factor there.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #25
ZR2RICK

Iv'e seen it posted elsewhere, check valves were installed before each bag to isolate them and eliminate the air transfer, anyone have experience with this setup? Obviously most people would prefer to run fewer valves(EQUALS MORE RELIABLE/LESS CONNECTIONS) unless you want individual corner control.