The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2002, 01:56 PM   #1
mooneyes

......longhornmail..........

....my buddy is putting together another 500 caddy and putting it in his longhorn..he bought another engine for pulleys etc.....we were told its a 425.... are there any caddy casting number listings out there?.. one other question is did your 425 have a harmonic balancer on it? this one did not and seemed a little scarey to me..both his other 500's had them..they were very small but there..just wondering if someone left it off or they didnt have them....thanks
70 lwb 305/700r driver
78 caprice project
02 cavalier D.D ( hate it!!)
mooneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 07:11 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The 425 does not come with a harmonic ballancer. I find it odd, that it is writen you can swap pully assemblys even though one has one, and one does not. Makes no sence to me.
I would try it, and keep the old ones on hand so you could swap back if nasty vibes are present.
The 425 has a single plain intake, and it will have an EGR located in the back of it, Also, the drivers side valve cover will have a big smog breather sticking up.
As for numbers, i don't know if this is a casting #, or something else, but on the passenger side of the sending unit behinde tha intake (bell housing) I have 1609110 on mine.
The best way to tell is to peek at the crank flange. The 425 has notches cut in the flange, while the 472/500 has a round flange.
This is a 425 crnak flange here.
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 07:16 PM   #3
Longhorn Man

There are a few things you should hold onto from the 425. The oil pan and pick up seem to be the ticket for my truck, but this depends on where you locate the engine, and what mounts and towers you use.
The external oil pump is said to be prefered over the 472/500 ones due to clearance.
Singleplain intake...that's up to the driver...I went with a daul plain off of a '71 472.
The heads are worth a little coin to the right person, as is the flywheel.
I would remove and stash the water ump, starter, and any other little do-dads that may be needed one day.
If it is out of a rear wheel drive, the manifolds are gold.
If it is a front wheel drive Eldo, I'm told the motor mounts are prefered over other models.
Hope all this is of some assistance to you and your buddy.
Now You MUST send me pics. Don't make me come up there and take the pics my self!
This one is the 472/500 flange.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2002, 03:35 AM   #4
mooneyes

thank you for the info that will help out alot..i thought not having a balancer was really odd but all the pulleys lined up without it.. i am going to try to get some pics tomorrow (sun.) i have been wanting to get pics of alot of his trucks on here for awhile and have been to busy..the longhorn is his current proiject but i definatly want to get pics of his 67 short step 2wd that has a 11:1 solid roller, tunnel ram etc. and his 72 short fleet 4x4 with 8" suspension 2" traction and 3" body lift rolling on 42's and of course the 500 caddy 70 longbed and his longhorn...ill try to get them on here tomorrow..thanks again!!!!
70 lwb 305/700r driver
78 caprice project
02 cavalier D.D ( hate it!!)
mooneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 01:10 PM   #5
Longhorn Man

Um Ken...why the heck isn't he on here? He sounds like he could be an experianced asset.