The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2006, 12:48 AM   #1
Sillyoldman

Auto parts stores ~Rant~

My local "Good 'ole boys" auto parts store closed. Recently the Walmart of parts stores opened accross the street. In need of parts I found myself in the "Zone". I stopped in and asked what they had in stock for performance cams. The girl said she had a stock for $87.00 and a high performance one for $126.00. I asked whats better about the Hi-perf cam. She said its better cause it costs more. Then I asked her if she could give me some specs on the hi-perf one. I was given the manufacturers phone number and told to refer to the Zones part number when calling. She assured me that the manufacturer would give me all the info I need. When I was educated I was told to come back to buy it.

~a couple thoughts~

1) Educate parts store employees. If not do not offer more than Cherry scented
air fresheners that "Smell totally awesome". Focus on non model specific
floor mats and neon wiper blades.
2) Don't expect a sale just for the simple reason you are there. Yes the
Franchise chased all knowlegable people out of town. Remember the
internet is a accurate source information and better deals.
3) Spanish is a handy language to know. Its great that all of the employees
know it. One english speaking person should be on hand to take care of
Majority of customers.

This is just my two cents. I hope to not have affended anyone.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 09-26-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
full foot notch

Re: Auto parts stores ~Rant~

i understand where your coming from, when i worked auto parts, there were people there that did not know anything about cars, i mean simple things like the differences in oil viscosities, or where the sparkplugs go or even how to gap them

there is a reason that autozone is nicknamed Vatozone, not trying to sound rude but just a nickname it has picked up over the years
full foot notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
redneckgirl

As a former employee of a 'Good Ole Boys' store that had to close, I definately feel your pain! I completely agree. Employees should be trained. Most of the folks working at some of the larger stores could have a second career flipping burgers. Unfortunately, it is all about the $$$. Why pay for someone with experience & knowledge when you can get any idiot off the street?
Yes, there are the occasional 'diamond in the rough' in the large chain stores. You can tell them by the amount of folks that will wait for them when there are three more guys/gals hanging around doing nothing.
But, the 'walmart' mentality of high volume, low quality parts makes it hard for the small time owner to make it. The guy I worked for had been a neighborhood staple for well over 20 years, but with the influx of PepBoys, Auto Zone & Advanced Auto parts he shut the doors.

Last edited by redneckgirl; 09-26-2006 at 07:28 AM.
redneckgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #4
shortymac83
hmm...

My dad owns an independant auto parts store - just 6 months ago he went to computers, but will still back up what he sees on the computer with his books when he doesn't find something that fits. He is also kinda fluent in cam-speak and knows his way around performance parts most of the time.

I hate Autozones, and will only go into them when it's a last resort.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
68Stepbed

I only go to chain stores for paint, oil, and car wash supplies. All I go to now is a Federated store where they still have a "good ole boy" mentality with knowledgable employees. They just opened a new AutoZone here. I went in the other day to ask for something to see how they operated. I won't be going back. Three employees used to work at Advance Auto. Imagine that.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
lilred67

i'm lucky,there are still 2 or 3 mom & pop parts stores here where i live.
no computers,they can usually get what you want without looking at a book.
i use them as often as i can and there prices compete with the wal-mart parts stores..
lilred67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

My favorite "Zone Story" is the time I bought front brake pads for my Grand Am ...

I got home and found out that they would not fit. When I took them back and explained this the parts gal looked 'em up on her computer and suggested getting hte more expensive ones "cause they must be better."
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
69-350
Oil trash and damn proud of it

We don't really have any 'ma & pa' parts stores in town, anymore, mostly it's Checkers, NAPA, CarQuest, and the dealerships. I only shop Checkers, I'm almost never in CarQuest, and I'm usually only in NAPA if I'm getting something for my boss.

Most of the guys at Checkers haven't been too bad, and as for the 'diamonds in the rough' there; well, there's been a few. One guy who used to work there is the guy who tought my brother how to rebuild engines, do this, do that, a true gearhead, builds engines, races, he knows what he's doin, and always has known what he's doin.

One of my buddies also works at Checkers. He's worked there for a while now. Smart guy about his stuff, he knew his ****, it was sad to see him move, but he got a job managing a couple Checkers stores over in Grand Forks.

As for any other good guys working parts stores, I'm hoping somewhere around next February I might be the next one. I plan to finish up a year at the place I work right now, and then go and apply at Checkers, since I'll finally be 18 (come October). Hopefully I'll end up being a 'diamond in the rough' (since I'm pretty retentive at stupid little ****, especially when it comes to vehicles, engines, performance, etc)

1997 K1500 Z71, 14 bolt SF 3.73 posi, Bright Blue Metallic. 6" Superlift
1972 C-10, toolbox, p/s, 350/TH350/3.73 open, black int., bronze
2008 Dodge MegaCab. H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins. Fast Four Tons

Some of my pics http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/69-350/
69-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
shortymac83
hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred67 View Post
i'm lucky,there are still 2 or 3 mom & pop parts stores here where i live.
no computers,they can usually get what you want without looking at a book.
i use them as often as i can and there prices compete with the wal-mart parts stores..
That's how my dad's store is. And his prices are within a couple percent of anywhere else...

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #10
1969 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyoldman View Post
My local "Good 'ole boys" auto parts store closed. Recently the Walmart of parts stores opened accross the street. In need of parts I found myself in the "Zone". I stopped in and asked what they had in stock for performance cams. The girl said she had a stock for $87.00 and a high performance one for $126.00. I asked whats better about the Hi-perf cam. She said its better cause it costs more. Then I asked her if she could give me some specs on the hi-perf one. I was given the manufacturers phone number and told to refer to the Zones part number when calling. She assured me that the manufacturer would give me all the info I need. When I was educated I was told to come back to buy it.

~a couple thoughts~

1) Educate parts store employees. If not do not offer more than Cherry scented
air fresheners that "Smell totally awesome". Focus on non model specific
floor mats and neon wiper blades.
2) Don't expect a sale just for the simple reason you are there. Yes the
Franchise chased all knowlegable people out of town. Remember the
internet is a accurate source information and better deals.
3) Spanish is a handy language to know. Its great that all of the employees
know it. One english speaking person should be on hand to take care of
Majority of customers.

This is just my two cents. I hope to not have affended anyone.
i'm just curious why the heck you'd go to autozone for a cam? summit racing and jeg's have built their reputation selling performance parts for many years, and autozone has built its rep as a last resort for people knowledgeable enough to shop from better places, and for stupid ricer accessories. It's kinda like getting burritos from mcdonalds...sure, you can do it...but do you really want to?
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #11
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 GMC View Post
i'm just curious why the heck you'd go to autozone for a cam? summit racing and jeg's have built their reputation selling performance parts for many years, and autozone has built its rep as a last resort for people knowledgeable enough to shop from better places, and for stupid ricer accessories. It's kinda like getting burritos from mcdonalds...sure, you can do it...but do you really want to?

Honestly, I went there with really no thoughts of buying. I went there knowing I'd leave dissapointed, but held onto the idea that I may be surprised. I guess instant gratification is a thing of the past.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #12
Ironclad454
Registered loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-350 View Post
We don't really have any 'ma & pa' parts stores in town, anymore, mostly it's Checkers, NAPA, CarQuest, and the dealerships. I only shop Checkers, I'm almost never in CarQuest, and I'm usually only in NAPA if I'm getting something for my boss.

Most of the guys at Checkers haven't been too bad, and as for the 'diamonds in the rough' there; well, there's been a few. One guy who used to work there is the guy who tought my brother how to rebuild engines, do this, do that, a true gearhead, builds engines, races, he knows what he's doin, and always has known what he's doin.

One of my buddies also works at Checkers. He's worked there for a while now. Smart guy about his stuff, he knew his ****, it was sad to see him move, but he got a job managing a couple Checkers stores over in Grand Forks.

As for any other good guys working parts stores, I'm hoping somewhere around next February I might be the next one. I plan to finish up a year at the place I work right now, and then go and apply at Checkers, since I'll finally be 18 (come October). Hopefully I'll end up being a 'diamond in the rough' (since I'm pretty retentive at stupid little ****, especially when it comes to vehicles, engines, performance, etc)

See here its CarQuest i go to first then Napa, then as an absolute last ditch Saturday night gotta have a part to fix it, i'll got to Checkers. Any place that sells non-Auto related things like Snack foods, is not a parts store imho. Car Quest has the most Knowledgable people here and Napa is second, plus its just down the street from Carquest. Checkers is the Idiot store around here, no one knows what the hell thier doing.

1996 Buick Riviera 3.8L S/C V6- DD
1973 Chevrolet Cheyenne Super C/10 LWB 454/TH350
Ironclad454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #13
chevybill

In my home town, there is only one "true" parts store and that is a NAPA store. There is only one real traditional "parts guy" in the store. Everyone else including the guy who owns the store has to look everything up. The owner is the second generation to operate the store. In houston, 25 miles to my east there is a napa, carquest and an independent (mom and pop store that stocks wix filters). All three have some guys that are pretty knowledegable.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:11 PM   #14
69-350
Oil trash and damn proud of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclad454 View Post
See here its CarQuest i go to first then Napa, then as an absolute last ditch Saturday night gotta have a part to fix it, i'll got to Checkers. Any place that sells non-Auto related things like Snack foods, is not a parts store imho. Car Quest has the most Knowledgable people here and Napa is second, plus its just down the street from Carquest. Checkers is the Idiot store around here, no one knows what the hell thier doing.
I'm not sure about CarQuest here, I'm sure most the guys are alright, and we do have one guy working there who's back at machineing (I know he was gone for a while, I guess the lathe broke and sent a chunk of metal into his eye, so he was done with it for a long while). NAPA is okay, but I'd prefer Checkers. Most of the guys who work there (all like three, four, five of them) are okay, and every once in a while there's been a real good guy there (I can think of two offhand, maybe I'll make another one?) I can't really say much about Checkers bad or anything, afterall, I always go there, and I've spent a lot of money there.

1997 K1500 Z71, 14 bolt SF 3.73 posi, Bright Blue Metallic. 6" Superlift
1972 C-10, toolbox, p/s, 350/TH350/3.73 open, black int., bronze
2008 Dodge MegaCab. H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins. Fast Four Tons

Some of my pics http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/69-350/
69-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #15
GoobersBlueBurban
Account Suspended

here in Paris we have, Car Quest(Cullum Auto Parts), Alan's, big name: O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, ABC, Napa..i have NEVER been inside the Napa..I usually go to Car Quest(Cullum) or go to O'Reilly's. I know everyone that works at both stores. I do not go to Auto Zone or Napa or ABC..buncha Retards in there..give'em some bouncy balls or bubble gum, and look the sh!t up myself!!!
GoobersBlueBurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:33 PM   #16
bigarmzz

the local "idiot" store here for parts is Advance auto....

they got more women working there than at a jewelry store...

...everytime i call to price something there, i always get a women (no offense ladies) at this store, they dont know where they are in this world..much less where anything is in the store

heck, ...i could ask for a set of mud flaps and she'd say "is that a four wheel drive", or "what size motor?"

Last edited by bigarmzz; 09-26-2006 at 09:34 PM.
bigarmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:22 PM   #17
redneckgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz View Post
the local "idiot" store here for parts is Advance auto....

they got more women working there than at a jewelry store...

...everytime i call to price something there, i always get a women (no offense ladies) at this store, they dont know where they are in this world..much less where anything is in the store

heck, ...i could ask for a set of mud flaps and she'd say "is that a four wheel drive", or "what size motor?"

No offense taken. It has gotten to the point around here, that even I get nervous when a woman answers the phone, or is working the counter... I feel like a hypocrite for saying it, but...what can I say????
Old 09-26-2006, 11:53 PM   #18
84 400
Sb 400 club

yeah no mom and pos near me. i got a small chain store were people know what they are talking about and one auto zone were the counter people actually work on there own cars and know a thing or two. However Napa seems to be pretty good up here to. fo high preformance stuff i buy from race shops cause they know whats what.
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:51 AM   #19
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckgirl View Post
No offense taken. It has gotten to the point around here, that even I get nervous when a woman answers the phone, or is working the counter... I feel like a hypocrite for saying it, but...what can I say????
I JUST MOVED TO KY. SO I DON'T THE PARTS STORE FIGURED OUT HERE YET. BUT I'M HOPEFUL. IN CARSON CITY THERE WAS AN AUTOZONE A FEW MILES FROM MY HOUSE. IT WAS A GOOD PLACE TO GET A CAN OF PB BLASTER OR A JUG OF PRESTONE OR EVEN A GASKET (PROVIDING YOU KNEW WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE). ANYWAY THE MOST KNOWLEDGABLE PERSON (BY FAR)WORKING THERE WAS A YOUNG GIRL OF ABOUT 23 OR SO. I HAVE NO IDEA OF HER BACKGROUND , BUT SHE REALLY KNEW HER WAY AROUND
THRU THE AUTO-PARTS SYSTEM & HAD A WORKING UDERSTANDING OF HOW AN INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE WORKS. SOUNDS SIMPLE BUT I'LL BET 97% OF THE POPULATION HAVE NO IDEA AT ALL HOW OR WHY THEY OPERATE. JUST MY 2 CENTS JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #20
project1971

we only have autozonenapa, and oreillys here in ok, we have a mom and pop here in norman called palace auto supply. The dealership i work at uses them for differant brand parts we don't carry, but recently going to Napa for faster delivery. You can't go into a parts store here in norman on game weekend and expect to get ANY help what so ever, you can hear the game going on in the back. I have only gone to autozone when the wifes honda check enging light came on for them to pull codes, then i just got the code and looked it up myself because they have NO idea what to do with it after that. Atleast at palace we get a discount if I tell them where i work or go in with my uniform. Oreilly doesn't, same street price if I walked in off the street.
2000 Cavalier z24 (gas saver)
project1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #21
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

We have Carquest, Napa, Autozonies, and O Really's. The Carquest used to be a top notch place until the new owners and now they don't care for anything. The guys that worked at Carquest are now at the NAPA and they have definitely improved in service. O' Really's has the right parts that I like, but the NON-wrenching parts counter guy needs help to find it. Auto Zoonies opens everywhere an O' Really is, just to provide competition and they are not on my shopping list. Their counter people, in my town, are really needing education on the products. I also firmly believe, that buying a part, there should be a knowledge about the product. I will travel to get what I need, if I have to.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:06 PM   #22
7387chevys

wholesale auto parts
7387chevys is offline   Reply With Quote