The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
lks dcvn

door to fender alignment - 71 4wd Blazer - pix inside

I'm having some trouble aligning the front of the door to the rear of the front fender on the passenger side of my blazer project - larger gap than I would like at the top where the cowl panel meets.

I have tried using both the OEM fender that was on it before I started and a replacement fender and they are both similar in fit - so thinking I may need to pull the door forward in the opening (toward the hood), but that will throw off the gap to the rear quarter.
  • body mounts and bolts - replaced all new - shimmed as needed before starting any rust repair
  • prior to starting rust repair - installed and aligned new AMD doors that I would be using after body work was completed using rebuilt OEM hinges
  • there is no shim at the floor body mount - just the bolt and the mount. there was no shim there when I replaced them either. I would have considered removing a shim here to get the front to settle down a bit.
  • top was bolted on truck and doors aligned to shut normal before starting on any rust repair
  • rust repaired in floor, cab mount, a-pillar and kick panel.
  • alignment to rear quarter - consistent (top to bottom) you can push door closed and it will latch easily - just like before rust repair started
  • swapped old door hinges for another set of OEM hinges that were already rebuilt when initially installing doors prior to body work
  • the old doors on it prior to me starting the rust repair were not OEM
  • cowl panel is just loosely bolted in to show reference to surrounding sheet metal

Some before/after pix for reference.

My options appear to be:
  1. drop a-pillar down a bit to enable gaps to close (no shims to remove though - so unclear how I would settle this area downward)
  2. move door forward in pocket - throwing off the b-pillar alignment with quarter panel
  3. elongate holes in fender and tip top of fender in to close gap - shim at core support
  4. weld filler panel on front of door to close gap near fender (I'd rather not if I can help it)
  5. live with the 1/4" gap in that area?
Attached Images

lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:24 AM   #2
blazer2007

Re: door to fender alignment - 71 4wd Blazer - pix inside

I,m having the same trouble with my 78 blazer, really fighting me. Truck was easier. Wonder if it,s a Blazer thing. Anyway I,ve watched a build thread on u tube called Baily,s build and he did a show on his door gaps and he had to add material or take some off on his fender or door. Just the bad aftermarket parts I would think.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
Thealien

I am just guessing and do not really know.

How does the windshield gap to door frame look at the top? Adding a shim to the footwell body mount will close it. Adding one to the next location would open it. If you have extra shims cut a slot in them so you do not have to remove the bolts to install and remove them. Once you get the B pillar and windshield to door as close as you can move to the fender. If needed you might have to shim the core support up to close that top gap if it remains after everything else?
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #4
scott123

Factory gaps were not as perfect as we would like to think, then mixing and matching parts adds to the variables.

If you are a metal guy you could add a strip to the door to fill the gap but that is a lot of work.

When I use an aftermarket fender I slot all the bolt holes to give me that little bit more.

I'm gathering all the parts now to switch my 72 back to a 72 from a 68 front clip. The gaps now are not good and I am worried they will get worse.

When you figure it out, please share.

Good luck.

Scott
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I used a repop fender on my blazer back in the day, it was unreal how far off the mounting holes were...had to do alot of slotting...
Like Scott said..factory gaps were far from perfect

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:51 PM   #6
lks dcvn

Thanks for the replies all - I mocked up the driver side and that is much closer top to bottom between the fender and door. I do need to open up the lower fender opening to allow the lower fender to ease down a bit at the style line.

Any shifting I thought I could do in the front clip (to close the gap on the pass side) may need to be reconsidered so I don't mess up that side making adjustments.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
Keith Seymore

Looks good to me; ship it!

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote