The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #276
Paul Y

Re: The English are coming! Or..another C10 in the Motherland.

Had an hour today whilst I dodged the rain and endeavoured to cut the grass. So, whilst sheltering from the downpours I took this...

Added the compression fittings and ended up here...

where it has become apparent that the braided hoses are slightly too long. Oh sausages... might be able to reroute them and take a little of the tension out but will revise that once I have the final position for the tank locked in.

Time to turn my attention to this.

For those not in the know this is a 2005 LM7 out of a 2005 Silverado, purchased with a reported 89K under its belt, a factory race engine prime for a little forced induction...

I had previously 'thrown' the sump, pick up and windage tray from a CTS-V on there as the truck sump hangs down below the crossmember on a C10. PLUS this sump set up has better oil control as I do intend to hoon Woody around once he is back up and running.

Why take the sump back off then? Two reasons.

1. I wanted to fit this little doo hicky - a brace for the pick up tube as standard the oil pump is drilled for two but only gets one. Might be nothing, might be something but it is cheap insurance

Sorry, no picture of it fitted, I forgot.

2. A friend has offered to weld in the turbo return oil bung if I get the sump over to him tomorrow and, as it is not contaminated with oil as yet, seemed like an offer I couldn't turn down.

Whilst there I thought Would remind myself on the condition of the engine which is remarkably good and hold up to the theory that it is a 89K engine with regular oil changes.

The cross hatching is still evident on the cylinder walls as well.

PLUS! this looks as if it is a Gen3/4 crossover engine with the better rods so even more reason to intro the Whirly Boi.

And finally...

Finally took what is probably the must useless tool in my box out of its wrapper for the very first time. I have no idea why I am in possession of a lb-in torque wrench but today I used it to correctly tighten the pick up tube bolts to 8.8lbft or 106 lb-in.

And that brings you up to date. Going to set another 6 week target for myself starting over the bank holiday weekend so that when my mysterious benefactor sends me a T56 I am ready to go...

Yea Right....

Anyway, until the next time...

Onwards!

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:14 PM   #277
Paul Y

Have next week off so have agreed with Lady P that I can have 2 days ‘Woody Time’ Narf, Narf….

Short term plan is to get the engine in and running, fingers crossed that all the lines hold fuel without leaking, plus it will be another thing ticked off the list. Will definitely be out again for a tidy up but, for motivation, a good plan.

Also want to get the cab floor stripped, fire wall bare metalled and any seam sealing done so that I can get it in paint by the end of September, early October. Still undecided as to if I will strip and paint the interior as yet - sort of swaying between a yes and a no.

Only major things left to buy is a wiring loom, gearbox and prop shaft, set of front tyres and the paint and materials to complete the above.

Better start doing the lottery!

P.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #278
jmarkha1

Great progress on the rolling chassis.
I was in the same boat re. how far to go with the cab paint but decided to blast the shell and epoxy prime and go from there. (not done yet)
I found a place in Wiltshire that will do the cab inside and out and apply 2k epoxy to protect it. Prior projects I have wire wheeled and scraped away for weeks but always regretted not going back to steel.

That LS you have looks very tidy inside - I bought a used core sight unseen and it was immaculate inside - apart from a bad lifter that got swapped out - hope you get a good couple of days on it next week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
Have next week off so have agreed with Lady P that I can have 2 days ‘Woody Time’ Narf, Narf….

Short term plan is to get the engine in and running, fingers crossed that all the lines hold fuel without leaking, plus it will be another thing ticked off the list. Will definitely be out again for a tidy up but, for motivation, a good plan.

Also want to get the cab floor stripped, fire wall bare metalled and any seam sealing done so that I can get it in paint by the end of September, early October. Still undecided as to if I will strip and paint the interior as yet - sort of swaying between a yes and a no.

Only major things left to buy is a wiring loom, gearbox and prop shaft, set of front tyres and the paint and materials to complete the above.

Better start doing the lottery!

P.
jmarkha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:32 AM   #279
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkha1 View Post
Great progress on the rolling chassis.
I was in the same boat re. how far to go with the cab paint but decided to blast the shell and epoxy prime and go from there. (not done yet)
I found a place in Wiltshire that will do the cab inside and out and apply 2k epoxy to protect it. Prior projects I have wire wheeled and scraped away for weeks but always regretted not going back to steel.

That LS you have looks very tidy inside - I bought a used core sight unseen and it was immaculate inside - apart from a bad lifter that got swapped out - hope you get a good couple of days on it next week...
Having built cars with £5-10K paint jobs I won't be doing that again! Woody will stay with his original battle scared paint, I do however like to have a smart engine bay so will blast the fire wall once Grizz has finished with my blaster.

The challenge comes with where do you stop... IF I paint the interior then do I blast it. If I am going to blast it do I take the windows out. If I take the windows out.... and so the snowball grows....

Fully expecting to change out some lifters and trays once I have the engine fired up but, hopefully I can put that off until I have a few miles under my belt. PLUS! I have the damn Christmas tree to pick up in Woody that has now become pretty much the only thing my daughter talks about....

Will wonder over and have a look at your build.

Thanks!

P.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:38 AM   #280
jmarkha1

I hear you - the"original " plan was patina truck with immaculate interior and mechanicals. that way I don't have to worry about actually using it as a truck or parking it up and not worrying.
Will see what happens once the cab is done.

I also need to start a build thread to get some much needed enthusiasm :-)

Quote:
Having built cars with £5-10K paint jobs I won't be doing that again! Woody will stay with his original battle scared paint, I do however like to have a smart engine bay so will blast the fire wall once Grizz has finished with my blaster.

The challenge comes with where do you stop... IF I paint the interior then do I blast it. If I am going to blast it do I take the windows out. If I take the windows out.... and so the snowball grows....

Fully expecting to change out some lifters and trays once I have the engine fired up but, hopefully I can put that off until I have a few miles under my belt. PLUS! I have the damn Christmas tree to pick up in Woody that has now become pretty much the only thing my daughter talks about....

Will wonder over and have a look at your build.

Thanks!

P.
Old 08-26-2021, 06:42 AM   #281
Paul Y

Just had a quick search and your truck looks very nice! Like the yellow.

I could be tempted to convert to a BBW at some point but... Snowball....

Start the build thread - it is great just to document your progress plus there is an awful lot of shared knowledge on here that makes the build process that much easier.

P.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #282
88Stanger

Quote:
I hear you - the"original " plan was patina truck with immaculate interior and mechanicals. that way I don't have to worry about actually using it as a truck or parking it up and not worrying.
Will see what happens once the cab is done.

I also need to start a build thread to get some much needed enthusiasm :-)
Start a build thread!! It is great to watch others build theirs and then learn from others also, get great input and just be part of the fun!
Paul has done a great job so far on this build and it is awesome to watch is as he does it.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #283
jmarkha1

Thanks 88Stanger and PaulY for the nudge.
Yes - I have been collecting pictures already so will start a build thread and share the journey - I check build threads pretty much every day on here so I should join in the fun really.

will start part1 asap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Start a build thread!! It is great to watch others build theirs and then learn from others also, get great input and just be part of the fun!
Paul has done a great job so far on this build and it is awesome to watch is as he does it.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:59 AM   #284
Paul Y

Quote:
Thanks 88Stanger and PaulY for the nudge.
Yes - I have been collecting pictures already so will start a build thread and share the journey - I check build threads pretty much every day on here so I should join in the fun really.

will start part1 asap...
Look forward to it!

P.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:44 PM   #285
Paul Y

very quick update and a question to those who are following along.

So This....

Tells me two things.

1. The lowest part of Woody is going to be the crossmember so my measuring was pretty much spot on with the CTS-V sump

2. Mr. Grinder will be making a further visit to Mrs Spring.

But that is something that can be fixed...later...

Why the engine test fit?

Exactly that, to test the fit of the TBSS manifolds - a little trim will be required on the drinkers side.

Captains side is fine.

Had to do a little 'light' clearancing on the engine mounts to get it to all sit nicely but other than that really pleased with the mounting kit. Good news is that once the cab is back on I can finalise the position of the engine, I want to get it as far back and as low down as possible. Between the adapter plates and the adjustment in the stands there is lots of room for activities....

Other reason for fitting the engine was to check clearance for the turbo return.

I have been procrastinating on this far more than usual, there is a part of me that doesn't want to start drilling holes in the sump but also another part of me that realises if I don't then the Choo Choo will probably not materialise.

With that being said I am actually really pleased I decided to wait and test it as where I originally planned on putting the return would have meant getting the line onto it would have been a real pain.

Therefore this is where I have decided to drill a hole.

That brings you up today on todays attempts. Doesn't look like much but had to extract the crane from the darkest corner of the garage, make an engine hook and keep an ear out for if/when the Spa GP was going to start.

Thats my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Right. For this that have got this far you might remember that I had a question.

The LS is not the most cosmetically appealing engine ever created, and I am not one for building covers, but I would like to apply a little lipstick to the pig. Question is, what?

Here are the current choices, please feel free to make your own suggestions.

1. Paint the block Chevy Orange and wrinkle red the valve covers. Blast and lacquer the aluminium engine parts.

2. Paint the engine Black and wrinkle black the valve covers. Blast and lacquer the aluminium engine parts.

3. Leave it as it is - no amount of lipstick is going to get this pig a date.

Until the next time... Onwards!

P.

Old 08-29-2021, 03:22 PM   #286
SkinnyG

Don't Mr. Grinder the Mr. Springs until the rest of Mr. Weight is sitting on them.

I welded the turbo drain to the pan, which warped the pan and required some re-surfacing. If I were to do it again, I'd probably just thread the pan and maybe put a nut on the backside to clamp it all together. Or lots of silicone or Permatex thread sealer.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:20 PM   #287
Paul Y

I had arranged for pal who can weld aluminium to put the drain in but, after speaking to another pal who I get my fixings from, have decided to use a bulkhead fitting with some special washers he gave me.

Plan is to pull the engine again tomorrow, drill the hole and have it all back in before lunch time. If that goes according to plan then going to see if I can get it to spin over ahead of plumbing in the remaining fuel lines.

Mrs Spring is safe for the foreseeable future Skinny, but she knows her days are numbered....

P.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:26 PM   #288
jmarkha1

for what its worth I would:

paint the block chevy orange.
blast and laq ally stuff
fit SBC covers - black with polished fins.

plus for bonus points - hide those coils somewhere...

OR just leave it as is...

Fit SBC early valve covers on adapters.
Hide those coils and
Quote:
very quick update and a question to those who are following along.

So This....

Tells me two things.

1. The lowest part of Woody is going to be the crossmember so my measuring was pretty much spot on with the CTS-V sump

2. Mr. Grinder will be making a further visit to Mrs Spring.

But that is something that can be fixed...later...

Why the engine test fit?

Exactly that, to test the fit of the TBSS manifolds - a little trim will be required on the drinkers side.

Captains side is fine.

Had to do a little 'light' clearancing on the engine mounts to get it to all sit nicely but other than that really pleased with the mounting kit. Good news is that once the cab is back on I can finalise the position of the engine, I want to get it as far back and as low down as possible. Between the adapter plates and the adjustment in the stands there is lots of room for activities....

Other reason for fitting the engine was to check clearance for the turbo return.

I have been procrastinating on this far more than usual, there is a part of me that doesn't want to start drilling holes in the sump but also another part of me that realises if I don't then the Choo Choo will probably not materialise.

With that being said I am actually really pleased I decided to wait and test it as where I originally planned on putting the return would have meant getting the line onto it would have been a real pain.

Therefore this is where I have decided to drill a hole.

That brings you up today on todays attempts. Doesn't look like much but had to extract the crane from the darkest corner of the garage, make an engine hook and keep an ear out for if/when the Spa GP was going to start.

Thats my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Right. For this that have got this far you might remember that I had a question.

The LS is not the most cosmetically appealing engine ever created, and I am not one for building covers, but I would like to apply a little lipstick to the pig. Question is, what?

Here are the current choices, please feel free to make your own suggestions.

1. Paint the block Chevy Orange and wrinkle red the valve covers. Blast and lacquer the aluminium engine parts.

2. Paint the engine Black and wrinkle black the valve covers. Blast and lacquer the aluminium engine parts.

3. Leave it as it is - no amount of lipstick is going to get this pig a date.

Until the next time... Onwards!

P.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:40 PM   #289
Paul Y

Warning! Lots of pictures of not a lot.

I finally put on my big girl pants and decided to drill holes to fit this.

One small problem.

So... after a lot of measuring, re measuring sitting on the milk crate of inspiration I finally did drilling.

and then some cutting.

and then some fitting with the super washers that Mark gave me to stop leakage.

Yup, that works. Misses the oil pick up and is significantly above the level of the oil. Phew.

Next job was to finally fit the sump for hopefully the last time until Choo Choo time. This is my first LS, previously had lots of small blocks and big blocks and I can already see the appeal. Things like reusable gaskets is such a nice change from the fit once, scrape off and buy another that has been my previous engine experience.

A little dab of red sealer on the joints and then fit for the final time.

With the engine buttoned up it was time to commence operation "Lipstick on Pig". Stripped off the exhaust manifolds starter motor etc block off the exhaust ports blah blah blah and get down to a little cleaning.

Before

After.

Removal of the rocker covers revealed more to support the low mileage and regular oil changes.

One side done. Actually looks OK.

Before

After

NEXT! Off with the inlet to give the underside a bit of a clean.

Not too much evidence of rodents!

The inlet and coil pack actually cleaned up quite nicely.

Annnndddd here it is all buttoned up. I will clean up the front accessories when I put the new cam in but for now... that will do Donkey....

Oh, you know I said that my lb-in torque wrench was the most useless tool in my box? I take it back. Everything on an LS, well apart from the big stuff, is in lb-in.

I did warn you there were a whole load of pictures...

Until the next time.

Onwards!

P.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:53 PM   #290
88Stanger

Looking good sir!!!!

I just posted a note on the Wiring to another thread related to the harness and options. Not sure what route you are going, just listed it there for all.

It will be so much fun!!! I need to get more on mine....
Old 08-31-2021, 02:13 PM   #291
Paul Y

Thanks Jeff,, saw that.

My engine came with a Speartech harness and tune hence why I am just going to throw it in and run it as is rather than put in a cam etc.

I have looked at the TunerPro software, which is free, to tune the LS but, I am leaning more and more towards to the Terminator X as I can probably get half of the money back by selling the loom and computer I have. PLUS! I have looked over a friends shoulder when he has been tuning via the GameBoy and it is just about my level - even considering a lifetime in IT....

But! First things first, just going to fire it up as is - hopefully this week dependant on if the final hoses come in.

Stay tuned. I feel an epic fail incoming....

P.

Old 09-02-2021, 03:33 PM   #292
88Stanger

A few things to know that i found, when i first started my 5.3:
1.) At first i had 0 oil pressure. I learned that you must "pre-prime" the oil pump. There are a few ways to do this, i bought a drill operated pump, adapter that mounts to the front of the motor and one that mounts just behind the oil filter - this one is for reading the oil pressure.
2.) Due to my cam and such, i could not get any vacuum to run my power brakes and had to get a Hydro-Boost system.

Just a few thoughts.....
Old 09-02-2021, 06:22 PM   #293
Paul Y

In the final push to get Woody's engine fired up, even if it is just for 30 seconds or so, today was the day I had set aside to fit the fuel pump and test the fuel lines for leaks ahead of 'turning the key' tomorrow.

First things first, let's set up a beauty shot.

What we have here Ladies and Gentlemen is a Chevy Blazer fuel...basket?... and a Walbro 450 fuel pump, good enough for more than my planned 500whp.

First challenge.

Bumhats. Not the slot A in tab B assembly I was hoping for...

Never mind, I have a set of those de pinning keys I purchased on a whim several years ago so this should be an easy job, right?

Wrong.

Lets just say that I eventually got the pins out but it was in no way thanks to the miracle of the de pinning keys... Grrrr.

Anyway, eventually ended up with...

Which I 'skilfully' (ahem) attached to the plug wiring that came with the pump.

Aaaannnnnnndddd this is where it all went a bit Pete Tong.

See the blue clip that I have carefully circled in red. Yes that one on the left. Well, its job is to hold the wires in place to stop them falling out - in conjunction with the hateful pins already mentioned.

Well, as I went to re insert it into the plug it decided it had had enough of my nonsense and shot off like one of Elon's rockets at a trajectory across the garage, never to be seen again. I spent 2 hours searching for it until I was at thermo nuclear levels of annoyance - for those that know me I don't get annoyed so lets just say the best thing I could do was to close the garage doors and retreat to watch some trash TV.

Question for those of you have more experience than me on such things, can I 'Just" fill the connector up with silicon to hold the wires in place instead of the clip? Will it be affected by the fuel?

If anybody has any ideas or advice I would appreciate it.

As my old boss used to tell me 'Hope is not a Strategy' but I am hoping I will go out there again tomorrow and find the hateful blue clip sitting on the bench - or one of you bright sparks comes up with a solution.

So, until tomorrow.

Onwards!

P.

Old 09-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #294
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
A few things to know that i found, when i first started my 5.3:
1.) At first i had 0 oil pressure. I learned that you must "pre-prime" the oil pump. There are a few ways to do this, i bought a drill operated pump, adapter that mounts to the front of the motor and one that mounts just behind the oil filter - this one is for reading the oil pressure.
2.) Due to my cam and such, i could not get any vacuum to run my power brakes and had to get a Hydro-Boost system.

Just a few thoughts.....
Thanks Jeff,

I have knocked up an oil primer using a weed sprayer, a few old bits of pipe and a connector or two after seeing a number of YouTube videos exiling how to do it.

I could just take the plugs out and wind the engine over on the starter but as it has been without oil for the past 5 or 6 years -PLUS! whilst LS's might be given away with your breakfast cereal in the USA, over in the MotherLand they are a bit few and far between so cheap insurance.

Cam is a boggo standard at the moment and I have manual brakes so vacuum is not an issue. Yet!

Always appreciate your comments.

P.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:15 PM   #295
Paul Y

Apparently hope is a strategy.

Upon opening the garage door and wondering over to my 'clean' workbench I decided to have a further tidy up and TA DAAA! the missing blue clip appeared, as if by magic sitting on top of my band saw.... Grrrr....

I could have wired the pump directly to the pins to reduce the amount of connectors but, if I find myself stranded at the side of the road with a failed pump, it is going to be easier to unplug and replug rather than have to un pin and re pin. Notice the multimeter above, I did do all sorts of things that I really don't understand but it proved the wiring is good. Phew.

NEXT!

Time to fit the pump in the carrier, think I might need to do a little clearancing.

Thats better.

Aaannnnddd...

Assembled.

Not got a picture but measured to the bottom of the tank and to the bottom of the sock and there is about a 1/4 clearance. Perfect.

Last part of the fuel system is the regulator, feed and return lines.

Will end up using bulkhead fittings through the inner wing once everything is back together but for the moment this will do to test and get the engine started.

Talking of which...

Oil filters. This may come across as a mini rant but bear with me.

For those keeping score I changed the sump over to a CTS-V from the truck one originally fitted, which meant I had to get a metric oil filter.

Call the usual suspects to see if they have a Wix filter in stock, my preferred brand, and yes they do. Huzzah!

That will be £16.40.

Plus VAT.

Plus shipping.

AT £9.20!!!!!

Now I know we all need to make a profit to live on but £30.72 for an oil filter?

Ended up getting a K&N one directly from K&N for £13 delivered.

Good enough for Nascar so good enough for me.

Next!

Unlike the good old small block the oil pump can not be spun over with a drill on the LS as it is driven from the crank.

Under normal circumstances I would just crank it over until the oil pressure came up and then connect the coils and...VROOM... but Woody's new heart has been without oil for the past 6 years so decided to whip together a pre lube tool, just in case....

Heath Robinson would be proud...

So what is this wonderful contraction then?

A weed sprayer from Screwfix, a few connectors and a bit of hose plus an AN fitting and some hose clamps. Oh yes. and a compressor.

No it is not pretty, Yes it worked.

In theory all that's left to do is to put some super unleaded in the tank, run the pump to make sure there are no leaks. Plug in the harness, connect the computer. Add a battery and...turn the key

Oh, and fit the exhaust manifold.

Start crossing your fingers now, tomorrow is going to be epic.

Only time will tell if it is glorious success or epic fail....

Until tomorrow.

Onwards!

P.

Old 09-03-2021, 05:49 PM   #296
jmarkha1

Ah - looks like you’re all set Paul - that pre- oiling setup looks very interesting- I’ll have to get the list of fittings you needed and try to replicate - have a good Saturday fire up 👍
Old 09-03-2021, 11:25 PM   #297
SkinnyG

I have the same fuel pressure regulator. Where are you mounting yours?
Old 09-04-2021, 05:15 AM   #298
Grizz1963

Excellent job mate.

Looking forward to the start up video.
Grizz1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:19 AM   #299
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I have the same fuel pressure regulator. Where are you mounting yours?
Undecided as yet Skinny until I get the body and front end back on.

Could fit it on the inner wing with a couple of bulkhead fittings but will have to be mindful of the Turboooooo placement and exhaust routing.

Obvious place is on the bulkhead but the heater box makes that a challenge.

In hindsight - a wonderful thing - I would probably run the fuel lines up the drivers side but too late now!

What are you thinking of?

P.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #300
SkinnyG

I have mine on the firewall (bulkhead?) right behind the intake manifold. Fuel feed and return coming up driver's side (er, left side), and kind of up the tunnel to the regulator to avoid exhaust heat (using braided teflon lines to be E85 friendly, though zero E85 stations anywhere near me).

I put a couple Nutserts in the firewall to mount the reg. I'm using factory heat, and an under-dash AC unit, so there was lots of room in mine.